Silence

Bon Temps

There weren't too many words I could find to describe Bon Temps. It was a small town where everyone knew everyone and as outsiders, Caleb and I stuck out like sore thumbs. The whole day I'd found it difficult to pay attention to the lawyer as he'd shown us the house and went over the will. It was too much too soon and I didn't know how to come to terms with it all.

"So, Miss Mason, what are ya thinkin of Bon Temps?" Mr. Leesman, the lawyer we'd spent much of the day with, asked a little too enthusiastically.

Our aunt's house was a one story, two bedroom, two bath. It sat on a half acre plot and had a wrap around porch and a tire swing, which was odd as Tabitha had never had any children. Not to mention the house was long paid off, having apparently been in the family for generations, so we'd only have to worry about utilities. It was perfect, a little too perfect and though I'd been listening in on Mr. Leeson's thoughts all day, he'd never raised any red flags about the ordeal.

There had, however, been a string of recent murders which he had assured me the police were handling. Granted, a serial killer running around should have been enough to send Caleb and I running in the opposite direction, but the benefits to living in Bon Temps were just too good to pass up. We'd have a home, a permanent one that I could sustain with one job, how was I suppose to turn that down?

"I love it! The house is awesome, don't you think, Beth?" Caleb loved it all and had no problem showing it. I loved it too, but I still wanted to be cautious.

"And you're sure there aren't any odd..." I wasn't exactly certain how to put it, "conditions, to living here?" I could see by the expression on his face that Mr. Leeson hadn't quite understood what it was I was asking. "I just can't see why she hadn't contacted us and then left us everything." I attempted to clarify. I didn't want any weird catches like, we'd have to sacrifice a goat every full moon or take care of some other moldy relative we had no idea existed.

Mr. Leeson gave a short laugh, intertwining his fingers on the table top.

"Not that I am aware of, Miss Mason." Of course. "But, perhaps the letter she left you in the will might explain why there was no contact in all those years." I had nearly forgotten about the letter. It had been addressed to me specifically, but I had assumed it was just some more legal nonsense.

"Hi there, welcome to Merlotte's!" Merlotte's was apparently the only place worth stopping for a bite in Bon Temps, so it was there that Mr. Leeson had taken Caleb and I for lunch. It wasn't a very fancy place, but it had an almost homey feel to it.

The red headed waitress standing before us looked frazzled, but she still managed to put on her game face as she stood smiling from ear to ear. The place wasn't exactly packed, but she was the only waitress working.

Oh Jesus, I wish Sam would hurry up and hire a new waitress already.

I hadn't meant it, but the woman's thought's were a little loud as her stress had risen from her exhaustion. Waitressing was something I knew, I'd been a waitress damn there my whole life after having to drop out of high school to take care of mamma and Caleb.

"I'll just have an orange soda, please." Caleb politely informed the woman as he returned to the menu. It had always taken that kid forever to decide on what he wanted to eat so eating someplace new was usually a nightmare. I ordered a sweet tea after Mr. Leeson ordered a coffee and decided to go ahead and try my luck, hell things were already looking up it couldn't have hurt.

"Would you guys happen to be hiring? We're new here and, well I used to be a waitress." The woman's face twisted into a mix between relief and shock. "Looks like you've got quite a bit on your plate."

"Oh, honey you have no idea." She twisted around quickly, before turning back towards us. "Let me go get your drinks and I'll bring you back an application." A wide smile had spread across her face as she hurried away. I turned to look at Caleb as we shared our looks of amazement.

A blessing! Oh thank you, Lord!

I turned back to see the waitress smiling broadly at some man behind the bar before pointing to me. I gave the man a polite smile and a wave, knowing that he was probably the Sam she'd been thinking about and therefor, hopefully, my soon to be boss.

A house, money, and now I might have had a job secured. If this wasn't a sign from the heavens that Caleb and I were meant to move here, I wasn't sure what was.

"So I reckon you're staying then, Miss Mason?" I glanced back over at Caleb who was nodding his head furiously.

"Looks like it."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate this chapter. I hated writing it, I hate reading it over, I just hate it. I'll be posting the next chapter shortly to compensate for the shittiness of this one.