Wildest Dreams

Real

“Mariah!” I hear my name being called from downstairs. I want to ignore him, I don't want to talk anymore. I'd talked to the police until I was blue in the face. Then Brian called to make sure I was still breathing at seven in the morning. I think he was more interested in talking to Matt than me. My brother is an action kind of guy, the opposite of me. He doesn't sit and dwell on the issue, he fixes it.

I rest my head back against the wall and pull my knees to my chest. The sound of feet on the staircase fills my ears and Matt pops his head into the room seconds later. “I've been talking to you for ten minutes. Didn't you hear me?” I look up at him and I can't imagine what I look like to him. Messy hair, bloodshot eyes, wearing a pair of his sweatpants and a Metallica shirt.

“What?” I mumble out with no emotion.

“You've got to take a shower. You'll feel better.” I ignore his comment and continue to stare into his hazel eyes. “I have good news.” More silence. What news could possibly be good at this point. Matt let's out a frustrated sigh as he comes into the room and kneels in front of me. He takes my cold hands in his warm ones and gives them a squeeze. “Zack found the man from the store.” I sit up a little straighter, more interested in what he has to say now. “His name is Travis. Zack has his address. Him and Brian drove past about an hour ago and there was someone inside. We’re going there now.”

“I want to come.” I try to stand but Matt holds me in place.

“No.” His eyes are serious, brows furrowed.

“What do you mean, no? I have to come. What if Cash is there?” My voice is almost frantic. Matt soothes me by taking my face in his hands and kissing my lips.

“I mean no because we are going to do whatever it takes to get him back. The police aren't moving fast enough. I can't leave our son’s life in their hands. I don't want you involved in case something were to go down.”

“But-“

“No. I'm going to get him back.” Matt’s tone tells me his decision is not to be argued and I know I have to believe him.

“Okay.” I whisper out. “Get our baby back.” I brush my lips against his and hold him there a second longer. I have been so angry I'm afraid he thinks I blame him. I've turned him away every time he tries to speak to me.

“I promise.” I hear the front door open and the sound of hushed conversation. “They're here. Your dad will be here soon, he's going to wait with you.” Matt pulls me to my feet and brushes a few stray hairs behind my ears.

When I reach the bottom of the stairs my brother wraps me in his arms. I bury my face in the black sweatshirt he's wearing and he squeezes me tight. My arms wind around his waist and come into contact with something in the back of his jeans. Brian pulls away from me and steps back like nothing happened.

“Brian. What is that?” My words come out slow as I look from him to Zack. “Turn around.” I demand. I know the answer, but I want him to admit it.

“Mariah-“

“Turn around.” My brother does as I ask with a loud huff as I grab the back of his sweatshirt and yank it up to reveal a gun tucked into his jeans. “This is madness.” I direct my stare at Zack next and he won't meet my eyes as he lifts the front of his leather jacket to show a gun on him as well. “This is insane.”

“Chris took this shit way too far.” Brian tells me through gritted teeth.

“Yes, I know. But if anything happens to any of you, if Cash..” I trail off.

“Nothing is going to happen. Getting Cash back is the priority.” I pause for a moment as I stare up at my brother. We may have been to hell and back, but I couldn't survive if something happened to him.

“Bring him home, Bri. I need him back.” Brian kisses my forehead and envelopes me in a hug once more. I close my eyes and try to push away the worry and doubt. Everything is going to be fine. It has to be. Matt clears his throat and slips his arms into a black zip up sweatshirt. I watch as he steps into the dining room to the cabinet in the corner that holds his collection of black steel. He dials in the lock code on the digital pin pad and stares at the glossy finishes of his gun collection before picking one. My heart sinks because I know this is real.