Status: In-progess

Into the Dusk

Chapter one

Ryan pressed the side of his face to the cars cool window as he listened to music that was ringing in his earphones. He could see his father’s mouth open and close as he was talking but his attention was more to the rain that was pouring outside. The car’s tires was picking the rain up to make the water spray across the side in an amusing manner.
‘Almost there…’ He thought to himself as he saw familiar scenery pass by. He could feel his suitcase poking him in his side as his father turned the car roughly to get into the parking lot of their new home. Their old home had sadly burned down leaving them with only a car and borrowed clothes they got from his grandparents. They luckily found an already furnished two room apartment that included utilities for a low cost.
He jumped a bit in his seat as he felt a hand grasp his shoulder but relax as he saw it was just his father. Popping out one of his headphone he looked at his dad with a puzzled look.
“Yeah?” Ryan asked, causing his father to roll his eyes and chuckle before opening the driver side door.
“We’re home.” He courtly replied.
Ryan sighed as he opened his door to get out, grabbing his luggage before closing the door back. Ryan looked up and saw his mother open the door to greet them before quickly going to the car to help unpack the rest of their things. Her usual bun that she kept was now free and her hair was swinging on the sides of her face. It looked lighter since the sun was radiating against it. His father on the other hand was rugged from the move and had dark circles under his eyes.
“Hey mom, is there any food ready?” Ryan asked curiously, feeling his stomach turn from hunger. She laughed while shaking her head in disbelief.
“There’s some chips and some frozen food in the freezer, but don’t eat it all.” She joked as she slung a garbage bag full of covers over her shoulder to carry it more easily.
“Oh and Ryan we need to talk to you in the house for a bit.” His father chimed in as Ryan got to the door way. He felt his chest tightened fearing the worse because the fire and move had already been bad enough.
“Okay…” He said softly before turning back to go into the house. He could hear his footsteps start squeaking from them being wet from the rain before he stopped to get into the fridge. A smile came onto his face as he saw all the food that he loved in there. Pizza, lasagna, fries, and chicken nuggets. Ryan quickly turned to turn on the oven to preheat and leaned on it to wait for his parents to come in. He heard their hushed whispers from the hallway and heard a thump.
“Ryan?!” He heard his father ask loudly.
“In here!” Ryan quickly replied, pushing up from the oven to walk up to them. A thin smile was spread on his father’s face as they walked in side by side.
“Since you still have high school to finish and because we’ve been through so much… We wanted you to have the old car to drive to school.” Ryan smiled largely and laughed deeply not believing what his father said. “You mean the car that I was going to get ‘after’ school for college?” He asked making sure it wasn’t just all a joke.
“Yes that one, but you also need to know one more thing. You have to…” His father started but was suddenly stopped as a wet husky dog ran into the kitchen.
“Nibbles!” His mother scolded before patting the dogs head. “Let’s get you dried up now.” She said grudgingly. His father, in return, just cleared his throat to finish what he was saying in the first place.
“What I was trying to say before Bessie came running in is that yes you can have the old car, but you need to get a job to pay for the gas okay.” Ryan nodded his head enthusiastically, hugging his father tightly.
“Of course! Where?” He asked curiously, but his father shrugged in response.
“I guess this is a good time to go out and find one, huh?”