Status: Completed

Protect Me

Chapter Two

"What's for lunch," Alan asks Kellin as they enter the cafeteria. "I'm not sure. I think it's burgers." They get in line and as they get closer to the food, they see Kellin was right. There were burgers. Alan loved food, if he could, he'd marry it. Who needs love when food is always there for you, am I right? He gets his tray, asking for a burger with a smile to the lunch ladies who smiled back in return. See, they're nice. I don't get why everyone says they're witches.

He and Kellin walk to their table in the back of the cafeteria and begin eating. "So, what do you think of John not bothering us at all?"

"I honestly don't know. Do you think it has anything to do with yesterday, Kells?"

"Not - " but he gets cut off when someone sits beside each of them. Alan turns to look at who the person was and sees it was the guy from the cafeteria yesterday. He swallows nervously, but gives the person a confused, "Hello?"

"How much does the polar bear weigh?"

"What?"

"Enough to break the ice." But Alan just stared blankly. "I'm just kidding. Hey, princess," he replies, coolly, taking a sip from his Monster. Alan's confused stare intensifies. "My name's Alan."

"Alan? Hmmm, nah, I prefer princess. Ginger princess." And there wasn't any teasing behind it, the boy - no, man - was serious about calling Alan princess, it wasn't an insult. "Well, alright. May I know your name?"

"Austin. Austin Carlile. Might want to remember that for when I have you screaming my name." Alan begins blushing and stuttering, trying to tell him that won't happen. "What? I - I don't - No - I just... I'm sorry?"

"Aw, princess, are you still a virgin?"

"I-I don't see how that is any of your business."

"I'd like to know whether my future boyfriend is a virgin or not."

"Fu-Future boyfriend?!"

"Yes, princess. Speaking of - what's the deal with you and Big Eyes?" Austin asks, nodding his head at Kellin. Alan was surprised to a jealous tone in his voice.

"He's my best friend. Has been since I was five."

Austin's glare stops and he smirks, "Perfect. Ever had boyfriend before, princess?"

"... No."

"Ever been kissed?"

"... Not on the lips."

"So you're virgin, then?"

"... Yes, but I fail to see what that has to do with anything."

"Because, princess," Austin says as he leans in into Alan's neck. He stops at his ear and whispers, "I'm going to take every ounce of innocence you have. I promise," he purrs and Alan flushes a deep shade of red. He scoots away from Austin and into Kellin who apparently had done the same. "Don't be scared, princess. I promise I won't hurt you when it happens... much." Alan gets up hurriedly.

"Well, it was... an experience meeting you, but I just remembered I have to ask my teacher a question. Bye, Austin and his friend." Then he dumps his trash and runs out of the cafeteria. That was strange... was that flirting? No, it couldn't possibly be. Nobody has ever liked me like that. He shakes the thoughts away and waits for Kellin to aplear since they never go anywhere without each other.

But not a moment too soon, Kellin arrives. They hold hands and walk together to class. On the way there, Alan can't help but feel someone glare at their intertwined hands.

They take their usual seats. And everyone starts entering and taking their seats. "Okay, class. Today, we will be starting a project." The class begins chatting and getting hyped. Art projects were always the best since they were always the most deep. "Now, now, before you start getting excited, let me finish. The project will be due at the end of the semester, but only because of how much of you will have to be in it.

You will draw me something that represents you. How you feel, what makes you happy, why, when it started, what inspired you. And you will have to describe it to me. It can be in any form of art because I know not all of you use the same techniques or have the same abilities. But you will have to present it and we will have little projects here and there. I will give some class times to work on it every once and a while, but it will mostly be a home project. Any questions?" No one raised their hand.

"Alright, this is the only full class you'll have to come up with ideas. You may begin." Alan and Kellin turn to face each other. "Any ideas?"

"No. I may draw a cat. I really do love cats. But I want it to be deeper, with more meaning."

"I get it, but I have no ideas either." Alan sets his lips in a thin line, thinking. Hmmm. But he couldn't come up with anything. He and Kellin spend the rest of class trying to come up with something. And at the end, Mr. Way calls him back.

"Yes, sir?"

"I saw you were having trouble coming up with an idea."

"Yes, sir. I want my project to actually have some value. And it's a lot harder than I thought it'd be."

"It's supposed to be. If someone has no trouble coming up with an idea, it's not coming from the heart. If you just throw something together, there's no reason for you to even try. How I see it, if you don't enjoy what you're doing, then you shouldn't be doing it. That's why I gave until the end of the semester, so you guys have time to think. Now go on and head to your next class." Alan smiles and walks out, saying a small goodbye and heads to his next class with Kellin who had waited for him.

The next class wasn't uneventful. They just talked about grammar and Alan was almost asleep. Don't get him wrong, Mr. Dawson was great, but grammar is so boring to learn and Mr. Dawson himself even admitted to it being boring to teach as well. But finally, his suffering was over and it was time to go home. Him and Kellin walk out, holding hands and begin walking towards the front of the school.

"Hey, princess," Alan hears someone call. He turns around and sees Austin walking towards them. Alan speaks when Austin is standing in front of them. "Listen, it was nice meeting you, but I would appreciate if you left me alone, please," he says in that kind tone that he has. And turns away, beginning to walk again.

"Aw, princess, that's no way to talk to the person that saved you from getting beat up yesterday." And Alan tenses up, he turns back to face Austin, his eyes widen in shock. "That was you?"

"Yes. And I thought you said Big Eyes isn't your boyfriend." Alan frowns at his harsh tone.

"He isn't."

"Then why are you holding hands," Austin snaps. And something in Alan did too. Who was Austin to judge what Alan did with his life? He didn't Alan's motives, nor why he does what he does. And he was sure as hell about to let him know that.

"Because when you get beat up for no apparent reason except that people don't like you for your sexuality. When all you feel is pain and unwanted. When you just need a hug. When no one stands up for you and you're all alone, you need all the comfort you can get! And that's what Kellin and I get from holding hands - comfort!" By then, Austin's stance softened and he reaches out to pull Alan into a hug.

"I'm sorry, princess. But I want you to know that you're not alone, you're with me. You're not alone anymore." Alan sighs and pulls back. "Thank you."

"One more thing, princess."

"Yes?"

"How do you feel about going out with me on Friday?"

"Sure?"

"Great. You me at six."