Status: Please feel free to let me know what you think and if you want more.

Last Hope

My heart pounds like thunder as I run from what was once my home. The sound of Lucy's screams still echo in my head as though I was still standing there. How could I leaver her? I didn't even try to save her, I just...ran. A tear streams down my cheek, and I feel as though I'm going to collapse, but the hellish sounds of a hungry pack keep my legs steadily moving. My sides burn with such intensity that I have to catch myself from doubling over. I've been running for what seems like hours and still no sign of a hiding place. The sounds of the dead seem to be softer but I can't risk stopping now. With almost no ammo for the only thing I managed to grab before fleeing, I alone am not match for such a large horde.
As the sun begins to set I find myself becoming more desperate to find a safe house. I can't hear them anymore, but that isn't much comfort. I know now that they can be as quiet as they need to be. Rest is simply not an option, but it is becoming clear to me that I might not be able to find anything tonight. The sun is just barely hanging from the horizon, and I'm beginning to fear this my be my final night in this nightmare of a world. The air is starting to change as the darkness settles in around me. My vision is starting to weaken along with the rest of my body. It's trying to quit on me, but I won't let it. It's hard enough to survive fully rested and behind a locked door, let alone exhausted in the middle of undead central.
Every little sound absolutely wrecks me. With each rustling leaf and swaying branch I can't help, but feel death is close. I'm on the brink of losing it. My body is spent, and my mental awareness is becoming a foggy remnant of its former self. How can one person remain alive in this undead hell? I feel my body forcing me into slumber when out of the corner of my eye I see a light. It wasn't very bright, but it was the best chance I had. I slowly make my way towards it not leaving any room for error. I can't let myself die just yet. As I get closer I smell the dirty scent of pond water. The air was thick with moss and mud. I could make out the shape of a small boat house. The light was flickering, but I have yet to hear any sign of life. I grab my gun and load my last three rounds into the small black clip before making any advances towards the house. My feet softly glide over the ground, so as not to make a noise, and with one swift move I push the door open.