I Know Places

01.

"Hey, Dylan." Anne called from her car. "Want me to drive you home?"

Dylan thought for a moment. There was no rush for her to go home. Her parents weren't coming home. "Can I go to your place? My parents aren't coming home until who knows when."

"Sure. Hope in." Anne smiled.

Dylan threw her bag into the back seat. Anne turned on the radio. Royals by Lorde was playing. They both rolled their eyes in disgust. The song was being over played. Dylan changed the station.

"Did you hear about the new kid at school?" Anne asked.

"Yeah. His name is Ryan." Dylan replied. "He's in most of my classes."

Anne nodded. "I think he's cute."

Dylan rolled her eyes. Anne said that about most new boys. "That's what you said about Randy, James and Coltin."

"Shush." Anne laughed.

They stopped at a red light. A mother and a small girl crossed the street. She stared at Dylan. Her eyes were black. Dylan looked at Anne, but she was too busy to notice the girl. When Dylan looked back at the girl, she wasn't even there, like she didn't even exist.

Anne put her phone down and sighed. The light turned green. She looked at Dylan from the corner of her eye. "Are you okay? You look like you're about to pass out."

Dylan shook her head. "I'm fine. Just a lot of my mine." Which was partially true.

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

The rest of the car ride was silent. Dylan heard her phone ring from her bag. When she looked back, her eyes met the child's eyes.

"Stop the car." Dylan said. "Just stop the car."

Anne pulled over in shock. "What's wrong?"

Dylan looked back. The girl wasn't there. She put her head in her hands. How could she describe this?