The Tick Tock of the Clock

...Do things?

My eyes danced over Patrick’s house as I pulled up along the curb outside it. The curtain shifted, Jack clearly stood in the window bouncing up and down.

“Oh wow, he did kill Pat.” Pete laughed, pointing at Pat lying face down on his couch. Snorting I got out of the car and moved up the lawn. Pete beat me to the door and stormed in, picking Jack up and throwing himself on Pat roughly.

“Get off!” Pete yelled as I watched Jack make grabby hands at me and struggle against his arms. Wandering over I scooped him up and let Pete and Pat struggle and fight on the couch. “Get your fat ass of me before I shove my foot up it.” Pat yelled.

“Well that’s pleasant imagery.” I mused softly as Jack clung to me tightly. My hand ran up and down his back as he seemed to whimper. “What baby?” I asked running a hand through his messy hair. He sniffled and looked up at me with blotchy red eyes. “Did you make him cry?” I accused, glaring at Pat as Pete tumbled to the floor with a loud thud.

“No.” Pat stated as he stood up. “You did.” He stated as if it were the most obvious thing. “For about two hours or so he was happy, colored, played, destroyed my plants, but all around happy.” Pat mused, hands fold in front of him as he stared at me. “Then began the screaming and the crying and the ‘mommy left me’ and then…” He trailed off as I lifted a hand. “Yes, he spoke.” My mouth dropped open as I looked down at him. “And he wouldn’t listen to me that you hadn’t left him, so I got my hair pulled and my shins kicked as he freaked out and cried, and that’s when I called you. The second he heard your voice he was happy and began laughing and yelled ‘mommy’. Then I told him you were coming to get him and he shut up, hasn’t said a word since, just stood in the window watching and waiting.” My hand ran through Jack’s hair as he snuggled closely to my side and chest. A small frown found its way onto my lips. I wanted to hear him talk.

“Well, maybe with that,” I looked at Pete, he shifted his weight and ran a hand through his hair, eyes cast on the ground. It was rather hot. Instantly my eyes dropped back to Jack to avoid the thought. “We know he can talk, because he has. And with that said, maybe he’ll feel the need to talk more.” I nodded slowly.

“With that said I’m never babysitting that monster again for more than an hour. An hour I can handle, my plants can’t, but I can. More than that, find another sucker to do the job.” Pat gasped, waving his arms back and forth to make his point.

“Well then how are we suppose to…” Pete trailed, off frozen. “Do things.” He finished lamely.

“Wow, that was a bad lie.” Pat clicked his tongue. “Care to tell me what you were really going to say?” He asked carefully.

“No.” Pete shot quickly. “Bye.” He crossed the room and hurried out the front door. Turning I glanced at Pat.

“You wanna tell me?” Pat asked.

“Hey, I wanna know just as much as you do. The second I find out what these ‘things’” I did one handed air quotes around the word. “are, I’ll let you know.” I mused. “I hope he knows I have the keys.” I stated watching Pete through the window as he moved to the SUV and pulled on the door handle.

“Probably not, and I’m holding you to that, despite the fact I think your lying.” Pat breathed as he watched Pete dig through his pockets for the car keys.

“ELLA!” Rolling my eyes I waved good-bye to Pat as Jack did.

“Sorry about your plants.” I mused, only getting a soft hum in response. “What?” I gasped as Pete as he pouted at me. “You know that doesn’t work.” Groaning he crossed his arms over his chest while I pulled the keys out of my pocket and unlocked the doors. “Get in.” I stated. Rolling his eyes Pete held his hand out for the keys. Laughing I passed him and put Jack in the back seat.

“Give me the keys woman.” Stopping I turned to him with raised brows and pursed lips. “Please?” He asked softly.

“After that,” I closed the door and shook my head. “Hell no. Now get in the damn car.”

“Yes ma’am.” He grumbled climbing into the passenger seat.

Starting the car I sighed and looked back at Jack playing with his full bottom lip. I wanted him to say something.