Under the Full Moon

Prologue

April pressed the button on a singing bass for the third time. She gave a low hum as she truly thought a terribly mouth synced fish would go anywhere in their house. A whiney moan soon came from behind her. She ignored this for the first few times, but now he was starting to get obnoxious.

“Aaaaprilll, how long do we have to be out here?”

“Forever.”

“Aaaaprilll...”

The boy moaned again and leaned on top of a soggy wood table with his arms stretched out over it. It wasn't really raining anymore. It was an hour ago - poring rain actually. Now all that was left was a cool fog that settled over the mid-morning land with mixed fluffy clouds that pushed across the sky. It was a fairly beautiful morning if you could get past all of the musty wood smells and muddy paths. This was, after all, the best time to go to the flea market.

Not just because no one likes to come out when it is cold and rainy, but because the venders leave out the best stuff. All the antiques and priceless family items that people try to sell wouldn't dare be touched by one rain drop, let alone the sticky fingers of a four year old. No, with a day like today, you find all the trashes that can turn into treasures. Or at least just some filler items that can fill that blank spot on a wall.

“Just get the moose head we saw a couple tents back and let's go home.”

April looked up to the sky feeling the light sprinkles of rain come again, “I don't know... Is it really me?”

“You are looking at a singing fish! Come on, my TV show is on in an hour and you promised we would get doughnuts if I came with you.”

The twelve year old was a stick that was swimming in an oversized shirt and shorts. He stole Cody's clothes in such a rush that morning. Sweets always got him to go places. April sighed and left the trout playing it song one last time. Swinging her umbrella in her hand she glanced back and forth between the soggy woods and wet glass items. Nothing was really catching her eye. It wasn't that big of a spot on the wall that needed something. A clock was just too small and she wasn't creative enough to really put just some metal work on the wall. She was going to stare at it for a long time after all. At least until she decided to break it.

They were getting to the fringe edges of the flea market now. The rolling clouds were quickly turning to a deep gray and Daniel's complaining was starting back up again. April had to face it, this one thing, whatever it may be, was not going to be found here. Maybe just a poster at Walmart could be good enough for now. She gave a sigh and took one last look around at what was left in the fringe of the market place. After making a little uncomfortable eye contact with some bored venders...that's when she saw it.

It was beckoning her from the second to the last tent on the road. The classic features with chipped layers of paint. The square size and rounded top was absolutely perfect for the space in her room. It was also being picked up by the vender who was cleaning up the tent. April bolted leaving Daniel alone. She even tripped over her shoes in the process, catching herself like a ninja on the stacks of suit cases at the front of the tent. She still managed to knock them over which she awkwardly tried to place back. In the end she just leaned on the boxes and flipped her hair back a bit pretending that was all intentional.

“I...I'd like to buy that.”

The vender, a normal looking man, with a bit of a hooked nose and a beard, glanced down at the mirror in his hands. April could read him perfectly. She knew that he was hesitant to take the sale and give the item to a clumsy woman in three inch wedge heals. He was probably right, but with the low amount of people today, one less item is always good. He finally smiled and allowed her to take it from his hands to look at it.

It was heavier than it looked. She could see some detail in the wood frame that was chipped off with time as well as some spots on the mirror itself. It was perfect. They chatted, and found out that he found the old mirror from some renovation work he had done in the past at an old home. It apparently was just left there with some other framed artwork. The mystery intrigued her. Who knows who gazed upon the dirty mirror or who's hands carved its edges. She paid him and soon enough was walking back to an extremely ticked off Daniel.
♠ ♠ ♠
Could have kept on going, but decided to leave it as a sort of "introduction" to April and the mirror.

:\ Hope it doesn't sound too clunky