Status: just have to post

Forever Changed

Chapter 008

It had been a long summer for Niklas and Alana. Niklas had gone back home to Sweden and Alana had missed him badly. They called and Skyped each other, but Alana just wanted him back. Her summer had been hard, what with chemo and having a few scares, but she’d gotten through it quite easily. Right now, she was waiting in her parents’ car at the airport for him to arrive.

“He’s gonna be here soon! I can’t believe it”, she said, bouncing excitedly in her seat. Tyler turned around in the driver’s seat to face his daughter.

“You really missed him, didn’t you baby”, he asked. Alana nodded.

“Yes, I did. I missed him terribly. His family is pretty important to him, so the ache wasn’t as bad”. Carol could only shake her head, still amazed how much older Alana could sound sometimes. Alana rested her cheek in her hand and looked out the window at the sun-covered ground. Michigan at this time of year-well, actually, any time of year-was beautiful. Alana’s second favorite season was summer (her first was winter). The blue sky, the sunshine, the warmth, just everything about summer made Alana love it.

“Alana”. The young girl looked up at her father, who was smiling.

“Nicky’s here”. A squeal came from Alana’s lips and her eyes lit up.

“Alright, princess, we’re going”, Carol said. Minutes later, Alana was throwing herself into Niklas’s arms.

“You’re here!! You’re really here”, Alana yelled. Niklas smiled and gently tossed her into the air before catching her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shoulder. “I missed you, Nicky”, she said. Niklas laughed and hugged her tightly.

“I missed you too, princess”, he said. He turned to hug Carol and gave Tyler a high-five.

“We’re glad you’re back, Nik”, Carol said. Niklas smiled.

“I’m glad to be back. I missed you guys”. Alana popped her head from his shoulder and looked up at him.

“What’s Sweden like”, she asked. Niklas readjusted her onto his lip and picked up his suitcase.

“It’s beautiful, Lannie. It’s colder than Michigan in the winter and it’s nice in the summer.” Alana smiled.

“It sounds like Michigan”.

“It is like Michigan, just colder”. Niklas placed Alana on the ground and knelt next to her.

“I got something for you from Sweden”, he said. Reaching into his suitcase, he pulled out a yellow and blue hat with the Swedish flag on the brim. Alana took it from him and stared at it for a minute or so before looking back up at Niklas.

“So I’m Swedish now”, she asked. Carol and Tyler laughed and Niklas put the hat on Alana.

“Yeah, you are now. You’re my Swedish American princess”. Alana flung her arms around his neck and rested her head against his shoulder.

“I love you, Nicky”. Niklas wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her tightly.

“I love you too, princess”.

Niklas plopped into one of the straight-back chair in coach’s office, the idea in his head growing. He almost cried thinking about it, but he knew that he wanted to do this for Alana. Coach came in and sat down his chair.

“Okay, Nik, what is this idea that you have.” Niklas sat up straight in his chair.

“Well, coach, it’s for Alana. I was thinking we could have something before one of our game to honor her…” He went on to explain his idea of having Danielle Bradbery come to one of their home games and sing before the game. “It would be like a ceremony for her. Since everyone in the locker room says that she was our inspiration to win the cup this year.” Coach smiled.

“A great idea, Nik. But how do you know Danielle will be available?”

“I’ll call her-I can find her number online- and ask her. And I was thinking that we could do this after our home-opener game. I know that the next game is at home”. They talked for a few more minutes, which included making Alana her own jersey, before they shook hands and Niklas left. He went back into the locker room and Hank smiled when he saw him.

“So, how did it go”, he asked. Niklas grinned.

“We’re gonna do it the game after our home-opener”. Hank got up, walked over to him and smacked his shoulder.

“That’s great, Kronner! Just make sure she doesn’t find out”, he said happily. Just then, the locker room door opened and Alana ran in. Niklas turned around and smiled as the young girl ran up to him.

“Hi, Lannie”, he said as he swung the girl up into his arms. Alana wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her chin on his shoulder.

“What were you guys talking about when I came in”, she asked. Niklas grinned and sent Hank a wink.

“You. What else would we be talking about”, he replied.

“Hockey.” Hank laughed and Niklas just rolled his eyes.

“Alright, smarty pants”, he said, making Alana giggle.

“But it’s true, Nicky! You do talk about hockey a lot”, she said, looking at her friend. The pouty face she was making made Niklas smile.

“I know, Lannie. I was just messing with you”, he said. Alana smiled and placed her chin back on Niklas’s shoulder, her arms wrapped around his neck.

“You’re the best, Nicky”, she whispered. Niklas tightened his arms around her and smiled when she relaxed against him.

“Thank you, princess”, he said. He loved holding her in his arms, the weight of her little arms around his neck and the way she rested her head on his shoulder. Not only did it (according to her) make her feel secure, but it made him feel like her protector.

“Nicky, can you play a song for me?” Her head came off his shoulder and she looked up at him.

“Sure, baby girl. What is it?”

“40 by U2”. He carried her over to his locker and sat down with her in his lap.

“Let me see if I have it”, he said, getting his IPod from his pocket. Alana smiled and leaned back against Niklas’s chest, watching him look over the songs he had. “Yep, I’ve got it.” Hank took the IPod from his friend’s hand and plugged it into the speakers.

“This is one of my favorite U2 songs”, Alana said. Niklas looked down at her.

“Why?”

“Just listen and you’ll know”. Niklas smiled and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close to him. The words came over the speakers like a soft melody. These were words that sent shivers up Niklas’s spin, especially when Alana started singing the chorus.

I will sing, sing a new song. I will sing, sing a new song.” Niklas couldn’t stop the tears from spilling down his cheeks and he swallowed hard. He watched Alana as she sang those beautiful words and realized that she was smiling. “Just listen and you’ll know”, she had said. Well, he knew now why this song was her favorite. He started singing those words with his friend. “How long to sing this song? How long to sing this song? How long? How long? How long to sing this song?” Eventually, everyone in the locker room was singing the song. Alana was sitting up on Niklas’s knee, her hands covering his knee cap, her green eyes shining as she sang along. The sight of that sweet little girl singing a moving song brought tears to almost everyone’s eyes. Most of them had to stop singing as their emotions overwhelmed them. For some of the players, this sudden wave of emotion made them realize just how much Alana meant to them. They knew she was the inspiration behind winning the cup, but they didn’t realize how deep in their heart she was.

“Alana”, Hank said when the song was over. The girl looked over at her friend, who was wiping the tears from his eyes.

“Yeah, Zetta?” Hank held his arms out to her and Alana came running into them. He picked her up and held her tightly in his arms, a few tears still escaping his eyes. “Why are you crying, Zetta”, she asked. Hank smiled.

“Just because you mean a lot to me”. Alana didn’t say a word in reply; she simply tightened her arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder. Hank felt his sadness leaving him and slowly relaxed.

“Hank?” Alana had pushed her head off his shoulder and was looking into his eyes.

“Yes, Lannie?” The girl traced over the letters on his sweatshirt, smiling.

“I love you”. Hank smiled and bounced her in his arms.

“Love you too, Lannie.” Alana smiled and looked over her shoulder at Niklas, who held his arms out to her. Hank put her down and Alana ran back into Niklas’s arms. Her head snuggled into his shirt as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Hi, Nicky”. Niklas smiled and rubbed her back.

“Hi, baby girl.” He felt lips on his cheek and realized Alana was giving him a kiss.

“Thank you, Lannie”. Alana looked up at him, her green eyes shining.

“You’re welcome, Nicky”, she said that a smile that warmed Niklas’s heart. Just then, Alana’s favorite U2 song, A Day Without Me, came on.

“Yes! I love this song”, she yelled, getting up from Niklas’s arms. Everyone in the locker room smiled as Alana started playing air guitar along with the song. She jumped around to the beat of the song, her favorite part being the chorus. When the song was over, Niklas scooped her up into his arms.

“Aright, that’s enough. You’re gonna tire yourself out”. Alana smiled.

“I love you, Nicky”.

“I love you too, baby girl.”