The Disappearance of Emily Blake

Chapter 2

Walking up to the front door, Emily could not stop thinking about what she was going to say to her mother. She had to options. First, ask her why she did not pick her up when she needed her or just ignore her mother and go straight to her room like always. Emily was tired of feeling neglected. For what seemed like forever, Emily finally decided what she must do. Turning around Emily left the front porch and headed down the street, not looking back. She knew that if she ran away, someone hopefully, would come looking for her. Someone would care about her. Which is really what Emily needed at the moment. There was just one problem, Emily did not know where to go. This town was really the only place she has ever been, who knows what could beyond the bridge that lead out of town. Emily thought about just hiding out somewhere in town, but that would be pointless because everyone knows each other around here. Emily sighed, she thought she was just being stupid and that she should just turn around and she did. She headed straight home. Walking to the door of her house she took a deep breath and turned the door handle. She walked in to her mother laying on the couch with a bottle in her hand. "Where have you been girl? I've been worried sick!" Her mother slurred, she was drunk. Was not a surprise to Emily, since it was her mothers nightly routine for the past couple of years. Turning towards the hallway to her room, her mother got up off the couch and grabbed Emily by her collar. "Listen here you ungrateful bitch," Her mother said. Emily could smell nothing but alcohol on her mothers breath, she must have been drinking for a while now, Emily thought. "I've given you a roof over your head and clothes on your back. I've been nothing but a parent towards you ever since your father died and this is how you repay me? Coming home late from school? You better have a good explanation for this young lady." She says. Emily took a minute to respond. "I was waiting at school for you. The nurse said you were on your way to pick me up from school after I was hit in the head with a basketball from another girl in my gym class. Five hours I waited for you, and you never showed up." Tears started t swell up in Emily's eyes. Emily's mother just looks at her and laughs. "Silly girl." She says as she lets go of Emily's shirt. "I wouldn't have been to come get you because of my stupid dickhead of a boss won't let me and even if he did let me I still wouldn't have came to get you." She continued to laugh. Emily's mother heads back to the couch. Emily's tears started to roll down her cheeks. "When I was growing up my mother would just tell me to deal with it. It's just a scratch, it'll heal up." She laughs and takes another swig from the bottle. "Emily, come here." She motioned Emily with her hand. Emily walked over to the couch where her mother was sitting. Emily's mother grabs her hand and ushers her to sit next to her. With her arm that has the bottle in her hand, she puts it around Emily's shoulders. "I have a secret for you darling." She whispers. Emily does not look at her mother. "I wish it were you instead of your father." She begins to laugh again. Emily starts crying, stands up and runs up stairs to her room. Once in there, Emily throws her bag on her bed and turns around to destroy everything. She pushed everything off of her dresser which had her mirror on it. She grabbed a chair which was sitting in front of the dresser and threw the chair at it. The mirror broke into pieces. Emily was raging. She could not help destroying stuff. Everything that has happened these past few years that Emily held in were finally coming to the surface. All the anger, the pain, the sadness she has been kept in since that night her father died. A night just like tonight. Full moon, a gust of wind every now and then. Her father was on his way home from work when the truck collided with his. It was horrible. Emily was actually the first one to open the door when the bell rang that night. The police officers, one male and one female. Both had a look of sorrow. Word for word, Emily remembers what the police said to her. "Honey, can we speak with your mother?" The woman officer asks. "My mother isn't here at the moment. What can I help you with?" Emily's eleven year old self asked the officers. "It's about your father, may we come in until your mother comes home? We would like to tell you both in person." The male officer replied. Emily could not help but cry in the mirror that she just shattered with a chair. If only her father were here right now, none of this would be happening. Emily starts to put herself together. Wiping away the eyeliner and mascara the ran while she was crying, fixing her hair. She turned around and grabbed her backpack and dumped everything on her bed. She knew she would not be needing her Algebra II book for a while. Emily grabbed some clothes from her dresser and her brush along with anything she needed. Emily grabbed another small bag and headed downstairs. Turning the corner, she heard her mother snoring. She must have passed out, Emily thought. Heading to the kitchen she tried not to make any noises. Finally nearing the fridge, she opens it. Emily grabs a bag of ham and some cheese and puts it in her bag. Heading to the pantry she grabs a loaf of bread and some water that were in bottles on the ground. Getting everything in her backpack Emily thought she had everything. Until she realized she would need money. Emily sighed, she did not like the idea of stealing from her mother, but she knew she had no choice. Being broke was not going to get her anywhere. Tip-toeing back near the laving room, she saw her mothers purse hanging on the hook by the front door. Emily walked past slowly trying not to wake her mother. Opening her mothers purse, she sees used tissues. A lot of tissues. Pushing the tissues aside, she grabs her mothers wallet. It was a nice wallet, but she was not interesting in it. Grabbing some money, she put the wallet back in the purse and closed it. Emily looked behind her to make sure her mother was still asleep. As she checked to make sure she had everything, her mother started to stir awake. Emily opened the door as quietly and quickly as she could and squeezed through the opening she had left for herself. Once outside, she closed the door. Walking down the front steps, she put her ear buds in and her hood over her head and began walking. She did not know where she was going to go, but she knew she had to go someplace.