Status: In-progess

Into the Dusk

Chapter Two

Sighing, Ryan drove up to yet another convenient store to get a job application. He had tried many fast food chains but most of them weren’t hiring. He got out in defeat; already fearing the worst as he pushed open the tinted doors that hung various posters in an ecliptic manner.
An elderly man with salt and pepper hair rose his head from what looked like a magazine in Ryan’s direction.
“Hello, may I help you?” He asked in an extreme British accent. Ryan had to hold in a bit of laughter since where he grew up, there weren’t many different dialects.
“Um, yeah… Is there any chance you’re hiring?” Ryan replied with another question in the mix making the other man sigh before opening a hidden apartment.
“You actually came at a good time since one of the workers left quite… unexpectedly.” He paused before shaking his head and handing the paper to him.
“Anyway, my name is Henry.” The old man introduced before throwing a pen at Ryan to make the boy stumble to try and catch it.
“Ryan. Ryan Permen- it’s nice to meet ya Henry.” He said while writing out his name on the forum.
“It’s ‘you’ not ‘ya’.” The man said grudgingly. “I’m getting way to old for this…”
“To old for what pops?” Someone with black hair voiced as he walked in through a door behind the register. They’re arms were filled with boxes which were swaying. Getting a closer look Ryan could see that he was a male teen. His appearance seemed to be normal and even in fashion since the boy was wearing name brand clothing. A dark blue and black plaid Aeropostale t-shirt along with plank True Religion pant; along with black New Balance shoes that had neon purple stripes.
“Who are you?” The boy asked in a snide tone making Ryan flinch in annoyance. Henry waved one of his hands toward the black haired boy without looking up from his magazine. He must have been reading it when Ryan was examining the other.
“This is Skylar. Skylar this is Ryan, our new employee. So if you please show him the ropes around here and don’t mess it up.” He grunted.
Ryan’s eyes widened as he looked at the form in his hand. “B-But I haven’t even turned in my resume.” He said softly making the older male roll his eyes in an amused manner.
“Well, fill it out after he shows you around. No one come by here anyway so might as well hire you if you’re capable and don’t have a bad criminal record.” Skylar laughed a bit as he set the boxes down.
“You’re going to have fun here~” He said with a large smile making a shiver go through Ryan’s spine from the way Skylar said it. The black haired teen turned to go through the back again so Ryan naturally just followed with the paper still in his hands.
“So... What exactly do you all do here?” He asked curiously; gazing around the back room. The lights were dimmed making it a bit hard to see, but what he saw was just cleared out area with grey concrete floor.
“We’re a processing unit I guess. Goods come in, we make sure they’re in good working order, then mark them for shipping, and then they go to a bigger industry. You’ll be in charge of just sorting through the things to see if anything is completely damaged. You get about nine dollars an hour for a regular eight hour day. Considering school you’ll just work for about five. Weekends are flexible and some day’s we’re open while other days we’re not. In the front is our main products that we sell so you may be on cash register duty. Got it newbie?” Skylar explain in an authority voice, but the sound of boredom leaked in as if he had to say the same thing over and over again.
“I believe I got it. So where are all the boxes?” He asked curiously. Skylar groaned and shook his head.
“The delivery guys were late today so we just got regular inventory for the front.” Ryan nodded his head in understand before playing with the resume. “I should finish filling this out; unless you have something else to explain?” He said curiously. Skylar just stood in silence as if he was contemplating telling the other something important but then he just shook his head.
“Not that I can think of or can tell you yet.” He said in a soft tone before arching his back to pop it. “Alrighty then.” Ryan comely said before turning on his heel to go back to the front. What he didn’t see was a small blurry figure sitting in the back corner who’s eyes opened when he walked away to show bright red eyes that radiated through the dark room. And he didn’t Skylar’s wide smile and a courtly laugh.
“You have no idea what you’re getting into…” Skylar said to himself lowly.