Status: just have to post

Forever Changed

Chapter 006

It was a few weeks later that Niklas was on the plane going from Tampa Bay to Detroit. This road trip saw four wins and one loss. He couldn’t wait to get back to Detroit where he could see Alana. They had talked quite a few times and before every game, she wished him luck. It made his heart warm when she wished him luck, and it had worked in four of the five games they’d played.

“Kronner, what are you thinking about”, Hank asked, pulling Niklas from his thoughts.

“Alana”, Niklas replied, making Hank smile.

“You really love her, don’t you?” Niklas smiled and ran his hand through his hair.

“Yes, I do. She’s just a sweet, adorable little girl. It’s hard not to love her… or any child for that matter.” Hank chuckled.

“Yeah, she is. She’ll weave her way into anyone’s heart if she was given the chance.” It was a few hours later that Niklas and Hank were walking through the airport. Suddenly, his phone rang. He answered it.

“Hello?”

“Nik, where are you?” It was Carol and she sounded full of panic.

“We just landed. We’re walking through the airport right now. Why, what’s going on?” Niklas was nervous at Carol’s tone.

“It’s Alana. She was sitting in front of the T.V talking about you when she suddenly threw-up and got a pretty high fever. We’re at the hospital right now.” Panic and worry instantly shot through Niklas’s body.

“What hospital?”

“Henry Ford Children’s Hospital. Please come.”

“On our way. Be strong.” He hung up and felt his hands starting to shake.

“Nik, what’s wrong”, Hank asked. Niklas swallowed and tried to stop the tears that were gathering in his eyes.

“It’s Alana. She threw-up and has a super high fever. They’re at the Henry Ford Children’s Hospital. We gonna get there stat”. The two hockey players shot through the airport to Hank’s car. “Please Alana, be okay”, was the only thing Niklas could whisper on the way to the hospital. They were there in less than ten minutes and Niklas raced up to the lobby. Carol, Tyler and a few of their family members were sitting in those plastic blue chairs. “Is Alana okay”, Niklas asked. Carol looked up.

“As far as we know. I think it was just from her chemo but I’m not sure.” Minutes later, Dr. Howard-who was Alana’s doctor-entered the room.

“Carol, Tyler”, he said. Their heads shot up.

“She is okay. It was just from her chemo. But that was some quick thinking, getting her here.” Tyler breathed a sigh of relief and Carol had tears fill her eyes. A few minutes later, Carol and Tyler were leading Niklas into Alana’s room. Alana was lying down in her bed, an IV in her arm. She looked like she was sleeping.

“Lannie, wake up”, Carol said. The girl’s eyes popped open and she pushed herself up. She looked no worse for wear from her fever, besides that fact that she was pale.

“How are you feeling, sweetie”, Tyler asked.

“I’m tired but not sore. Did Nicky get home?”

“I’m right here, Lannie.” Alana’s eyes widened but seconds later she was smiling.

“NICKY”, she said. Niklas laughed and went to her side.

“Hi, baby girl. You gave me quite a scare”, he said, taking her hand and rubbing it between his. Alana’s eyes filled with tears.

“Sorry, Nicky.” Niklas frowned.

“Why are you sorry and why are you crying? It’s not your fault that you have those things happen to you.” Alana smiled and wiped her tears away.

“I needed that, Nicky”, she said. Niklas kissed her hand before rubbing his thumb across the back of it.

“You know I’ll do anything for you, Lannie”, he said.

Two days later, Niklas, with permission from her parents, took Alana for a visit in the locker room. He’d made sure the night before to put Danielle Bradbery songs on his IPod, as he learned from Carol that she was becoming Alana’s new favorite singer.

“You love me, Nicky”, Alana asked as Niklas stopped outside the locker room door. The Swedish defenceman turned to look at her.

“Of course I do, Lannie. I love you a lot… like a little sister. You’re like my little sister. That’s why I do the stuff I do for you.” Alana was quiet for a minute or so before she glanced up at her friend.

“Can I tell you something, Nicky”, she asked, biting her lip. Niklas knelt in front of her.

“You can tell me anything, Lannie”, he reminded her. She placed both of her little hands in his.

“I love you like a brother. You’re like the big brother I never had. And… thank you for the things you’re doing for me.” She threw her arms around his neck and snuggled her head in his shoulder. Niklas felt tears in his eyes as he held her close to him. He had always known how precious Alana was, but now he decided that among all his “kid friends” she was the most precious of all. He started rubbing her back and felt her relax into him. “Nicky?” Niklas pulled away and looked into Alana’s face, her green eyes filled with tears. “Nicky, if… if I leave, will you forget me”, she asked.

“Lannie, of course I won’t forget you. How could I never forget someone like you? But what’s making you say things like this?” Alana glanced down at the ground, her hands shaking. Niklas placed a hand on her cheek and made her look at him.

“Lannie, please answer me.” Alana took a deep breath.

“There was a doctor, not Dr. Howard, who came into my room yesterday. I’m not sure why he was in my room, but I could hear him talking to my parents. He… he said ‘Why are you bothering to take her here? She’s not going to live much longer.’ Then he laughed in a really mean way… a hurtful way. Daddy yelled at him and mommy sent him away, but it’s still bothering me. I’m-I’m scared”, she replied before she burst into tears. Niklas pulled her into another hug and rubbed her back gently, soothing her, but in his head he was upset. What kind of doctor would say that, especially in front of a child? That doctor was going to pay… and he’d make it happen in any way he could. Alana was calm by this time and Niklas picked her up and placed her on his hip.

“Let’s go see the guys, Lannie”, she said. Alana smiled excitedly and Niklas could feel himself smiling as well. This girl could always make him smile, no matter what. Hank looked up at the two came in.

“Hi, Kronner. Hi, Lannie.” Alana smiled and waved at Hank.

“Hi, Zetta”, she said, using the nick name Hank had in Sweden. Niklas took her over to his locker and set her gently down on the stool. He handed her his IPod and set his bag on the floor. It felt like only seconds later that Alana pulled on his sleeve.

“You put Danielle on your IPod”, she said, smiling. Niklas laughed and kissed her cheek.

“Of course I did, Lannie. You like her so it naturally goes on there”, he said. Alana smiled and selected her favorite DB song, My Day. Niklas hesitated for a minute to play Danielle, but when Hank shouted that it didn’t matter what played as long as Alana liked it, he plugged in the IPod. Almost instantly, Alana started singing.

“Like a locus flower growing in the dirt, Ain’t nobody ever noticed what it’s worth. till the sun shines and the rain falls And in no time at all it’s beautiful”. The boys in the locker room smiled to see her sing along to the song. For some of them, it wasn’t quite their type of music, but as long as a certain little girl that was precious to them was happy, then let the music play. Alana looked up at Niklas as she continued to sing what, for her, were very inspirational words. “This is my day, this is my day! Oh, won’t let it slip away. Oh, I’m waiting for these changes to say: This is my day”. Niklas smiled at the young girl as the words of this great song poured out from the speakers.

“This is definatly your day, Lannie. Every day is your day”, he whispered.