Status: In-progess

Into the Dusk

Chapter Three

Sighing as he walked into his house; he felt his phone vibrate on his hip. Digging it out, he looked to see that his friend had texted him to see how he was. His phone was a regular black iPhone 4 that he took great care of since he didn't have the money to buy a new one. He lazily replied that he was fine before seeing that the time was around nine thirty. Ryan had no idea that they would make him work 'that' day. He guessed he was still pretty lucky to find such a great job with good pay.

"Ryan?" He heard a sleepy voice call out with a yawn. He looked to see his mother walk into the living room where the front door resided next to. Her hair was a mess and her pajamas' had a lot of wrinkles that made the pictures of the dogs harder to see.

"Sorry for waking you." He said with a small laugh before walking past her to get to his room. She just gave another yawn before walking back to her room as well.

Grabbing onto his door handle, he pushed the door open and was greeted by the sight of boxes that littered the room. He didn't have the energy to start moving everything around so he carefully moved passed the obstacles in his way to get to his bed. He fell down on it with an audible 'thump' with a groan. He didn't want to go to school in the morning but knew he had to since he didn't have a good enough reason to stay behind. He was an average student at Riverside High, getting A's and B's with the occasional C or D. Ryan loved sleep and if he had the chance to choice between school and sleep he would chose sleep. But, most students were like that he assumed. The only good thing about school to him was learning new things he found interesting and reading mystery crime books. He would even occasionally sneak his phone out to get on his blog.

He heard something scratching against the wood of the door and a small chuckle passed his lips.

"Bessie?" He asked and got a bark in reply. He sat up and grumbled since his room wasn't safe for the dog yet. He stayed quiet trying to see if Bessie would give up and walk away; and after a few whines she eventually did. He laid back down and curled up in the covers not minding that his light was still on. His eyes felt to heavy to be open so he closed them. Before he knew it, he was fast asleep.

He heard an alarm go off that made a terrible siren like sound making Ryan jolt up. His parents got him the 'special alarm' since he was always almost late to school if he didn't have it. The alarm served its purpose as he clicked the off button instead of the snooze.

"Ryan!" He heard his father yell from what sounded like the kitchen. "I'm up!" He replied in a shouting manner so his father could hear him. He got up feeling groggy and a bit sick since he forgot to eat dinner because of his job. He usually never missed a meal since he was always hungry and made sure to eat so the feeling was a bit foreign to him. Ryan opened one of the boxes that had the writing 'R. Clothes' scribbled on the side. He felt a bit nervous about starting at a new school with not knowing many people in the area.

Slipping on his shoes, that were just a plain pair of black converse he got at a local shoe shop, he made his way to the bathroom to brush his teeth and comb his unruly dark brown hair to get out of his eyes. His hair was cut short but it didn't stop it from managing its way into his face. He then went into the kitchen where his father sat at the table, blowing gently on his coffee to cool it down.

"Mornin' Dad." Ryan said causally as he grabbed a muffin from the table to eat. He didn't have time to make food for himself since he still need to get all his school things together.

"Ready for your big day?" He father asked. Ryan only nodded to signal his response. His father's name was Ben, and he had managed to get a security job at a bank in the area. His mother on the other hand was still looking for work and just enjoyed staying in bed instead of getting up. Her name was Jessica and she was a free spirit that was very optimistic to even the toughest situations. She wanted to be a counselor at the school but the positions were already filled.

"I got all your things in your bag so you can head on out. It's beside the door." Ben said causally with a thin smile. He had some bags under his eyes from waking up early even though he was dressed in a black suit with a white dress shirt and a bright red tie that gave off an aura of sophistication.

"Thanks dad~" Ryan said happily before hugging him and going to sling the bag on his back before opening the door.

"I'll see you all after school." He cooed before walking off to his car to get in and start it. He carefully hooked his seat belt in since it was being a bit tricky with him. He moved the car into reverse and set his sights on getting to school.

"And a new day begins…" He said with a grumble still not wanting to go but school was school.