Status: Ongoing

Counting Stars

One

November 2014
Chicago, Illinois


“Um, excuse me?” Jon hears Smitty’s hesitance from across the locker room. “Uh, this is a private locker room?” The crisp click of women’s shoes draws Jon’s attention up, just in time for said woman to stop right in front of him.

She looks as beautiful as ever; tight jeans clinging to her legs and her navy pea coat open slightly, the v-neck giving just a hint of cleavage.

“Let’s talk,” Avery’s voice is ice cold as she speaks to him and he can’t help it; Jon’s eyes go right to her stomach searching for some kind of bump. Avery rolls her eyes and pulls her shirt way up mardi gras style. From next to him, Saader’s head thumps back against his locker, not an uncommon reaction where Avery’s tits are concerned, but Jon only sighs in relief at the unchanged body in front of him.

“Alright, give me ten minutes. He’s barely out of his gear and hasn’t showered from practice and judging from her look, it’s going to be a long conversation.

“Five,” Avery responds coldly.

“Seven,” Jon bargains, with a smile.

She doesn’t return it. “6:59, 6:58,” He sends her a look as he picks his towel up, headed for the showers.

It’s an optional practice, most of the older guys, the ones she would know, staying home, so when Jon steps out of the shower, he’s not surprised to find her tucked into Hoss’ locker, chatting with Shawzy and Teuvo.

Jon dries quickly and is pulling his shirt over his head as Avery steps back to his locker. “Your seven minutes are up,”

“I’m ready,” He holds his hands up, proving, yes, he really is ready. He’s incredibly curious what has her so keyed up like this, what’s making her so anxious.

“Then what’s the hold up?” His eyebrows fly up at her as he grabs his keys. “Sorry,”

“Is everything alright?”

“Yes, just peachy. I just woke up today and said, ‘hey you know who I haven’t talked to in a while? Jon. Let’s go see what he’s up to today.’” The sarcasm rolls off in waves and the guys around them wince.

“Alright, let’s go,” He makes a big show of gesturing out the door and then follows quickly. Whatever’s got her so keyed up must be big.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her announcement is met by Jon’s silence for nearly 5 minutes. Avery waits patiently, knowing it’s a lot to take in. She herself is still freaking out and she’s known for hours now. “You’re kidding, right?”

“I wish,” She shakes her head quickly to clear it, then continues quietly. “Found out today,”

“But…but…but,” He sputters. “How? When? Where?”

“Cruise this summer,” Avery avoids looking into Jon’s eyes and for a while, he allows it—lets her play look down at her lap and play with her hands.

“Aves,” Jon says hoarsely. He reaches out a finger and gently turns her face to him. “You—you gotta tell me what this means. What you want it to mean.”

“I don’t want to marry James!” The words feel like they’re bubbling out, a sentence that’s been brewing for a while and never expressed.

“Then don’t” The solution seems so simple from Jon, even if his eyes did narrow at the mention of her fiancée’s name.

Avery blinks back some tears. “Oh yeah, Jon? Let me just call Mom up and see what she says. You know that’s not going to fly with Trina,”

He winces, because he knows she sometimes struggles with feeling like she’s disappointing her parents. Then, he shakes his head, a grin on his face. “You can’t marry James,” He reaches for her hand, linking their fingers when she allows it. “You’re already married,”