Status: A work in progress! Enjoy!

Fearless

Chapter Seven

Harry and I went back into the corridor with Madam Pomfrey, who left for the hospital wing, muttering to herself. We had to wait only a few minutes; then Hermione emerged looking very happy about something, followed by Professor McGonagall, and the three of us made our way back down the marble staircase to the Great Hall.

It was a sea of pointed black hats; each of the long House tables were lined with students, their faces glimmering by the light of thousands of candles, which were floating over the tables in midair. A tiny little wizard with a shock of white hair, was carrying the hat that had sat on my head minutes before and a three-legged stool out of the hall.

“That’s Professor Flitwick,” Harry informed me with a nod and grin.

“Oh,” said Hermione softly, “we’ve missed the Sorting!” I looked around the Great Hall trying to catch a glimpse of my brother. Professor McGonagall strode off towards her empty seat at the staff table, and we set off in the other direction, as quietly as possible, toward the Gryffindor table.

People looked around at us as we passed along the back of the hall, and a few of them pointed at Harry and I - had the story of our collapsing in front of the Dementor travel that fast? Or were they pointing at Harry because he was of course Harry Potter and I was a new student? Harry and Hermione sat down on either side of Ron, who had saved them seats. Ron looked at me apologetically shrugging, I looked across from them to see Fred, George and Lee grinning at me - pushing eachother to find space for me.

“What was all that about?” Ron muttered to Harry.

Harry start to explain in whispers, but at that moment the headmaster stood up to speak, he broke off. I continued to look for my brothers. Fred on my left grabbed my hand and George on my right grabbed the other hand, give me a calm and reassuring smile.

“Regulus was sorted into Ravenclaw -” George stated in my ear with a smile.

“James was sorted into Slytherin,” Fred finished in my other ear, a sad smile washing over his features. I nodded in understand.

Professor Dumbledore, though very old, gave an impression of great energy. He had several feet of long silver hair and beard, half-moon spectacles, and an extremely crooked nose. He was described as the greatest wizard of the age, but that wasn’t why I respected him. You couldn’t help but trust Albus Dumbledore, and as I watched him beam around the students, I felt really calm for the first time since the Dementor had entered the train compartment.

“Welcome!” Dumbledore said excitedly, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. “Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast…”

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, “As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business.”

He paused, and I remembered what Harry told us about what Mr. Weasley had said about Dumbledore not being happy with the Dementors guarding the school.

“They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds,” Dumbledore continued, “and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises -- or even Invisibility Cloaks,” he added blandly, I watched as Harry and Ron glanced at each other. “It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors,” he said.

Percy, who was sitting a few seats down from Harry and puffed out his chest again and stared around impressively. Dumbledore paused again; he looked very seriously around the hall, and nobody moved or made a sound.

“On a happier note,” he continued, “I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year.”

“First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.” There was some scattered, rather than unenthusiastic applause. Only those who had been in the compartment on the train with Professor Lupin clapped hard, myself among them. Professor Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes.

“Look at Snape!” Ron hissed across the table. Fred touched my shoulder, pointing me towards Snape, “Potions master,” I nodded. Professor Snape, was staring along the stuff table at Professor Lupin. Apparently it was common knowledge that Snape wanted the Defense Against the Dark Arts job, the expression twisting his thin, sallow face. It was beyond anger: it was loathing.

“As to our second new appointment,” Dumbledore continued as the lukewarm applause for Professor Lupin died away. “Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties.”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione stared at one another, stunned. I sat there completely confused - they joined in with the applause and I followed, which was tumultuous at the Gryffindor table in particular.

Harry leaned forward to see Hagrid, who was ruby-red in the face and staring down at his enormous hands, his wide grin hidden in the tangle of his black beard. I sat there awkwardly, before Fred and George laughed at me.

“We should’ve known!” Ron roared, pounding the table. “Who else would have assigned us a biting book?”

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were the last to stop clapping, and as Professor Dumbledore started speaking again, I watched as Hagrid as he whipped his eyes on the tablecloth.

“Well, I think that’s everything of importance,” said Dumbledore. “Let the feast begin!”

“The golden plates and goblets before us filled suddenly with food and drink. I was suddenly hungry, helping myself to everything I could reach and began to eat.

“Little Black here has an appetite,” Fred joked - pushing his shoulder into mine. I nodded with a grin, food still filled my mouth.

“I was hungry at the Nott house, Regulus, James, and I never were allowed this much food. My best friend Melissa Nott, she use to sneak up food to the three of us.” I laughed, while continuing to eat.

It was a delicious feast; the hall echoed with talk, laughter, and the clatter of knives and forks. Harry, Ron, and Hermione seemed eager for it to finish - the last morsels of pumpkin tart had melted from the golden platters, Dumbledore gave the word that it was time for them to go the bed.

“Come on, Hunter,” Harry shouted over his shoulder, I stood and grinned at the twins, following the trio.
“Congratulations, Hagrid!” Hermione squealed as we reached the teachers’ table.

“All down ter you three,” said Hagrid, wiping his shining face on his napkin as he looked up at us.
“Can’ believe it.. greatman, Dumbledore... came straight down to me hut after Professor Kettleburn said he’s had enough...It’s what I always wanted..an who ‘tis?” He indicated towards me.

“Hunter Black, sir,” I grinned, he smiled back. “Congratulations, sir,” Overcome with emotion, he buried his face in his napkin, and Professor McGonagall shooed us away.

We joined the Gryffindors streaming up the marble staircase and, very tired now, along more corridors, up more and more stairs, to the hidden entrance to Gryffindor Tower. A large portrait of a fat lady in a pink dress asked them, “Password?”

“Coming through, coming through!” Percy called from behind the crowed. “The new password is ‘Fortuna Major’!”

“Oh no,” said Neville Longbottom sadly.

Through the portrait hole and across the common room.

“Come on, Hunt,” Hermione called for me, the girls and boys divided toward their separate staircases.

I climbed the spiral stair with no thought in my mind expect how glad and excited I was to finally be at Hogwarts. I reached a dormitory that I shared with Hermione and three other girls in a circular dormitory with five four-poster beds. I looked around starting to feel as if I had a home.