The Tick Tock of the Clock

peeshaw you love me.

The door swung open and I lifted my eyes from the Bridal magazine I’d found under the coffee table. I was humoring Mrs. Wentz, but I was saying she’d better start talking to Ashlee soon, things were getting serious with her and her potentially dead son.

“Isn’t that dress…” Mrs. Wentz trailed off as my eyes narrowed at the man in the doorway. He hadn’t been gone long.

“First off, I know I’m a dead man, second off. We didn’t get ice cream he didn’t want any so we went to this cool vintage store and I’d like to introduce the new Jack.” Pete stated. Jack stumbled in with a, what I’d guess, small black and purple stripped sweater that hung around his knees. “He really liked it.” Pete laughed closing the door as I glared at him. “Kill me later when there are no witnesses.” He added sitting on the couch opposite his mother and I.

“There are always witnesses.” I grumbled as Jack climbed up in my lap. Pete smiled and Anthony looked up from his video game to look at his brother.

“Is that why he’s still alive?” I nodded slowly.

“He’s lucky I don’t wanna go to prison and I can’t afford to anymore.” I growled at Pete who smiled at me lightly.

“You know you love me.” Pete mused.

“You and Gabe will both be found several years from now at the bottom of Lake Michigan with the best cement shoes I could ever buy or make.” I stated fluttering my lashes at him. Pete pulled his phone out dialing a number. “Why do you have to call Gabe now?” I asked softly. Pete held a finger up as he frowned.

“Pin Dibbaa, frina skin. Love Pete.” He muttered before closing his phone. Putting Jack in Mrs. Wentz lap I stood up. “Where are you going?” Pete asked as I moved up the stairs.

I hate how certain people can develop their own languages. I really do.

Grabbing my bag I pulled it open and took out my black book. Pausing I shook my head at the first one in it. Sisky-Butcher Language 101; Provided by William E. Beckett and Michael G. Chislett. I frowned at that. It hardly came in hand, they always talked to fast. I flipped to the next tab. The Language of Gabe Saporta, curtsy of Gabe Saporta. I began flipping through it.

Raising a brow I looked at all the words Pete had uttered. I frowned as I headed back down stairs still looking through the pages.

“Why do you need a meeting with Gabe?” I asked softly, standing near the bottom of the steps still staring at Gabe’s horrible hand writing. I glanced up at Pete, he was holding Jack and playing with him.

“How the hell do you know I said that...?” He whispered. I frowned. “Sorry.” He muttered giving me a sheepish grin for his use of the word hell.

Letting out a deep breath I smiled at him, batting my lashes at him as I did so. Closing my little black book I watched as he gave me a panicked look.

“Because I’m amazing and I work for you and Gabe happens to be around all the time. I’m also pretty good with Sisky and Butcher’s language too.” I stated spinning around on my toes and heading back up the stairs. “And you’re still in trouble.” I called back to him. I heard a soft ‘crap’ from Pete and snickering from Anthony.

Tossing my book into my bag I hid it in a black sweater so Pete wouldn’t be able to find it later. It was my own personal one, and I didn’t need his nosey butt flipping through it.

As soon as I entered the living room again Pete pulled me down next to him, his arm slung over my shoulder as he gave me that all too perfect smile, the one he gave the board members of Clandestine Industries.

“Don’t smile at me like that, I might get hepatitis or something.” I grumbled pushing him away from me. He didn’t stop smiling. “What are you smiling about?” I snapped at him, completely and utterly confused.

“You’re going to the ball.” He stated. A frown etched its way onto my face as I glared at him. “Before you say it, yes you are. Because I say so.”

“How are you going to make me?” I challenged smiling up at him. He smiled back at me, batting his lashes this time. I frowned, still glaring at him completely and utterly annoyed.

“Because you’re working that day.” I froze on the spot.

“Are you going to admit to Andy that you can’t go a week with out me?” I asked lightly smirking up at him. Never once did his smile fall. “You didn’t.” I hissed at him, he nodded slowly.

“Yes, Yes I did. That my friend is the only day you work this week or all of next week because Andy loves me.” Pete muttered proudly, patting me on the head.

“You seriously talked Andy into making it almost two weeks just so I’d have to work that day?” He nodded tugging on his shirt lightly, as if saying he was ‘pimpin’ with his amazing idea.

“You are such an idiot.” I muttered softly standing up and moving to the kitchen. “I’m seriously, not working that day. I’m not going.”

“Yes you are.” Pete called to me. Rolling my eyes I opened the fridge looking through it. “I’ll force you.” Turning to him I closed the door and faced him. My arms crossed over my chest. “I’ve already called Hayley, Vicky T, and Crystal.” My mouth dropped open. “You’re worst enemies in this moment and your best friends on many others.”

“I hate you.” I whispered,

“Peeshaw.” He muttered softly waving a hand at me. “You love me, and you’ll be glad I called them.” I raised a brow at him lightly, my lips pursed into a frown as I crossed my arms over my chest more tightly. “You would have regretted sitting at home all day long. Hayley and Crystal are even going to get Jack all dressed up so he can come and meet everyone.”

“No, Jack stay’s here with your mother that day and I’ll go.” He rolled his eyes at me. “I’m not subjecting him to Gabe, Sisky, Butcher, Ryland, or half the other people we know. That will just corrupt and destroy him, he’s only four.” I stated.

“The guys love little kids, they won’t destroy him.” Pete sighed lightly waving a hand at me as he leaned against the other one.

“Have you met you’re friends? I mean,” I paused licking my lips. “Dear god Pete, its bad enough he’s around you.” I stated throwing my arms up and slapping them back against my thighs. “You’re a bad influence.” I stated at his shocked and horrified face.

“Touché, but that’s mean to exile everyone else and you’re stuck with me.” He stated. I walked over to Pete slowly. I smiled at him as I leaned on the table near him. “You are.” He sang softly to me. Smiling I batted my lashes at him.

“You know what?” I asked softly in a coy tone.

“What?” Pete asked mimicking me in tone and smile, along with the batting of his lashes.

“Bite me.” I barked grabbing his head and slamming it into the table.

“Mother--!” Pete yelled stopping himself from saying the other word.

“Jack doesn’t come.” I hissed at him before leaving the room.

“That was totally uncalled for!” He yelled at me from in the kitchen.