Status: A work in progress! Enjoy!

Fearless

Chapter Two

There was a loud scraping and puffing from behind us, and Stan and Ern appeared, carrying Harry's trunk and his owl and looking around excitedly.

"'Ow come you di'nt tell us 'oo you are, eh, Neville?" said Stan, beaming at Harry, while Ernie's owlish face peered interestedly over Stan's shoulder.

"And a private parlor, please, Tom," said Fudge pointedly.

"Bye," Harry mumbled miserably to Stan and Ernie as Tom beckoned the five of us toward the passage that led from the bar.

"Bye, Neville!" called Stan, I rolled my eyes as Fudge marched the four of us along the narrow passage after Tom's lantern, and then into a small parlor. Tom clicked his fingers, a fire burst into life in the grate, and he bowed himself out of the room.

"Sit down, Harry, Hunter, James, and Regulus," said Fudge, indicating a chair by the fire. We sat down, I felt feeling goosebumps rising up her arms despite the glow of the fire. Fudge took off his pinstriped cloak and tossed it aside, then hitched up the trousers of his bottle-green suit and sat down opposite of us.

"I'm Cornelius Fudge, The Minister of Magic." I grunted as I crossed my arms against my chest. Tom the innkeeper reappeared wearing an apron over his night-shirt and bearing a tray of tea and crumpets. He placed the tray on a table between Fudge and Us and left the parlor, closing the door behind him. I began fiddling with my fingers as I began wondering if the Minister knew her secrets. He watched the four of use carefully before turning towards Harry.

"Well, Harry," said Fudge, pouring out tea, "you've had us all in a right flap, I don't mind telling you. Running away from your aunt and uncle's house like that! I'd started to think. . . but you're safe, and that's what matters."

Fudge buttered himself a crumpet and pushed the plate toward us.

"And you three," The minister started out as he turned his eyes towards us with a disapproving frown. "Leaving the Not's without a word of where you are going, it's dangerous for all of you." Fudge said while scanning his eyes over the four of us. I slouched in my seat as I grabbed a crumpet and began buttering it myself.

"Eat, Harry," Noticing that James and Regulus had also grabbed a crumpet. "you look dead on your feet. Now then. . . You will be please to hear that we have dealt with the unfortunate blowing up of Miss Marjorie Dursley. Two members of the Accidental Magic Reversal Department were dispatched to Privet Drive a few hours ago. Miss Dursley has been punctured and her memory has been modified. She has no recollection of the incident at all. So that's that, and no harm done."

Fudge smiled at Harry over the rim of his teacup, ignoring the James, Regulus and I. He was looking at Harry rather like an uncle surveying a favorite nephew. Harry looked shocked as he opened his mouth to speak, but couldn't seem to think of anything to say and closed it again.
"An, you're worrying about the reaction of your aunt and uncle?" said Fudge. "Well, I won't deny that they are extremely angry, Harry, but they are prepared to take you back next summer as long as you stay at Hogwarts for the Christmas and Easter holidays."

I closed my eyes, leaning my head backwards.

"I always stay at Hogwarts for the Christmas and Easter holidays." Harry informed the Minister. "and I don't ever want to go back to Privet Drive." Harry finished. I mumbled something under my breath about stupid Muggles and how'd I'd rather be there than the Nott's ... the only thing out of it was living with my best friend Melissa.

"Now, now, I'm sure you'll feel differently once you've calmed down," Fudge said with a worried tone. "They are you family, after all, and I'm sure your are fond of each other ---- er ---- very deep down."

It was silent for a few minutes before I decided to speak up as I spoke the first word James and Regulus sent me a glare: "Please inform me -- Minister," leaning forward with my elbows on my knees. "If your only going to be talking to Harry why are my brother and I still sitting in the parlor?" He sent me a glare before Fudge started once again.

"So all that remains," said Fudge, now buttering himself a second crumet, "is to decide where you four are going to spend the last three weeks of your vacation. I suggest you take a rooms here at the Leaky Cauldron and ---"

"Hang on," blurted Harry. "What about my punishment?" I wanted to slam Harry's head against the desk in front of him, couldn't he tell he was getting off easy?

"Punishment?"

"I broke the law!" Harry blurted. "The Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry!"

"Oh, my dear boy, we're not going to punish you for a little thing like that!" cried Fudge, waving the crumpet impatiently as if it was the British flag. "It was an accident! We don't send people to Azkaban just for blowing up their aunts!"

Harry stared at the Minster in disbelief.

"Last year, I got an official warning just because a house-elf smashed a pudding in my uncle's house!" he told Fudge, frowning. "The Ministry of Magic said I'd be expelled from Hogwarts if there was any more magic there!"

Fudge shifted in his chair, looking awkward.

"Circumstance change, Harry. . . We have to take into account. . . in the present climate. . . Surely you don't want to be expelled?"
"Of course I don't," said Harry.

"Well then, what's all the fuss about?" laughed Fudge. "Now, have another crumpet, children, while I go see if Tom's got a room for you."
Fudge strode out of the parlor and we stared after him. There was something extremely odd going on. Why had Fudge been waiting for us at the Leaky Cauldron, if not to punish them for what we'd done?

Fudge came back, accompanied by Tom the innkeeper.

"Rooms eleven, twelve, and thirteen are free," said Fudge. " Room eleven for Harry, twelve is for Hunter and thirteen is for Regulus and James, I think you'll be very comfortable. Just one thing. and I'm sure you'll understand. . . I don't want you wandering off into Muggle London, all four of you, alright? Keep to Diagon Alley. And you're to be back here before dark each night. Sure you'll understand. Tom will be keeping an eye on all of you for me."

"Okay," Harry said unsure, "but why ---?"

"Don't want to lose you again, do we?" Fudge with a hearty laugh. "No, no. . . best we know where you are. . . I mean . . ." Fudge cleared his throat loudly and picked up his pinstriped cloak. I snorted as I leaned back on the legs of the chair.

"Well, I'll be off, plenty to do, you know . . ."

"Have you had any luck with Black yet?" Harry rushed.

"What's that? Oh, you've heard --- well, no, not yet, but it's only a matter of time. The Azkaban guards have never yet failed . . and they are angrier than I've ever seen them, his eyes turning back towards the three of us.

"Hunter, Regulus, and James you three be extremely careful, we heard that Black is your Uncle?" I bit my tongue, wanting to say something extremely rude though knowing that it would get my brothers and I would get in trouble. James nodded.

"So, I'll say goodbye."

"Er --- Minster? Can I ask you something?"

"Certainly," said Fudge with a smile.

"Well, third years at Hogwarts are allowed to visit Hogsmeade, but my aunt and uncle didn't sign the permission form. D'you think you could ---?"

Fudge was looking uncomfortable one more.

"Ah," he said. "No, no, I'm very sorry, Harry, but I'm not your parent or guardian ---"

"But you're the Minister of Magic," said Harry eagerly. "If you gave me permission ---"

"No, I'm sorry, Harry but rules are rules," said Fudge flatly.

"Don't worry, Harry," I mumbled as I stood up streching from sitting for so long. "James, Reg, and I haven't gotten ours signed either," I said with a shrug.

"Perhaps you'll be able to visit Hogsmeade next year. In fact, I think it's best if you four don't. . .yes. . well, I'll be off. Enjoy your stay."
And with a last smile and another shake of each of our hands, Fudge left the room. Tom now moved forward, beaming at the four of us.
"If you'll follow me, Mr. Potter, Mr. & Miss. Black," he said, "I've already taken your things up. . . ."

We followed Tom up a handsome wooden staircase to a door with a brass number eleven on it, which Tom unlocked and opened it for him, after Harry was inside his room, we moved towards the door next to it with a brass number twelve, Tom unlocked and opened the door for me.
Inside was a very comfortable-looking bed, some highly polished oak furniture, a cheerfully crackling fire and, perched on top of the chair next to the window ---

"Tenebrarum!" I yelled excitedly.

The soft midnight black owl with white strands moving horizontally clicked his beak and fluttered down onto my arm. I grinned as I moved slowly towards the open door, moving to room eleven. I knocked on the door gently, the door opened to see a grinning Harry; his startling green eyes scanned over Tenebrarum, who was still perched on my arm.

"His name is Tenebrarum," I spoke softly with blush covering my face, he grinned, as I noticed a snow white owl perched on his arm.

"Her name is Hedwig," He said, opening the door a little wider inviting me in. I grinned as I took a seat on his bed.