‹ Prequel: Suffocate
Status: Giving this re-write a go

Inhale

Canon

The water is cool. I feel the cold sink in and send my limbs buzzing. I keep going, aiming for one of the rocky pathways. By the time I'm pulling myself up I'm ready for action, awake and alert. I start running now, the grip on these little shoes is good and I don't worry about slipping, there isn't enough time.

I'm at the cornucopia quicker than I had anticipated. There's nothing further out like Finnick had suggested, instead, it's a pile, right under the opening and clearly available from either side. I lurch towards it, let my eyes scan. It's just weapons, nothing else. I don't have time to frown, reach in and bring out a sword, toss it by my feet as I extract some knives in a belt. It fits snuggly around my thigh and I take the time to turn. Brutus has vanished, and I can see Beetee's head in the water. My advantage is slipping.

Finnick must be on land now.

I take hold of the sword again, more people are gone from my view and I start around the cornucopia, my tight so grip it's turning my knuckles white. I don't have to go far on the small island, I recognise the voice quickly and almost skid into him. He's in front of Katniss, who is holding an arrow up directly at him.

I approach, keep quiet, but her eyes stick on me. Finnick must sense me there, but doesn't take his eyes off her, stares her out. “Good thing we're allies right?” I step around him, he's got his arm raised, the bangle obvious, a net dangles from his other shoulder. She glances between the two of us, sees identical metal around my wrist.

I hear footsteps, open my mouth to speak but am beaten to it, “Duck.” Finnick commands, gesturing me aside with his free hand and launching his trident. It goes directly into the chest of the man running behind Katniss. Alit from District Five.

There's barely time to breathe, his hand touches my arm gently and I spin as he goes to get his weapon. “Enobaria's coming,” I warn, spot her emerging, lifting my voice and slipping a knife from my belt. Finnick is on the balls of his feet, “Cover us,” He tells Katniss, “I'll find Peeta. Elle,” He wants me to come towards him and I do take a step, but head back towards the weapon pile, fishing for anything else and tucking my knife back. Who knows if we'll have the chance to come back here, One and Two will be in their element.

I slip out an axe, tuck that in the flotation belt around my hips. Katniss is firing arrows at Enobaria who vanishes into the blue. Other people are starting to get here, we need to move. I'm reaching for another trident when fingers break through the mass of grey metal. They latch hard around my wrist and I freeze for a split second.

It's all I will allow myself and I wrench my arm back, it's not enough, their grasp is tight, the forearm thick. It's Gloss. I can only see up to his shoulder but he yells out for help. I want to do the same but words catch in my throat. My body reacts a little quicker and suddenly one of my knives is in my hand, I hear my sword clash to the ground. I act, swing it and feel it pierce the skin. Gloss releases me with a roar and I snatch my arm back to my body, grab my main weapon and retreat.

Katniss is gone, as is Finnick. I scan for them on this half of the island and see nothing. The other side is District One. I allow myself to swear, to panic for just one more second before I try to swallow it down. “Get moving.” I spit under my breath, follow my own advice.

“Elle!” I hear him before I see him for the second time, darting around the corner and directly into Berg from District Ten. He's slower then me and I shove him aside, he trips and stumbles down the rocks. It's a hell of a lot busier on this side, the Careers are starting to form a little pack. Brutus is already covered in blood and I hear the canon go again.

Finnick's waiting on one of the paths, Katniss a little further ahead. Peeta is on the closest platform to them. I take a step from cover and instantly go to my knees, as an axe flies past and lands in the water, blocking me. There's not the time to allow them to get better aim, I scramble up, sprint directly for the path.

Someone blocks my way so I lurch left, land in the water and come up several metres back. Finnick's eyes are still on me and I gesture for him to move down to Katniss. “I'll get Peeta!” I yell though I'm not sure how well he hears it over the screaming.

I give no chance of a response, dive under the water and up to the path, test if I am able to go under it. The water stings my eyes a little, it's saltier than home but manageable. The paths are suspended, there's plenty of space under and I go as quick as I can, little fishes dart around me. I come up in the next segment, where Peeta is.

Where Peeta was.

He's not on the podium and in the time it takes for me to realise I can see Finnick has already dived in. Peeta is in the water, trying to keep hold of the platform as someone tugs at him. Peeta can't swim, he'll drown. Katniss will bolt if we don't have Peeta. I'm moving again instantly, finding it awkward with the sword in one hand and my axe bumping against my thigh.

I must arrive at the same time as Finnick, both bodies are thrashing under water. It's her from nine, the name fades now. Her arms are around Peeta's neck, his hands clasping at the skin for freedom. Through the bubbles, Finnick reaches for me, no, not for me, for the sword. I let go of it, struggle to get in front of Peeta and manage to tug him away as the blood starts to darken the water. He's still panicking, the worse thing you can do is panic. I'm struggling to kick up with him, he's heavier than me and a hell of a lot stronger but I manage to push off the platform and we surface. I take in a sharp breath, he's still gasping, eyes wild.

“Peeta.” I repeat his name several times, tread water and take his face in my hands as his own clasp at my waist. “We got you, calm down.” Perhaps my words are enough, or maybe he feels Finnick behind him but he does as I say and we tow him back to Katniss.

I keep ahold as Finnick gracefully climbs back on to the rocks. He and Katniss help Peeta, who is still breathing heavily and then Finnick offers me a hand, pulling me out easily. “For you,” He offers me back my sword before gathering his trident. I stare back down towards the cornucopia. We're out of their interest for the moment but it won't be too much longer until the Career Pack start their hunt, a couple of hours max. We need to put a good measure of distance between us and them. A few people are still on their platforms, clearly unable to swim. They'll be the first targets but they'll be easy pickings and won't occupy them long.

Peeta kisses Katniss hard and quick, “We've got allies.” He says matter of factly as if testing her reaction. Her face is hard to read, “Yes,” she manages, the words falsely sweet, “Just as Haymitch intended.” Finnick and I share a look, oddly I struggle not to grin.

“We should move,” I say instead when the realisation that two people are already dead at Finnick's hands strikes and sticks in me. “Before One and Two start looking for us.”

“Remind me,” Katniss is still only speaking to her fiancee “Did we make deals with anyone else?”

Peeta gives a tiny shake of his head. This is almost hilarious, she's so against this but utterly trapped now. Peeta twists, and thanks us both. That's it then, we're somewhat formally in an alliance. Haymitch's plan so far is going without a hitch. “Well if we're not waiting for anyone I think Elenia had the right idea.” Finnick chimes in, taking charge again. I shoot a wary look at his trident, knowing he had killed before and actually seeing it are vastly different.

Within ten minutes we've murdered two people. For all I know Berg could have smacked his head and been a third. The knife in Gloss's arm could have hit an artery. The instant the bell had rung out we were aiming to kill.

No good person wins the games. We're as bad as One and Two. I'm staring at my hands, missing conversation. Finnick pinches my side gently, nodding ahead and into the woodlands. No, not woodlands, it's nothing I've ever seen before.

We move quickly after that, jog, and then walk when it's clear Peeta is in no fit state into the thick trees. It's so humid, sticky and although I feel the salt water dry from me it's soon covered in a layer of sweat. We keep up a good pace until we must have gone about a mile in and we're on a steady incline that's making my thighs burn and my lungs feel tight.

By the time we rest we're in an odd little formation. Peeta is in front with my sword, hacking down vines and low branches. I follow, then Finnick and Katniss. I suppose our most deadly are at the back protecting us.

We all sit heavily, and for a couple of minutes, it's just us catching our breath. “Thanks, again.” I'm close to Peeta, perhaps purposefully. Katniss and Finnick are opposite one another, trying to look casual and failing. That little bubble of humour inflates again, what the hell is wrong with me? I'm officially cracked. “Don't mention it,” I tell him, my chest feels back to normal now, and I squeeze water from my hair.

“Bet the whole not swimming thing sounds really stupid now then.” He jokes, I grin at him, “We get some time and I'll teach you.” His own grin back is wide and toothy. Finnick and Katniss still haven't moved. I suppose this is how it will go for a while, neither of them view Peeta or me as much of a threat so they'll just be wary of each other.

If we were playing this as normal games that would massively work to our advantage. I could surprise her. Peeta had known me, probably watched my games or at least had some idea. They must know about all the people I killed. Well, nearly. I clench and unclench my fingers, try to shift Tyger's weight.

When I look back up Katniss is stretching and eyeing up a tree. “Elle can always do it.” Finnick is offering me up and I'm not sure what for, “You don't want to overexert yourself in your condition.” Her alleged pregnancy, his eyes flicker to mine quickly, wanting me to join in. “It's best to take it as easy as you can.” She isn't expecting me to speak up and spins to face me, “Your blood pressure goes crazy in early pregnancy,” I aim the rest at Finnick, “Remember Rita when we went on that walk to the lighthouse?” There was no walk, at least not any that ended in a negative way but he leaps on it, “As fun as carrying her back was...” Katniss is back to being the third person in this conversation, “Last thing you want is to fall out of the tree....”

She scowls, paces two steps back and forth. “Katniss...” Peeta starts, is he going to back us up or support her? “I can do it.” She snaps, swallows as if to take it back in a move I am very familiar with. “I'm fine.” She addresses the group. “I'll be back in a minute.” She tosses down her bow, at least she isn't going up with the intent of shooting us then.

I debate making a case and following, it would be interesting to see the arena but when I shift Finnick gives an almost incomprehensible shake of his head. I stay put, fiddle with the strap around my thigh to make sure it's tight enough. I only have one knife since I left the other in Gloss' arm.

Katniss has vanished into the canopy and I take the time to look around. The trees here are odd, spongy and dark. The ground is the same, I press my fingers hard and the dents reinflate. It's beautiful, with the vines and bright flowers twisting around us. I hear the canon go off again, fight the urge to jump and focus on a few long intakes of breath, the different colours of the foliage. That helps.

Finnick smiles at me, a check that I'm okay, but doesn't come over. He stays perched how he is, trident loosely within his fingers. I'm struggling to sit still and push myself up, removing the axe from, its place tucked at my hip and unclasping the flotation belt. I grab my remaining knife and cut a hole I can slip the handle of the axe through. It's a lot sturdier and far less likely to slip out. I'll keep the belt as long as it's useful.

Finnick must have shed his as soon as possible and Peeta is still wearing his, to little benefit clearly.

I walk the circumference of the small clearing we are in, glare through gaps in trees for some sign of water. There's been nothing so far other than the large pool in the centre. We can't drink salt water, you'll dehydrate ten times quicker and die before you know it.

Maybe they'll send us chemicals, or some filtration system to remove the salt so it's practically freshwater.

At the moment though there is nothing, just green and sweat. Whenever I glance back at the two men they're staring at their District partners. Peeta is squinting up the tree Katniss has vanished within and Finnick is trailing me as if I'm likely to disappear as well. I flick my plait backwards, although bits of hair are already fighting to escape and tread over. I'm a light step anyway but on this ground, I make no sound.

That could come in handy, but also make it harder to detect an incoming threat. I doubt we're close to anyone now though. If they're not at the cornucopia they've fled and will be doing exactly as we are. See how far from the Career pack you can get.

There's rustling and Katniss reappears. Finnick and Peeta both stand upright, and Finnick's grip on his weapon tightens a little, although he's doing his best not to look too confrontational. I slip beside him, show our solidarity.

"What's going on down there, Katniss? Have they all joined hands? Taken a vow of nonviolence? Tossed the weapons in the sea in defiance of the Capitol?" Finnick cannot keep his tone as even as I know he would like. His smirk flickers.

Her eyes harden again, so far he's just doing a really good job of pissing her off. “No.” She bites, and Peeta moves forward as if to comfort her.

“No,” Finnick echoes, opening his mouth to no doubt continue digging when I cut him off.

“It's fine. We know what we're dealing with, who we're dealing with. I don't think anyone really expected any differently...” I take a step towards her, wondering what I can say to try and repair the damage. Not trusting each other is given, but he knows we're supposed to keep her on side. We may have agreed Peeta was the best way but that doesn't mean make her hate us. All it does is make her feel less guilty if she was to turn. We lose that hesitation.

Finnick scoffs, ignores the glare I shoot him “Whatever happened in the past is in the past. And no one in this arena was a victor by chance,” He smiles, and his head tilts the way it normally does when a poor joke is about to follow, “except maybe Peeta.”

Peeta looks a little taken aback but covers it well. He's a good actor and Finnick has a point. Peeta is here because of Katniss, alive because she kept him so. Finnick clearly does not count me as an accidental victor. I won because I poisoned two people and killed three more, however much I may try to forget it.

There's a long moment where I am certain she's about to go for her bow. That'd be foolish, she'd never stand a chance when Finnick already has his trident in hand. I'm sure she knows this but Peeta puts a stop to it and staggers in between the two of them stiffly. I follow his cue before we end up in bloodshed. I'm facing Finnick and hope the look on my face and the way I lift my brows conveys what I'm trying to get across. “How many are dead?” Peeta asks, shoulder blades pressing against mine.

When Katniss answers, six at least she reckons, I push Finnick gently back and his hand down so the trident is no longer in my face. “Stop.” I hiss, a minuscule gesture towards him, “You are not helping.”

The canon smashes through the tension. “Seven.” Katniss corrects, and we move out of our little arrangement, no immediate threat detectable. I shift my weight, fighting the urge to wipe over my forehead where I can feel the sweat sticking. There's so little breeze here, and what there is is warm.

“Let's keep moving. We need water.” Peeta takes a stand, bends to collect my sword again and weighs it in his clasp. I agree with him, and we all double check over our weapons. I don't miss that Katniss has two sets of arrows, clearly intending on making sure she hasn't enough for any possibility. Such as aiming at our backs.

“Better find some soon,” Finnick breathes, aimed at me but loud enough for us all, “We need to be undercover when the others come hunting us tonight.” The monotone of his voice is what sends a shiver down my spine. We'd always known that the Careers would act as they do, and we're probably the 'strongest' group, at least in their opinion. They know we're together and they'll want to take down the strongest competitors as soon as possible, then they only really have themselves to turn on.

I hate the thought of anything happening to Cashmere and her promise echoes, she wants Gloss to be the one walking away from this. She's protecting her brother in the same way we're protecting a girl who probably doesn't even like us. Screw the probably, Finnick seems intent on spoiling the budding friendship they developed during training.

I keep up my end, stick with Peeta. We're only a little further when the canon rings yet again. I count this time, even if we're unsure of the true number. We all pause, in the midst of a particularly sharp incline and panting. “Doesn't matter,” Finnick huffs, “Every time that canon goes off is music to my ears.” He's fiddling with his trident nonchalantly, is this some ploy to avoid me seeing the lie that must be scrawled on his face? He can't truly feel this way. “I don't care.” He lifts his head now, speaks to all three of us, “About any of them.”

Peeta and Katniss feel unsure of how to take this. Finnick is just pushing with our sell. Making it clear no-one else had been considered and District Twelve had been our aim all along. I scoff, think of Cecilia's children, Beetee's nervous twitch and Cashmere defending me by the chariots. “Well, I do.” The words come out deep and razor sharp, “So leave it."

I push ahead in front of Peeta for a couple of steps, both thankful for and hateful of the tears that are trying to escape. Is it pathetic? Another way to paint myself as weak.

Finnick has already killed two people. I'd helped with one. To the Capitol, her death would be counted as a victory for me as well as him. District Four starting off strong, I could imagine Ceasar now.

There is no sign of water, and as I look behind a promising tree for a sign of a spring I find a small pool of salt water. Desperate I test it, dipping in a finger and putting it to my mouth. Peeta looks worried when I shake my head at him and let him take over the lead, hacking away at vines once again.

There has to be water somewhere. There had been games once, I can vaguely recall from our watch through after the quell announcement, where there had been no water. All water came from sponsors. It hadn't been a good game clearly as nothing like that had been put forward since.

The last time I was in the arena there had been a lake, but unless you purified the liquid, it was deadly. One of the girls seemed to have gone crazy, rambling as Tyger cut her down, more out of mercy than anything.

Finnick lifts his voice at one point, having been silent for a long while. It looks like we're reaching the top of the hill. Maybe we'll have a good vantage point. We must have walked at least two miles by now, an easy amount if I was jogging at home. But add in the constant heat, the lack of water and the hills and it feels like a dozen.

I feel bad about snapping at him, I wasn't doing what we'd said. I'm not playing for the camera's, and he is. Of course he is. I twist and go to lean on the bark of another huge tree, to wait for him by some form of apology when there's a loud crash from in front of me and Peeta goes flying several feet back.

I don't understand, search for some enemy but just see ripples in mid-air.

The force field. He's not just walked into it, surely that wouldn't be so drastic. He must have hit it with the sword. We're all on him instantly, Katniss leaning over him, checking his breath, his heart rate. Her little-strangled cry is all I need. Finnick meets my gaze.

Peeta's dead.