The Heights

Chapter 3

“Where have you been? You have missed our weekly meeting twice in a row.”
“I know, dad. I’m sorry. Something came up.”
It was a week since Roberto and Anthony met and things were going well. Jose would escort him wherever he needed to go and Anthony found it awkward at first but got used to it. Roberto would check in every night to make sure he was okay. With each passing night, he would stay a little longer. Last night he stayed up with Roberto until 2AM just talking. Anthony was starting to develop a crush on his new friend/bodyguard but he knew that Roberto was straight and there was no chance for them.
It was Friday and Anthony was sitting in his dad’s office. His father had salt and pepper hair cut close to the scalp. He never liked these meetings. It was his father's chance to talk political strategy and criticize Anthony on not being more pragmatic. He hadn't even told Rodney that he was jumped a week ago. It was for the better. Anthony kept glancing at the clock. It was almost 8pm. He usually never stays this late. Maybe Roberto was worried.
"Anthony, I have decided that I’m going to run for governor." Rodney said. Anthony wasn't paying attention to the conversation.
"You're doing what?"
"Running for governor. I've heard from my contacts in Sacramento that Governor Fitzgerald won't be seeking a third term. He's planning on a presidential bid. Now I don't know who the Republicans will be running in his place but this is my best chance."
Anthony was shocked. His dad had been mayor of Los Angeles for fifteen years and had never expressed interest in higher office.
"Why, dad? Why governor?"
"Opportunity, of course. Think about it. I'm the first black person to be mayor of this metropolis. I can be California's first black governor. Plus it’s a great step up to any other political office I want to pursue. Like the Senate seat your grandfather will vacate once he retires."
"But who will take your place?"
"The deputy mayor until the end of my term. But after that, the field is wide open. I think you should run.”
“Dad, I’m not even a full year into my council term and you are already talking about me replacing you?” There was an edge to his voice. His dad was obsessed with power and legacy.
“People like you, son. You connect with them. That is the basic building block to any successful politician. You’ll have a couple of years under your belt by the time you begin to run. We’ve got to start planning your future.”
“Exactly. My future. MY FUTURE. You know next time you want to start using me as a pawn for your legacy, don’t. I’ll do what I feel is best for me.”
“Now Anthony I didn’t mean-“
Before his father could finish his sentence, Anthony stormed out of his office. He stepped off the elevator into the main lobby only to find Roberto chatting with the security guard, waiting for him.
“R-R-R-Roberto? What are you doing here? I thought Jose was going to take me home.”
“He was, but I decided to escort you home tonight. That, and I’m hungry. Figure you would be too.” Roberto noticed that Anthony seemed flustered. “You alright, amigo?”
“I’m fine. Let’s go.” Anthony walked briskly past Roberto out onto the street. It was a cool spring night in the city. The sun was setting, giving the sky a dark pink and orange tint to it. Roberto was confused. Why was he in a bad mood tonight? Was something bothering him? Roberto decided that Anthony would tell him in his own time.
Twenty minutes later and Roberto’s black Chrysler 300 is cruising on the Great Western Highway heading north. Anthony was still pissed about what his father said to him to even notice they weren’t even in Los Angeles anymore. Roberto had put on some music on to ease the mood. Anthony hadn’t said a word since getting into the car. Roberto had an idea as to where they should go for dinner.
“We’re in Malibu.” Anthony finally spoke.
“Currently, yes.” Roberto responded.
“Where are you taking me?”
“I would tell you but then I would have to kill you.” Roberto tried to humor Anthony. Anthony rolled his eyes and continued to stare out the window. Roberto saw him smile a little. He considered it progress.
“I can’t stand my father. He wants me to follow in his footsteps.”
“Why is that a bad thing? You guys are the American dream personified. A successful and rich black family in America? Who wouldn’t want that?”
“He wants me to be Los Angeles’s next mayor. I don’t want to just be another Kincaid. I don’t want to be forced into following anyone.”
“But your father is mayor.”
“Not for long. He’s running for governor next year.”
“Really? Wow that’s a bold move. I wonder who the GOP will get to challenge him.”
Anthony raised a skeptical eyebrow. “You’re into politics?”
“I’ve volunteered for a few campaigns, helped make calls. I was on your father’s last election committee.”
“I didn’t know cholos voted.”
“Seems there is a lot you don’t know.”
“Yeah. You’re telling me. And now he wants me to follow in his footsteps.”
“I know how you feel, papa.”
Anthony turned his gaze inward to look at Roberto. “Do you?”
“Yeah. My dad wanted me to become an auto mechanic, like himself. He was so good at it. He could diagnose a car just by listening to the engine. I was never the hands on type. I liked to read and write. I wanted to become a teacher. He wouldn’t have it. One night things got bad. It was my senior year in high school. He kept trying to enroll me in Los Angeles Technical College. I wanted to go to Oregon University. We got into a fight. Finally, I just told him ‘I don’t want to be like you!’” Anthony noticed Roberto adjusted in his seat, obviously uncomfortable from telling this story. “He got up and just left. Slammed the door so hard the glass shattered. I didn’t care, I was angry. A few hours later, my mami gets a call. It was the police. My father lost control of his car and drove off a cliff in the hills. His truck exploded when it hit the bottom of the hill. I felt guilty. It was my fault he was angry and stormed off. Your father spoke at his funeral.”
Anthony eyes widened. He remembered the funeral. He was there. His father’s auto mechanic had died that day and he went to the funeral with him.
“I remember that. Roberto, I had no idea.”
“It is okay, Anthony. I didn’t expect you to recognize me now. I’m a lot more muscular and my arms have a few more tattoos now.”
Anthony laughed and Roberto joined in. They stared at each other for a brief second. Anthony reached over and patted Roberto on the forearm.
“So you still not going to tell me where we are going?” he asked.
“Nope. But we are almost there.”
A few minutes later, Roberto made a right onto Hulbert Canyon Road. The long, windy road was very steep and as they rounded the first incline, a small building appeared on the left. Roberto pulled into the parking lot.
“Welcome to Giovanni’s. Best Italian food on the West Coast. I’ve been coming here for years.”
“What do gangbangers know about fine dining?”
“Just for that, I’m not paying for you.”
Anthony raised an eyebrow. “Then you better roll up those sleeves and head to the kitchen. Because I’m not paying.”
Roberto laughed and patted Anthony on the back. “Forgot daddy’s credit card? Oh no!”

After a very filling meal and lots of wine (mainly drunk by Anthony), Roberto drove them both back to the city.
“Hey Roberto, let me ask you something.” Anthony said. He was slouched in his seat and slurring some of his words.
“Shoot.”
“Not that I’m trying to come onto you, but you’re so fine. I mean like really fine. Why are you single?”
“Just haven’t found the right one for me. I thought I did with my ex but it turns out we just liked fucking and arguing. I don’t want that.”
“So no fine chickas in East Los Angeles wants Roberto’s D?”
“I’m sure plenty of women want to be with me. But I want more than just sex. I want a connection. I want a partner.”
“A cholo with a heart. Who would have thought it?”
Roberto was getting pissed with Anthony’s assumptions about him. What did he know growing up in the wealthy enclave of Brentwood? “We are not all about shooting and drinking. Especially me. I just saw the opportunity and took it. In my barrio there are two options- you become a gang member or you become a drug addict. I chose the gang life because they needed a brain behind the brawn. I want my son to grow up to admire his dad for using his talents.”
“That’s adorable yet kind of fucked up. You’re still a cholo and that’s all your son is going to see when he grows up. That’s all I see.”
“Then you don’t know shit about me Anthony. I’m a good father.”
Roberto had an understated anger in his voice. Even in his inebriated state Anthony knew he had crossed a line.
“I didn’t mean to……I’m sorry.”
“You can’t judge a book by its cover. Look at you. You’re a rich spoiled brat who moved to the hood to gain creditability with the neighborhood. I never judged you for that. Yet here I am, the ‘gangbanger’ with a fucked up sense of reality who saved your ass from certain death.”
Anthony bit his lower lip in embarrassment.
“Roberto-“
“Silencio, Anthony. Before you say something else that will make me want to punch you in the throat.”
Anthony looked at Roberto. His hands were tight on the steering wheel and he was staring straight ahead. In that moment, Anthony didn’t know whether to shut up or kiss him.
They arrived back at Anthony’s house. Roberto helped Anthony into the house.
“You don’t have to go home. Stay the night. My couch is very comfy.” Anthony offered while they were both in his bedroom. Anthony was in the adjoining bathroom undressing. Roberto was sitting on his bed.
“Nah, that’s okay. It isn’t that long of a drive back to my h-“Roberto stopped talking. Anthony had just walked out of the bathroom in the sweatpants that he loaned him. They looked so good on him. Anthony had a bit of a stomach but wasn’t overweight. Roberto almost shot up and kissed Anthony right there. He was still mad at what he said but he knew it was just a poor choice of words. He loved his son more than anything else in the world and for anyone to question that drew his infamous anger out of hiding. Yet here was Anthony, wearing nothing but sweatpants that were too big for him and Roberto wanted him more than ever. It had been three years since he had been with someone. All of his amigos knew that Roberto was bisexual. He had dated both men and women. Anthony was different though. Ever since he saw him at his dad’s funeral, he felt a spark. Now here he was, shirtless and in his sweats. It was too soon to tell, but Roberto felt that Anthony wanted him just as much. Was it just lust or more?
Roberto got up. “You still have my sweats. Give ‘em back.”
Anthony was drunk and in a playful mood. He wanted to tackle Roberto and kiss him all night. His lips looked so soft. He wanted to cuddle with him and make sweet love to him. Anthony had been attracted to Roberto since the day they briefly met at the funeral of his father. He was still cute even with all the tattoos and muscle.
“No, I’m not giving them back.”
Roberto took a step closer to him. “Give them back. Now.” There was a growl at the end of his sentence.
“Make me.”
That was the trigger. Roberto grabbed Anthony with surprising ease (much to Anthony’s shock) and threw him on the bed. They began to wrestle. Roberto kept grabbing for the waistband and trying to pull them off while Anthony struggled to gain the upper hand. Finally with one quick swipe, Roberto lifted Anthony up for a brief second while getting the sweatpants off.
“AHA!” Roberto exclaimed. It was then that he realized that Anthony was going commando under the pants.
They stood on either side of the bed. Roberto noticed at how well defined Anthony’s body was. It wasn’t as muscular as his but was toned. Anthony had a tattoo on his right bicep of a phoenix rising from the ashes. He was also checking out Anthony’s penis. It was cut and hung low along with his balls. The tip was shiny from precum. Anthony was still breathing hard from their roughhousing.
Anthony came to his senses. “Sorry about my nakedness, I’ll go put some more pants on.”
Roberto stopped Anthony just as he got to his bureau. They locked eyes and Roberto felt his own dick stiffen.
“You don’t have to. I’m admiring the view.”
Before Anthony could respond, Roberto leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips. It was brief, but Roberto had been waiting a long time to get him alone and make out with this man. Anthony pulled back at first, shocked. He must be dreaming. This man was ready to strangle him thirty minutes ago and now he just kissed him. Throwing caution to the wind, Anthony reciprocated with a kiss of his own, deeper and more passionate. Roberto was 6’5, much taller than Anthony at 5’9 so he had to look up at him. Anthony wrapped his arms around Roberto’s waist while Roberto held his face in his hands as the kissing turned more passionate by the second. They broke apart to catch their breath.
Roberto took off his button down collared shirt and picked Anthony up again. He laughed.
“I can walk, you know.”
“I know. I just want to hold you in my arms.”
Roberto carried Anthony over to the bed and laid him down gently.
“Are you going to shoot me?” Anthony asked while looking at Roberto’s waist. He almost forgot about his Beretta hidden in his waistband.
He chuckled and removed it and put it on the nightstand. He took off his sneakers and jeans. With nothing on, Roberto laid down next to Anthony. Their eyes met again and Roberto leaned in to kiss him again. There was more passion now between the two. Anthony took a break to get on top of Roberto. He grinned devilishly at Roberto. He started kissing at his neck and began going down his torso, kissing both nipples and sucking on each one. Roberto moaned in pleasure. Anthony continued kissing, going down and planting one on each ab before he got to the base of his dick. Roberto was uncut and close to nine inches. His dick was a lighter tone of brown than the rest of his body. Anthony swallowed it in one motion. Roberto bucked his hips and groaned loudly. Anthony kept sucking, rolling his tongue up and down the shaft, teasing the head with broad strokes. Roberto began to moan loudly and sweat. He knew at this rate he would explode in his mouth in a matter of seconds.
“Damn, papi. Your mouth feels so……unghhh…”
He pulled him off his dick and flipped him on his back. Roberto began kissing Anthony’s chest while groping his penis. Anthony began sweating as well. Roberto was hitting all the right spots. Roberto went down and began sucking Anthony’s cock. It swelled in his mouth. Anthony was cut and although his penis wasn’t as long as Roberto’s, it was twice as thick.
Anthony positioned himself so that he too could give mutual head to Roberto. Roberto began to protest but it was too late. He hit the point of no return and he could feel his balls tense up, ready to dump a load into Anthony’s mouth. The vibrations coming from his mouth felt like pure ecstasy. Roberto told Anthony he was about to cum but Anthony didn’t care as he increased the pace. He wanted to taste Roberto’s essence. Anthony himself was also about to cum and warned Roberto. He simply nodded and continued. Roberto yelled out a word in Spanish and cum flooded Anthony’s mouth. He swallowed it all. Anthony came just seconds later and Roberto also swallowed his load. The two lovers lay panting on Anthony’s bed, exhausted from sex and with hundreds of questions running through their heads.