Sequel: These Four Words
Status: Updates Every Wednesday (and sometimes Sundays)

Cigarette Daydreams

012

August 27th 2012
Los Angeles, California
9:13 am


“Wake up Erin,” I heard a deep voice cue.

“mmmhhh,” I managed to moan out switching positions to avoid whoever was trying to wake me up.

“Erin, it’s time to get up.”

“No,” I groaned.

“Ok well I guess I’ll go get the cold water.” I shot right out of my position on the couch coming face to face with Alex, the smirking-demon himself.

“Good morning sunshine,” I looked around confused.

“Did we fall asleep here last night?” I motioned to the very dirty man cave.

“Yep, after we finished off the tequila and you taught me how to air-guitar correctly.” I groaned trying not to remember my embarrassing drunk self.

“You’re kidding.”

Alex laughed, “Nope and you talk in your sleep. Do you really think I’m that sexy?” My face burned bright red and I slapped him.

“Did not!” I argued which caused him to laugh harder.

“Come on and get ready, we have to meet my parents for brunch!” I looked at him like he was stupid.

“I didn’t bring an over night bag, I don’t have my clothes or my makeup.”

“Borrow one of my shirts and you don’t need makeup, you look fine without it.”

I glared at him, “I’m not meeting your parents in a shack shirt and no makeup.”

“Yes you are, or we can be late.”

I groaned putting my face in my hands, “why didn’t you wake me up earlier”

“Like you would actually get up.” I glared but it was true. He tossed me an old band tee that would probably be a dress on me, “come on I don’t have all day.” I flipped him off and quickly pealed off my old tee replacing it with his. As I predicted, it fit me like a dress so I had to tuck it into my skinny-jeans. I turned back around and faced Alex, who had probably stood there the entire time checking me out.

“Happy?”

He grinned, “You look amazing in my shirts.”

I shoved him aside, “Shut-up asshole.”

August 26th 2012
Los Angeles, California
11:00 am


“You didn’t tell me you were bringing Chloe!” Alex's Mom exclaimed jumping out of her seat running towards us, I wanted to die right then and there. She embraced me in a tight hug and I awkwardly patted her back.

Alex laughed painfully, “This isn’t Chloe, Mom.” She pulled back looking confused and I didn’t blame her, I was confused too. “This is Erin,” he gestured to me and I smiled awkwardly.

“Are you and Chloe not together anymore?” She asked with bewilderment.

I held out my hand, “They are. I’m just a friend who asked to tag along. Nice to meet you Mrs. Gaskarth.” She shook it still looking very confused. Just then Alex’s Dad popped out of nowhere taking in this situation.

“Alex! This must be Chloe.” If only looks could kill, Alex would be six feet under by now.

“No Dad, this is Erin, she’s a good friend.”

“Oh—well this is uncomfortable.” His Dad noted and I laughed nodding my head. “Please sit!” Alex held out the chair for me and I hesitantly took my seat next to his Dad and across from his mom.

“So Erin,” Mrs. Gaskarth tried to eradicate the tension in the room. “How did you and Alex meet?” Fuck my life. Literally, fuck me. I shot Alex a 'please help me look' and he looked just as distressed as I did.

“We meet through mutual friends in an unlikely situation,” Alex murmured trying to avoid the conversation.

“Really, where?” His dad asked. The waiter, with his impeccable timing approached the table.

“Can I get any of you guys some mimosas to start off your brunch?”

“Please!” Alex and I said at the same time and I stiffened my laugh. He was going to hear it from me after this.

“Ok! I’ll be right back to get your orders.”

“So Erin what do you do?” I looked towards his mom and smiled.

“I’m in school double majoring in marketing and French, I want to work in Paris for this amazing marketing company that specifically works with high fashion.” She looked at me quizzically, probably wondering how a girl obviously wearing her son’s clothes and no make-up wanted to work in fashion. I wanted to know how I haven't killed Alex for putting me in this situation.

“Alex has never introduced us to a girl with such high ambitions.” I blushed.

“Mom,” Alex groaned.

“What? It’s true.”

“Can we not do this right now.”

“Alexander, you know its true. What is Chloe again, a professional groupie?” I took a large gulp of my water to avoid laughing. Alex looked upset but before he could say anything our waiter re-appeared.

“What can I get you to eat?” We all ordered and our waiter promised to return soon with refills, which was good because we all needed more alcohol in our systems to finish this brunch.

“So Erin where are you from?” His dad asked taking a large sip of his bloody Mary.

“South Florida,” I answered smiling.

“No shit! What brings you out here?”

“I got an amazing scholarship by UCLA and I found it stupid to turn down the money.”

“Beauty and brains, I’m impressed.” Alex groaned and I blushed.

“You’re too kind Mr. Gaskarth.” He waved me off smiling.

“I’m wondering why we are just now meeting you.” Alex’s mom committed smiling looking towards Alex.

“We just met a little over a month ago, Mom.” She looked surprised by this.

“Really? Wow you could have fooled me.” She noted, “Are you sad that the boys are leaving so soon to go on tour?”

“What?” I looked over at Alex who refused to look at me.

“You didn’t know?” His dad asked me.

“Know what?” Oh I was definitely going to kill Alex now.

“Uh I could have sworn I told you we were leaving in the middle of September to tour.” I plastered a big-fake smile on my face.

“Must have slipped my mind.”

“Hey Alex can you come with me to the bar real quick?” His dad asked noticing my tension towards Alex. As soon as the boys were out of ear shot his mom leaned towards me.

“I think he really likes you Erin, don’t let his stupid antics drive you off. Trust me there are a lot of them.” I must have looked confused because she started laughing, “You really didn’t know he has feeling towards you?”

“He has Chloe, you must be mistaken.” I tried to brush off her comments and she shook her head.

“You are the first girl Alex has introduced us to since high school. Sweetie he really likes you. No matter who he is with now, that poor Chloe, the way he looks at you when you’re not paying attention is a big sign.” I shook my head not believing her. We were just friends. “Trust me I know from experience.” She smiled towards her husband and son who were at the bar.

“We are really good friends, Alex has helped me through a hard time in my life.”

She shook her head, “That may be true but the sooner you stop lying to yourself the better.” I looked up surprised that she would say such a thing to a complete stranger. Now I know where Alex gets his brashness. “Just don’t break his heart, it’s taken him along time to get over the last girl he was in love with.”

“I don’t think Alex and I will ever be romantically involved.” I told her honestly.

“I sure hope that isn’t true because I think you are just what he needs, Erin.” She winked and the boys made their way back over with more drinks in hand. I need two.

August 27th 2012
Los Angeles, California
1:16 pm


“I’m so sorry about my parents, gosh they are so embarrassing some times. My mom didn’t scare you off did she? Gracious that woman loves telling all my deepest and darkest secrets.” He nervously laughed, you had no idea.

“No she is a very nice lady, very blunt.” I laughed and so did Alex. “When can I take off this blind fold?”

“Soon, we are almost there.”

“I swear to God, Alex if you end up taking me to some shitty part of town and leave me there blindfolded I will burn your house down.” He laughed not knowing the truth behind my words. I had a tendency to overreact.

“I told you I had a surprise for you, so would you shut up and let this be a surprise.”

“If it’s Jack naked, I don’t want it.”

“No it’s not Jack naked.” We suddenly stopped and Alex hopped out of the car rushing to my side. He gripped my hand and slowly helped me out of the car.

“Can I take off my blindfold yet?” I asked impatiently.

“No not yet.” He continued to lead me as we walked quite some distance. I hope this surprised included some water because I was about dying of thirst.

“Now?”

“No.”

“How about now?”

“Still no.” We came to an abrupt stop.

“Now?” I asked hopefully and I could hear his laugh echo.

“Yes.” I ripped off the blindfold and was met with an empty venue. We were on stage of a completely empty venue with instruments and a lighting guy smiling at us. I squealed jumping up and down.

“I get to play rockstar?”

“Yes!”

“Blessed!” I exclaimed running towards the speaker hooking up my phone and pressing the shuffle button, Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash came blaring through the speaker system. The lighting guy hit a few buttons and the arena lit up, I was in awe. The first cord went blaring through the many speakers and I reached for the mike.

“Darling you got to let me know, should I stay or should I go?” Alex looked very amused, “Well don’t just stand there! I’m the rockstar! Go grab a guitar or something.”

He laughed and picked up an electric guitar that was sitting off to the side of the stage and started to blend in the with song adding his own flair every now and again.

“It’s always tease, tease, tease. You’re happy when I’m on my knees.” I sang out grasping on to the mic-stand.

“One day it’s fine and next it’s black.” Alex harmonized with me. “Here comes the best part,” He pointed towards the end of the stage where there was a huge black pad sitting there.

“No freaking way!” I yelled over the music.

“Don’t miss!”

“So come on and let me know!” I sang out before diving off the stage and onto the mattress. I felt euphoric. I looked up to see Alex peering over me off the stage. “Don’t do it.” I warned trying to get up knowing imminently what he was up to, but I couldn’t get up fast enough. Alex flung himself of the stage and on top of me with an “umph.” He was cracking up laughing looking at me with his big brown eyes. He was so close that I could smell the french toast he had at brunch from his breath.

“Should I stay or should I go?” He questioned with a small smirk. He kept looking at my lips still hovering above me. We found ourselves in this position a lot lately. The song cut off and it left us both there breathless and confused.

“It’s always tease, tease, tease.” I sang back laughing pushing him off ever so slightly. Once he got off the mattress, he held out his hand to help me off. I took it graciously and slid off the side. “Well, Mr. Alexander, we finished the list with four days to spare.”

“I feel quite accomplished.”

“Me too,” I looked up at him smiling. “Thanks for today, it was a lot of fun.”

“Even meeting my family?” He asked laughing and turned slightly red from blushing.

“Even meeting your crazy family.”

“Can we do this again?”

Was he asking me on a date? “I will sing old hits with you in an empty venue anytime you want.” I said laughing avoiding the elephant in the room.

“It’s a date then.” It was at that moment when he looked down at me and smiled that I realized his mom was right. I did like Alex. I liked him more than a friend ever should.

Shit.