Heroes Exist (I'm Just Not One of Them)

THREE

You know they gave me a goddamn medal, right?

Yeah.

It’s a motherfucking bald eagle encircled with a wreath of gold leaves. Got a blue and white striped ribbon. Whole thing’s gaudy as fuck.

I was still stuck in the damn hospital when Benni dropped the bo—broke the news.

Idiot couldn’t understand why I wasn’t thrilled.

“They’re rewarding you for your bravery!”

My ass.

I only laughed in response.

The Presidential Citizens award.

Apparently they’ll give it out to anyone, even monsters who leave children to die.

Whole thing was a steaming crock of shit.

Still.

Had to stay still while the president pinned a medal I don’t deserve to my chest. Don’t think the secret service would have taken kindly to me punching out America’s darling president.

...

Hey, have you ever tried wearing a suit while stuck in a cast? It's no fun, so I don’t suggest trying it. The rental tux was ruined.

But yeah, the ceremony was just hours of listening to some politician ramble on about valor, honor, role models and what a great human being I am – and I knew even then that it was a load of bull. Behind every word, every “American citizens all across the country are thankful for what you’ve done here”, was a sour aftertaste, a barely hidden condemnation.

Really wish they’d stop that.

Feels like I’m slowly being drained, waves of weakness rolling over me. I feel like I’m bleeding out, and the whole world watches with bated breath and places their bets.

Personally my bets are on imminent self-destruction

I wonder why they didn’t bother waiting until I was released from the hospital, why they made me stand under hot lights in a rental tuxedo, bandaged and stuck in a cast and relying too heavily on Neil just to walk up on stage... I don’t know.