Silence

Birds of a Feather

To worry about my own problem was selfish, I knew that. Apparently the only reason Eric had even showed up to Merlotte's in the first place was because he was dragging Sookie's vampire beau, Bill, off to some trial. Had there not been a serial killer after Sookie I would have considered my problems a lot worse, but I only wish I had a vampire like Bill looking out for me. Of course, as luck would have it, the only vampire I'd attract was the bad kind. Eric looked as though he could have ripped someone in half when he was still human, God knew what he could do now.

I had barely turned the corner headed for the kitchen when Sookie ran into me, clearly in a hurry to be anywhere but here. I was surprised she'd even stayed this long after Bill had left, the girl was a mess as it was.

"Oh, I am so sorry, Beth." She stooped down, grabbing the dishes that had fallen out of my tray. I gave her a smile, trying not to let on how upset I was about the night's events. The last thing I needed now was people feeling sorry for me or worse, trying to help me. I had a sickening feeling that there wasn't anyone that could stop Eric from obtaining what he wanted.

"It's fine, accidents happen." Besides, I'd probably be dead in a few days once Eric's done with me. What's a broken dish or two?

Eric? Does she mean vampire Eric?

The plate I had just picked up from the floor slipped out of my fingers as I quickly looked up at Sookie, who was already looking at me.

Sookie, I'm pretty sure I didn't say that out loud.

Sookie's eyes widened and we both stood up at the same time. Sookie had definitely just read my thoughts--we were actually reading each others thoughts because Sookie hadn't said anything out loud either.

Oh my God, can you hear me? She thought, giving me a look of surprise.

I'd never in my life met someone else like me--I didn't think there was anyone else like me and I couldn't keep myself from smiling as I nodded 'yes' to her. Sookie's eyes lit up as she smiled back at me.

"Holy shit." It was strange, hearing Sookie curse. She came across as the innocent, girl next door type, but she'd taken the words right out of my mouth. No one had ever known about my ability and yet here I was, having a telepathic conversation with someone I'd only barely met. It was exciting and a part of me felt a sense of relief that there was at least one person I wouldn't have to keep it from anymore. "Holy shit, Eric wants you? Northman?" And as quickly as it had came, my excitement was gone. Sookie had leaned in to whisper 'Northman' but the look of panic on her face was clear as day.

If that tall, blond, uncomfortably good looking vampire that came in earlier was Eric Northman, than yes. I thought rather than saying aloud.

I leaned back down, gathering the remainder of the dishes before heading towards the kitchen. Sookie followed, seemingly more panicked than I was about my own fucking predicament.

"Oh my God, does he--" Sookie stopped herself as we'd entered the kitchen and I dropped off the dishes. Does he know you can read minds? I turned to Sookie, stopping in my tracks to show her how serious I was.

"No. No one can know, Sookie." I had headed back towards the dining area so we were just outside the kitchen, out of earshot from Lafayette and the other patrons, though still not entirely alone.

"But it's nothing to be ashamed of, lots of people know about me."

"But I'm not you. And I'm not ashamed." I snapped and she took a step back, looking a bit hurt by my words. They had come across more harshly than I'd intended, but it was true. "Look, not even my little brother knows. I'm glad that you do, but no one else, Sookie. No one, promise me."

"Alright, okay, I promise. But then what would Eric want with you if he doesn't know?" I gave a shrug, turning back for the dining area.

He said I smell good and to show up to Fangtasia in three days. I admitted, dropping the tray off at the bus boy station.

"Beth, you can't go! You can't trust Eric." Sookie informed me, as if it wasn't painfully obvious just meeting the guy.

"I have no choice, Sookie." Giving a quick look around, I leaned closer to make sure no one would be eavesdropping. "He gave me the option to go with him or he'd come find me."

"He can't do that!" Sookie seemed outraged by the very idea.

"I think he can pretty much do whatever he wants, have you met him?"

"Well was that it? Did he tell you why he wanted you to go to Fangtasia or was it just because you smell good." Though I appreciated Sookie's concern for my well being, I couldn't help but to find her beginning to border annoyance. She was, however, the only other person I knew wrapped up in all this vampire nonsense.

"He... he asked me who I belonged to."

"Oh Jesus fuck." Sookie shook her head, clearly understanding what he had meant by it.

"What? What the hell does that even mean?"

"It's a vampire thing. I think he wants you to be his."

"Wants me? What do you mean wants me to be his? I don't care how good looking he is, I'm not into the whole bloodsucking thing--no offense." I had almost forgotten about Bill. Sookie seemed to be enjoying the fact that she had two holes in the side of her neck, only I was less than eager to let anything or anyone bite me. If I had any say in it, I was damn sure not about to let Eric claim me as his personal blood bank or what the fuck ever.

"Three days he said?" Sookie looked back up at me and I gave her a nod. "Alright, that gives us time to figure something out."

"Oh no, Sookie." I grabbed hold of her arm as she'd turn to leave. "The last thing I wanna do is piss this guy off. I have a thirteen year old brother, remember?" Her shoulders fell in disbelief.

"I know he's intimidating, but I think he's mostly talk." I couldn't suppress the laugh, letting go of her to fold my arms across my chest. She couldn't have been serious and if she was then her dating a vampire was making her naive and stupid.

I very much doubt that.

"Alright, nothing too rash, but we'll figure something out, I promise." Damn was this woman stubborn. "I won't let that piece of shit get away with this."

"Sookie, you barely even know me." I couldn't understand why she'd even go through the trouble to help me at all, she had enough on her plate without worrying about Eric Northman.

I know, but you're the first telepath I've ever met. She thought, giving me a smile.

"I feel like that means we've gotta stick together." I let out a short laugh. I hadn't been in Bon Temps a week and I was becoming a part of the tight-knit community. It was unusual, I was so used to being looked down on because of my night time activities, but then again no one here knew about that part of my life--I'd left it in Mississippi.

"Well hey, I need to get out of here." My best friend is fucking my boss who I thought had a thing for me. Sookie's eyes lit up and she threw a finger at me. "You did not hear that." So Tara was fucking Sam. I guess I could see that.

"Sorry." I preferred waiting tables to scraping leftovers from plates anyway and if Sookie was cutting out, that meant I got her tables.

Oh, and if you ever wanna talk. Sookie had stopped, turning to give me a last look before hurrying out.

I rolled my eyes, throwing her a wave as I tied her apron around my waist. "Bye, Sookie." I couldn't help smiling at how happy she was knowing I could hear her, just as she could hear me. Although, I wasn't too sure I wanted someone eavesdropping in on my own thoughts, especially since I knew first hand the kinds of things that happened when thoughts weren't kept private as they should be.

"Hi, welcome to Merlotte's. My name is Beth, I'll be your server for tonight. Can I get you anything to drink?" I put on a smile as I greeted some customers. Sookie could read minds, a vampire named Eric Northman wanted me for some reason, and in three days I wasn't even sure if I'd still be alive. Bon Temps was turning out to be a lovely place to call home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, only mention of Eric, but I needed Sookie and Beth to do some bonding.