Wildest Dreams

Just Us

Days pass by quickly as we all learn to get into a routine with each other. The rest of the guys have decided that staying at Matt's house isn't necessary anymore since I'm not just going to up and disappear one day without them knowing. It almost feels as if life is starting to get back to the way it was before everything blew up.

As I'm siting in the backyard watching Cash giggle as Bella chases after the ball he had just thrown for her, my phone starts ringing. I look down to see a name I didn't expect to see ever again.

Chris.

I stare at the phone for a second before picking of up with shaky fingers. I press the green button and hold it to my ear, no words leaving my lips.

"Nice of you to answer the phone. I assumed you would have blocked my number." His tone is sickeningly sweet.

"What do you want? Why are you calling me?"

"Did you really think you could get away with everything you did, Mariah? Did you really think I was just going to let all of this go after finding out where you come from?"

"What are you talking about?" My heart starts to beat faster in my chest as I try to keep my focus on my son and not the raging alcoholic on the phone.

"I want paid, Mariah. For all the bullshit I put up with out of you. For all the times I supported you and your son. I want money and I want it sooner rather than later. Now that I know you you were fucking the members of Avenged Sevenfold, that shouldn't be a problem."

"You can't be serious? After all the bullshit you put me through, now you want to threaten me for money? I have no money, Chris."

"You might not, but your boyfriend does. We will talk more later. But know that if you don't take this seriously, I will find you when you least expect it, Mariah. And I'll be looking forward to that little reunion."

The line goes dead and my heart sinks into my stomach. Would it be easy to pay Chris off and move on with our lives? Sure. But I don't believe it would end there. Chris will keep asking for money anytime he feels like it. The thought of rewarding him for the way he treated Cash and me makes me sick to my stomach.

"What's going on out here?" I hear a comforting voice ask and I turn to see Matt walking out onto the patio

"Oh, nothing." I mumble as I turn back to face Cash who is laying in the grass giggling as Bella licks his face.

"I saw you talking on the phone. You looked concerned."

Shit.

"Oh." I avoid his eyes, but he steps in front of me.

"Who was on the phone?"

"Nobody." I run my fingers through my hair and stand up from my spot on the ground. "I'm going to go take a shower. Mind watching the kid for a bit?"

"Like you have to ask, Mariah."

"Thanks." I head inside and up to the master bedroom to try and get myself together for the day, my mind spiraling in a thousand different directions.

_____________


"So I was thinking." I say as I walk downstairs an hour later, fully dressed and feeling a little better.

"Yeah?" Matt says from the kitchen where he's cooking a grilled cheese on the stove for his son who is watching cartoons from his high chair. Matt must have cut a banana into a few pieces for him to snack on while he waits for his sandwich. I stop for a second, resting my arm on the door frame, my arms crossed over my chest as I take in the two of them. My heart swells in my chest. Matt turns around and catches me staring and a smile pulls at one corner of his lips. "What?" He asks.

"Nothing." I whisper as I make my way over to my son and press a kiss to his forehead. Cash giggles at me as he presses a piece of banana to my lips. "Why thank you, sweet boy." I take the piece of banana from him and pop it into my mouth.

"What were you thinking?" Matt asks as I come over to him and lean against the counter top.

"I want to take you to dinner. You and Cash. I owe you after everything you have done for me in such a short amount of time."

"You know you don't have to do that. Whether you like it or not we are family and family takes care of each other."

"It's the least I can do." Matt rolls his eyes at me but nods as he takes the grilled cheese off the stove and cuts it in half for his son.

"If you insist."

"I do. So dinner. Just us." A grin spreads across Matt's face and I arch an eyebrow.

"Why are you so smiley?"

"Just us. It's like we are an actual family after all this time." I glance over at Cash who is in a cartoon daze. Everything just feels right even after everything that's happened.

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

"You hungry?" Matt asks as he points to the stove.

"Starving." I hop up on the counter as Matt places the sandwich he made for Cash in front of him and then comes back over to make me one. Matt keeps glancing at me over his shoulder, a smile on his face every time as we small talk about where he wants to go for dinner.

We are brought out of our conversation by a sweet voice mumbling and I turn my attention to my son.

"What did you say, baby?" I ask him as I hop down from the counter and make my way over to him. I lift him out of his chair and he stares at me through his beautiful long lashes bashfully.

"Mama."

"Yes?"

"Daddy." He points at Matt with a dimpled smile and I feel the lump in my throat forming."

"He sure is, baby." I look up at Matt and there's tears swimming in his hazel eyes. He makes his way over and wraps his arms around the two of us. Matt rests his chin on the top of my head and I know he's trying to be the strong man he thinks I need. He doesn't want me to see him cry. I pull away from him and Matt lifts Cas into his own arms, the tears dried now.

"I love you, both. So much." He mumbles as he kisses the top of Cash's head and reaches out to pull me into his side. I slip one arm around his waist and look up at him.

"I know, Matt. I know."
♠ ♠ ♠
They're getting somewhere (:

Mariah and Cash