Wildest Dreams

Take your Time

"You know Brian is going to find out about us eventually." I say to Matt as we are laying in bed one night. We usually end up at his apartment for obvious reasons, with me being so young and Brian being, well, Brian.

"Do we really have to talk about your brother right now?" Matt says with a laugh as he motions towards my naked body clad in only a white sheet.

"I'm eighteen, now. Brian's opinion doesn't matter to me, but I feel like we should be honest with him. He is your best friend after all." Matt reaches up with a grin and grabs the edge of the sheet and begins pulling it down off of me. "Stop!" I giggle and slap his hand away. He looks up at me with those beautiful hazel eyes I love so much.

"We aren't having this conversation right now. All I want to talk about is you and how sexy you look and how much I want to touch every inch of you." his eyes turn dark and I can feel the butterflies start attacking my stomach as he runs his hands up and down my legs as he kneels over me on the bed. Matt takes the sheet in his hand once again and pulls it down over my breasts to my abdomen. I bite my bottom lip as his eyes focus on each part of me that's newly exposed. Matt leans down and kisses from the middle of my breasts down to my bellybutton and grin spreads across my lips as he doesn't stop there.


I wake up to the sound of pots and pans clattering around not far from where I'm sleeping. My eyes open and it takes me a moment to adjust to my surroundings. This room feels familiar and as I sit up in the bed and I am bombarded with a thousand memories. I look in front of me and see the vanity that use to house all of my make up and perfumes. The walk-in closet to the left of the vanity looks empty from where I'm sitting. Dark colored clothing litters the floor of the bedroom and the curtains are drawn tight only allowing a little bit of light to illuminate the large sized room.

This is the home Matt and I bought a year before he proposed to me. This is the home I thought we were going to build a life and a family together in. My throat becomes tight as I try to push the thoughts to the back of my mind while standing from the bed. I make my way over to the dresser that use to have pictures of everyone we love framed on top, but now it's empty with just one bottle of the cologne Matt wears that I could drown in sitting off to the side.

Dust falls from the curtains as I take one in each hand and push them open and I'm almost blinded by the bright California sun shining down. Three houses down is where Zack bought his first home with his girlfriend Jenna, who use to be one of my best friends. On the next street over is where Jimmy lives with his girlfriend, Madison. The rest of the guys live in this neighborhood as well. We chose here because this is where our family was.

Nostalgia courses through me and after the last twenty-four hours tears start to build up in the backs of my eyes until there is a knock on the door and I snap myself back to reality. I wipe the tears from my cheeks and turn around to see who has come in.

"I thought I heard you moving around up here." Matt says as he looks at me from the doorway. He makes no move to come any closer.

"It looks different in here." I whisper as I look around at the room we use to share.

"I haven't done much since you left."

We stand and look at each other awkwardly, not sure what to say to the other.

"Brian is here." Matt says after a few moments in silence. My heart drops.

"What has he said?"

"He doesn't know anything. He just thinks we found you and brought you here, but the moment he sees you he's going to know something isn't right." I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion as Matt points at the mirror sitting atop the vanity. I walk over and take a look and gasp. The whole left side of my face is black and blue and my eye is blood shot.

"You should probably shower. Your hair is covered in blood. I didn't want to wake you when we got here last night, even though I shouldn't have let you go to sleep after hitting your head hard enough to do that. There's stuff in the bathroom you can use."

"I don't have any clothes here."

"Zack grabbed a bag of your stuff from your apartment before we left. Figured you were going to need some clothes to get you by."

"Is Cash asleep?"

"Actually, he's been playing with Brian all morning since he got here. They've become fast friends." I bite my bottom lip as I think about my brother downstairs playing with my son. "Take your time. No one is going to rush you." I fidget with my hands, not sure what to say anymore. "I guess I'll leave you alone, then. Just come down when you're ready."

Matt turns to make his way out of the bedroom but I take a step forward to stop him.

"Matt." he turns to look at me once more. "Thank you. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had you to call. I can't even think about what could have happened to me. Or to Cash. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to him."

"Nothing is ever going to happen to either one of you, Mariah. Never again."

Without another word he leaves, making sure to shut the door behind him. I take a deep breath and head into the bathroom that's connected to the bedroom. I turn on the knobs to the shower and strip down while waiting for the water to heat up. When I get in I notice the same shampoos and body washes Matt use to wear years ago.

Once I'm out of the shower I towel dry my hair while I put on clothes that Matt must have brought into the bedroom while I was in the bathroom. Once I have myself halfway put together I look myself over in the mirror with a sigh before heading towards the door to face the one person I'm the most afraid to see.

My brother.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Mariah

Matt's house