Wildest Dreams

Birthday

The sound of the kids laughing and jumping on the monstrous bounce house filters through the house into the kitchen from the open patio door as I press the wax birthday candle in the shape of a ‘3’ into the center of the cake. It's in the shape of a T-Rex in bright green, just what he'd asked for.

The backyard is filled with people. All of our close friends, the guys of course as well as my dad and some of the neighbors who have children. We had set up tables earlier this morning for trays of finger foods, drinks, and other snacks. There's multi colored balloons tied to every surface Kyle could get her hands on and the piñata, filled with any and every kind of candy you could imagine, hangs over the patio.

Samantha stands not far from me, one hand stuffed in a bag of tortilla chips on the counter, the other hand holding a disposable bowl filled with her homemade salsa. There's a faraway look in her eyes as she stares out the kitchen window watching Carter jump in the red and blue bounce house with his daughter and my son as well as a few of the neighborhood kids.

“He seems to be having fun.” I make my way over to her and take a chip from the bag before scooping up some of the salsa from her bowl. I pop the Tostitos into my mouth before pointing out the window at her ex lover.

“He sure does love her.” There's hesitance in her voice and I place my hand on her shoulder.

“Is this what you want?” I steal another chip before grabbing a lighter from the drawer beside her.

“I want my family together, there's never been a question about that.”

“Do you love him?” She rolls her eyes at me.

“Of course I do. There's still damage there to be fixed, but I love him for being a good dad. The rest could follow again. I loved him before.” She sighs as I flick the lighter and a small flame pops out to set the birthday candle on fire.

“You're making the right choice in my opinion.” I tell her while lifting the cake plate onto my arm, “if you are happiest with him, it'll work.” I try to give her a reassuring smile before stepping to the French doors while starting to sing ‘Happy Birthday.’

The adults in the backyard catch the hint and all join in as my son peeks his head out of the bounce house. A silly grin spreads across his face and the dimples he inherited from his father are on full display.

Carter helps my son and the other smaller children down and Cash takes off running towards me with Amelia not far behind. I place the plate onto the table and lift him into my arms so he can see. He marvels at the cake with excitement in his eyes and you would never believe that a few hours ago he was throwing the biggest tantrum of his life in his father’s arms.

Jimmy comes over while bellowing the words to the birthday song at the top of his lungs. He reaches out to tickle my son and giggles erupt from the toddlers chest.

“Blow out the candle!” Jimmy encourages while taking Cash from me and leaning down so the little boys face is close enough. Everyone cheers as the song comes to an end and Cash takes a deep breath before blowing with all of his might. The flame stands no chance and everyone claps.

“Mama, I did it!” Cash exclaims while clapping his own two hands.

“I know, you are so big now!” I lean over to give him a kiss before reaching for the knife I'd brought out earlier to cut the cake. Jimmy sets Cash down in one of the chairs before setting a paper plate with the banana split flavored cake on it in front of him.

The kids all snatch up their plates without hesitation before spreading out on the patio furniture to eat. I take a bite for myself before I turn my attention to the backyard gate that has swung open to reveal Zack. I hadn't expected him to show because he, once again, had a physical therapy appointment scheduled.

I rush over to him and envelope him into a tight hug. I haven't seen him much since everything happened and I think it's been intentional on his part. Zack hasn't been the same since the Chris situation went down.

“You okay?” I mumble into his ear so no one else can hear.

“I'm okay. Shoulder is getting better every day.” He avoids my gaze as I pull away from the embrace.

“I'm not talking about your shoulder, Zee.” His hand squeezes mine before stepping away, ignoring my question entirely, to make his way over to Cash where he plants a kiss on his cheek and sets a royal blue gift bag stuffed with purple tissue beside the birthday boy.

“A present?” I hear Cash ask, his voice full of excitement.

“Just for you.” A smile pulls at the corners of Zack’s lips as I watch him hug and shake hands with the group of adults. He comes to a stop beside Johnny and the two of them exchange a few hushed words.

My eyebrows scrunch in confusion but I try to brush it off. Zack has told me a thousand times he's not upset, he’s just a little different after being shot at and now his two best friends are serving time while he got off.

“What's on your mind?” My father's voice startles me and I place my hand over my heart.

“Jesus, dad. You scared me.”

“You were off in another world.”

“Do you know what's up with Zack? He barely spoke to me when he came in.”

“I think he's just working through some stuff you know, he's a sensitive guy.” There's something in the way my father’s eyes don't fully meet mine, much like Zack’s earlier.

“Why do I feel like there's something you two know that I don't?”

“Enjoy your kid’s birthday, Mariah. Don't go spoiling the day overthinking things.” He walks away to rejoin the group and I roll my eyes to myself. I'm not given much time to dwell on the subject because Cash comes running at me full force, his face covered in purple frosting.

“Whoa, look at this mess!” I tease while crouching down to wipe some of it away with my thumb.

“Can we open presents now?” My son begs while tugging on my shirt.

“Why don't you go ask uncle Johnny. He's in charge of presents.” Cash nods and zooms off to the shorter man. I see Johnny nod and make his way over to the gift table before setting one on a chair so it's low enough for Cash to reach.

I wander over and take my phone out to snap a few pictures. I know Matt and Brian will appreciate them the next time we visit. Jimmy comes over and slings an arm over my shoulder.

“The big one on the end is from me. It's this insanely awesome hot wheels track. Glows in the dark and shit. Its massive.” He mumbles in my ear.

“Great. More for me to step on.” I tease. “When I break an ankle I'll remember to call you for help. I can't keep up with the stuff he drags out.”

“You know I could help out, right?”

“You already do. You're so good to us, Jim.”

“But if you ever need or want help you know you can call me.” I raise an eyebrow at him.

“Of course.” He gives me a quick hug before making his way over to the gift table where he plops the oversized gift wrapped in Jurassic Park themed paper onto the ground for my son to open. Cash’s eyes light up in wonder as he peels the wrap off the gift and sees the bright colored hot wheels track on the outside of the box. My heart swells as he turns to look at me, his hazel eyes filled with joy and I make my way over to check it out.
♠ ♠ ♠