Wildest Dreams

Running

"So don't forget we have that gig this Saturday at The Church." Zack points out without looking away from his video game, a headset firmly on his head with God only knows what music playing into his ears. I can't remember the last time I saw him without those damn headphones.

"We know, Zack. We know." I tell him as I roll my eyes and throw a pillow at him. His gaze never leaves the screen but he yells profanities my way with a laugh.

"I'm thinking about inviting Michelle." Brian says with a devious smirk.

"Just nail her already, Jesus." I say while shaking my head at him. "You've had a thing for that girl for how long, now?"

"Since high school, man. You know that."

"Didn't think it would take you this long to get with her, though."

"Ew. Can I please come downstairs and get something to eat without hearing you guys talk about sex? Just once would be awesome."

I look up to see Brian's little sister, Mariah walking down the hallway towards the kitchen in a pair of sweatpants and a sports bra. Her hair is done up in a messy bun from what I can tell and I can only her imagine her face, makeup-less but still beautiful. If only Brian knew the thoughts that are running through my head. He would kill me in a heartbeat, or at least give it his best shot. Mariah has been around us just about her entire life, so it's rare that she thinks twice about the kinds of clothes she wears around us. To her, we're just like Brian.

I stand up from the recliner I've been sitting in and head into the kitchen myself.

"You want anything, Bri?" I ask as I make my way down the hallway.

"Nah, man. I'm good."

When I enter the kitchen Mariah is standing with her hand on her hip while pondering her options in the refrigerator. Her eyes flicker to me when I enter the room and a smile pulls at the corners of her lips.

"If I didn't know better, Matthew, I'd think you were trying to get me alone." she flashes me a smile and it causes my heart to skip just a little.

"Never. What on earth gave you that idea?"

"Oh, nothing." she pulls a bottle of water out of the fridge and moves out of my way without another word. She studies me as I try to decide what I want.

"Yes?" I ask her as I throw her a glance over my shoulder.

"You been working out?" she asks as she raises an eyebrow at me. If only she knew what that look does to me.

"Might have been. What's it to ya?"

"Well I'm always looking for someone to go running with me. Maybe you could find time in your busy schedule to go?"

I stare into her innocent brown eyes for a few quick seconds before I answer her question.

"I think I could fit you in. But I only go early, and you have to keep up. I'm not gonna baby you." I tease.

"I wouldn't expect you to."

Mariah rolls her eyes as she unscrews the cap to her water bottle and takes a sip.

"We'll just see who's having to keep up with who."

She turns and heads back towards the living room without another word and I follow her only a few seconds later. When I get back into the living room she's already gone back up the stairs. I sit back down with Brian and stare at the screen as Zack kills zombies with the controller.

•••


A few days later, Saturday morning to be exact, Mariah and I are jogging down the street, a comfortable silence between the two of us. I'm glad Brian wasn't awake yet when I knocked on the door because I could barely hide my want for his little sister when she opened the door in a pair of skin tight running shorts and a sports bra, a pair of hot pink tennis shoes on her feet with her hair in a tight pony tail.

"You know, you being only seventeen you probably shouldn't be leaving the house dressed like that."

"But I have you with me, so I'll be okay, right?" she teases. She has no idea the power she has over me.

"Does Brian know you wear shit like this?" I trail my eyes up and down her body.

"Brian is not my father."

"But Brian likes to act like it."

Mariah crosses her arms across her chest and glares at me. Brian's overprotective nature has always been something that drives her crazy since she turned into a woman almost overnight. I've seen him throw punches for guys just giving her the wrong kind of look.

"Lets just go." she closes the front door behind her and takes off at a leisurely jog and I catch up to her with ease.

"I was just messing with you." I tell her after a few moments in silence. She side glances at me with that smile I love so much.

"I know."

A little while later when we are running through town, I have to admit I'm a little impressed with her endurance. We've been going for about a half an hour and I stop at a red light. I place my hands on my knees and take a few much needed deep breaths. When I look up, Mariah is jogging in place, her pony tail bouncing.

"You're like the energizer bunny. Do you ever slow down?"

"Never. I thought you said I wouldn't be able to keep up with you?"

"I'm a lot bigger than you, babe. I get tired faster."

"Well I guess I'll just have to whip you into shape, won't I?"

My mind immediately wanders to a very dangerous place and I do my best to wipe the thoughts away as the light turns green and I take off running without a response. She catches up to me and there's a worried expression written all over her face.

"Did I say something wrong?" I take a few breaths before responding.

"No, not at all."

"Then why did you get all weird back there?" I turn a corner and cross another street as I turn us in the opposite direction and head back towards the Haner house.

"I didn't."

"But you did. And now you're being short with me." I look over at her and every cell in my body tells me to leave it alone. To let it go and not say another word, but I've never been all that smart. I stop running and take her wrist in mine. Without giving her a chance to react I put my hands on her hips and back her against the brick wall that lines the sidewalk. I press my lips to hers and I can feel the surprise in her body language. She doesn't kiss me back and I pull away and turn back in the direction we had just been headed. I don't look back to see if she's following me.

It takes a few moments but I see her beside me not long after. She doesn't say a word and we continue on in silence that is not quite so comfortable anymore.

When we are closing in on her house, she finally speaks.

"What, what was that?" she whispers out. We slow down to a walk and I can't bring myself to look at her. If she tells Brian what I just did that could end a lifelong friendship.

"It was nothing. It was me being stupid."

"You can't just do that and then not have a better explanation than that." I can hear the hurt in her voice. I stop walking and turn to her once more.

"Look, I like you. And I have for a while now. But this-" I motion between her and I. "this can never happen."

She looks down at her feet before looking back up at me. Her eyes are almost sad, as if the words I'd just spoke hurt her feelings.

"I don't want things to change between us. I'm still here for you if you ever need me and I hope we can keep doing this a few mornings a week, but Brian would kill me and you know it."

"I'm so tired of Brian dictating my life."

"He's your brother and he loves you. He knows what's best and a guy like me is not what's best for you, Mariah."

"How do you know that?" I reach out and brush a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"I'm not good. I'd only hurt you. Now I'm going to head home, and I hope you come to the show tonight. It'll be fun."

"Are you going to be there with Val?" she asks, knowing my on-and-off girlfriend usually always comes to the shows. We are 'off' right now, but that never really means much. Val doesn't take no for an answer and when she's lonely she comes running. I have a hard time saying no to that kind of dedication.

"I can't answer that. I haven't talked to her and I didn't invite her, but you know Val." she nods her head and looks in the direction of her house which is just a few down from where we are standing.

"I guess I'll see you." she turns to walk away without another word and it almost hurts to see her go. I can't believe I could be so stupid and just kiss her the way I did. She's not like the other girls I've been with. She's not easy and ready to give it up to any guy who asks for it. As far as I know, Mariah has never even had a real boyfriend. Not like Brian would allow her to if she tried.

"Hey, Mariah." I shout just before she turns to walk up to the door. She turns to look at me with a hopeful expression. "I really hope you come." she smiles one last time before disappearing from my view. I turn and head in the direction of my own house with a million different thoughts running through my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's only just beguuuuunnn :)