Status: This is not going to be completed unless I get some inspiration to re-write it.

Lab Rat

House

It didn't take long to find the last shifter. He was only a few doors down. However, he was very drugged and couldn't focus on anything Jonny or the others were saying to him. The shifter lay there, trying to keep his head up and figure out what was going on. Who were these people? Why were they here? He struggled to keep his eyes open.

Jonny sighed, giving up trying to get the wolf to shift. Instead, he pulled him from the cage and picked him up.

"Let's go. Hurry," he said.

They ran through the building, Jonny leading them. They took the stairs instead of the elevator, so they wouldn't get caught as they tried to leave the shaft. When they reached the main level, Jonny used his key card to open the door. Jonny noticed the main floor security wasn't at their post, so they quickly left through the front doors. Jonny, the four shifters, and the wolf all piled into his car.

He drove even after the sky turned black and stars started to illuminate the sky. The girl kept him awake by talking with him. He learned that her name was Clarissa, and she told him the others were Alyssa, Ryan, and Mariah. Clarissa was the youngest of the four. Jonny listened as she spoke. She told him about how she "came to be" at the lab, when she stopped fighting the tests, how she never stopped hoping to get out, etc. Jonny let her talk and get it out of her system. She was going to be safe. They all were. He was going to make sure of it.

When he was too tired to continue driving, they were in a different state. Feeling it may be safe to sleep for a little while, Jonny stopped at a motel and paid for a room. When everyone was situated in the room, Jonny focused on the sleeping wolf at the foot of the bed. The drugs were starting to wear off, and he was twitching. When his eyes opened, Jonny tried to get him to shift. Jonny could see the wolf try to listen, but whine and cry loudly as the bones started to pop and move. He knew the shifter was in a lot of pain, and Clarissa immediately spoke up.

"He might be too weak to shift, Jonny. Tell him to stop."

Jonny got him to stop, and the wolf huffed. He was very tired, Jonny could tell now. Ryan pet the wolf's fur reassuringly. He said, "It's ok. We got out. Sleep."

The wolf closed his eyes.

---------

Jonny dug his credit card out of his pocket and put it into the ATM. He took out the remaining money from his bank account, and he snapped his card in half (which isn't too hard for a shifter). He sighed, this is it. Jonny tossed his card in the trash as he walked back to his car.

He drove to the small house he decided to rent. The owner of the house, Louise, was sitting in her car in the driveway. She was an older woman with a soft spot for those in need, always wanting to help. When he pulled up beside her, she got out of her car. Jonny got out of his and caught up with her in front of the house. She handed him the keys.

"I have the deposit. I'm still looking for a job, but I'm trying."

He gave her the money, all cash.

"Oh, Jonathon, you don't have to worry. You have two months. I didn't ask for a deposit, but since you have it, and quite frankly it is more than I was going to even ask before I found out you really needed the house, I'll just put that towards your rent for the first two months. Focus on getting a job. Focus on your sweet beta. He's quite handsome."

She's talking about Elroy. He finally shifted a week ago, and he told us to call him Elie because he hated being called Elroy. Naturally, though, we all call him Elroy (mostly because none of us know him well enough to feel comfortable calling him Elie). Jonny didn't realize when Elroy and he came to get the house, Louise thought they were mated. Jonny didn't want to correct her though.

"Thank you, Louise. I really appreciate all your help."

She smiled and told him to call if he or Elroy ever needed anything, and she left. Jonny pulled out his prepaid phone and called Clarissa.

"How'd it go, Jonny?"

"Good. You and Elroy need to get ready. I'll be there shortly."

Clarissa laughed, "He's been very nervous. He really likes that house, you know."

"Well, we have it, so he doesn't have to be nervous anymore."

They ended the call, and Jonny drove to the newest motel to pick up Clarissa and Elroy. Ryan and Mariah ran off together, after thanking Jonny. They were probably mated by now.

Clarissa and Elroy climbed into the car; Elroy in the front and Clarissa in the back. Elroy can't sit still. His leg is shaking, and he's trying to focus on looking out the window. He's still so nervous, and Jonny can understand. They're going to have a house, a home.

When they arrived, all together this time, Jonny watched Clarissa and Elroy's expressions. He felt proud to be able to provide for his small pack, proud his pack was happy to have somewhere to live.

He unlocked the front door and watched as Clarissa explored the small house. He watched her run to the rooms to find which one she wanted as her own. He heard her tell Elroy one room was his ("This one is yours, Elroy. It has a big window to let a lot of light in!"), and he gave a small smile and move towards the one to which she was referring.

Jonny couldn't tell if Elroy was pleased or not. Elroy was very interesting. Clarissa had first said that he really wanted to escape, but Jonny believed that the lab broke him. Elroy was very nervous and quiet. He liked being around others, but didn't like interacting with them. He was very skittish, and he didn't like when others made any fast or unexpected hand gestures. He had nightmares where he'd wake up screaming or crying. Now, Clarissa had nightmares too, but they didn't seem as bad as Elroy's. Jonny and Clarissa both wished they could help, and sometimes they try. Elroy just wouldn't have it. He didn't like feeling vulnerable, especially around others. Elroy was very different when it came to expressing himself. He seemed to have a hard time finding the right words.

Jonny flipped through the job section in the newspaper he picked up earlier, circling ones he thought he might have the experience. Elroy slowly made his way to the living room and stood beside Jonny. He didn't say anything, just watched.

When Jonny was done going through the list of local jobs, he pulled out his phone. He looked at Elroy first, as if asking if he'd mind that Jonny was going to make a few calls. Realizing everything was ok, he started dialing the numbers. He asked about applications, whether or not they were still hiring, and which hours would be best for him to work (since his schedule was pretty much completely open).

Clarissa came over and started to quietly talk with Elroy about the house and how she thought it was so lovely. He didn't say much, never really did, but he did express that he liked it. That's what mattered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the subscribing!

I wrote part of this on my phone. If I missed any spelling/grammatical errors, please let me know and I'll fix it.