‹ Prequel: Wildflower

Dandelion

Thanks for the memories, even though they weren't so great

September 9, 2014


"Iced chai tea and pumpkin bread for Baylor!"

Silas whizzed by me with two drinks in hand, talking into his headset. "So that's two venti caramel frappes, one with no whip and the other with extra caramel and extra chocolate drizzle?"

I took the two drinks he handed me and called out the names, before greeting the people who came in the door. "Welcome to Java!"

Sadie was sitting at the bar, behind the counter of course, playing on her iPad. I got called in today since we were short handed and I needed the money. So I told Sadie that if she was good, I'd take her shopping tomorrow. She immediately agreed. Every now and then she'd greet customers when I was busy. She was actually a big help.

"I'll be right with you, sir!" Silas hurried over and handed me the headset before going to the register to take the mans order. The thick accent peaked my interest. I nonchalantly glanced in the direction of the register and immediately looked away. Niall. Even with the hat and the glasses, I knew it was him. There was no denying that it as him. He may have fooled everyone in the small cafe, but I knew without a doubt that it was him. And as soon as I looked away, I knew Sadie was going to open her mouth.

"Lucky!" Shut. Up. Sadie.

"Sadie?" I could see her waving him over in the reflection of the framed picture above my head. He went over and pulled a chair over to the counter, sitting down and quietly chatting with her.

"Veve!"

"At the window!"

"Yeah! Veve's here! She works here!" Oh my fucking God, Sadie. No. Not right now. "Come here, Veve!"

I didn't turn around when I answered her. "I'm busy, Sadie. Now be quiet and don't cause a scene. I have a few hours left and then we can go home."

&&


"Hey Veve?"

"Yeah, Bug?" I shut the door to my car and made sure to lock them before I started it.

"How come you didn't say anything to Naill when he was at your work?" She asked. Oh dear god. Why is she asking me this now? "I was busy, Bug. I can't quit working to have a chat with someone," I replied.

"But he's not just someone," she replied. "He's your bestest friend!"

I sighed. "Not anymore, Sadie."

"How can you not be bestest friends with him anymore? He's Niall, for Petes sake!"

For the love of God, I'm going to scream. I'm not one for slapping a child, but right now I want to pop Sadie in her mouth and tell her to shut up. She doesn't know when to stop. I get that she's young and she's curious, but there's a point where asking question after question gets old and it gets old quick.

Sadie is a tiny version of me and she's my best friend. I would do just about anything for her and she knows it. I tell her everything and she tells me everything. But this whole situation is something I can't tell her. I can't tell her that Harry broke my heart. I can't tell her that I pushed everyone involved with him away. I can't tell her that the reason I moved to the opposite end of the country was because of him. I can't tell her that I'm not the same person I was before because of him. I can't tell her that he's the reason my heart was broken and won't be the same again. I can't tell her that everything is his fault.

"Drop it, Sadie," I spoke softly. "Let's get some Chinese takeout and go eat it on the roof and watch a movie. Sound good?"

She let out a loud, exasperated sigh. "Yeah. Wish Niall could come though."

Half an hour later, we were heading up the front steps of my apartment building. Sadie had her bag and my purse, while I carried our takeout bags. We made it to my floor in record time, seeing as the elevator was broken and we both got winded on the first flight of stairs. As soon as we turned the corner to head to my door, I took notice to a figure sitting on the floor right in front of my said door.

"God dammit, Sadie," I muttered. She looked up at me and narrowed her eyes. "I didn't tell him! Talk to your pansy friend, Silas! He caves like a dang Jenga tower! Also, swear jar!"

The blond, Irishman stood up at the sound of Sadie's shouting and gave me a tentative grin. I wanted to scream and throw all my food at him, but this was damn good Chinese takeout and I wasn't about to waste it on some 'bloke'.

"Hey V," he greeted.

My body tensed and my walls went up. "Is there a reason you're stalking me now? I can call the cops."

Sadie let out a gasp. "Veve! You can't call the PoPo on Niall!" I shrugged at her. "I'll call the cops on anyone I want. Get in the house and go wash up for dinner. Pick out s movie too." I unlocked the door and ushered her in. She tossed our bags on the couch and took off running toward the bathroom. I followed her in and set the Chinese takeout on the kitchen counter. I heard his Chuck Taylors padding across the hardwood floors of my apartment.

"This is a nice place, V," he spoke. I ignored him and started fixing mine and Sadie's plates. Sadie could be heard singing a Florida Georgia Line song as she got washed up and picked out a movie. I grinned. That was my doing. I may have moved halfway across the country, but I still tried to stay in contact with my family as often as possible. I would FaceTime Sadie for hours and we'd listen to music and watch movies and all that stuff.

"What do you want, Niall?" I questioned. "I don't have time to stand around and make small talk about my apartment."

He let out a sigh and ran his hand down his face. "I just wanted to see you. I wanted to see my best friend and I want to hug my best friend."

I felt my eyes sting with tears, but I kept them at bay. I can't let him see me cry. I can't let him see me weak. "I'm not your best friend anymore. I haven't been for quite some time."

Before he had the chance to reply, Sadie came skipping in the kitchen. "I picked out Mulan! Can Niall stay? Oh please, can he stay?"

I went to deny her request, but she knew if she pulled out her puppy dog eyes and that damn pouted lip of hers, that'd I'd cave. And that's just what she did. I agreed, but reluctantly. I pulled down another plate from the cabinet and put food on it.

"Forks are in first drawer to the left of the dishwasher. Grab three," I spoke to Sadie. "Can you grab us some bottled waters too?" She nodded and did as she was told. I motioned for Niall to grab two plates as I grabbed mine and headed for the stairs that led to the rooftop.

I sat down two of the plates on a table and opened my laptop, hitting the power button. "He misses you, ya know?"

Now was not the time nor the place to be bringing him up. I didn't want anything to do with him. I didn't want to be reminded of him. I didn't want him involved with my family anymore. But Niall being Niall, didn't get the hint that I didn't want to talk about it. He kept on it.

"He hasn't been the same." I kept quiet. "He wanted to come with me tonight." I kept quiet, but glared at him. "He needs to talk to you, V. He—"

"I made it!" Sadie announced, plopping down between us. She handed me a Target reusable bag that was filled with the movie, forks, and drinks. "Let's get this party started!" While she put in the movie and Niall started chowing down on his plate of food, I slipped my phone out of my front pocket and opened my messages.

You're dead to me, Silas Gene Hunter


He replied almost immediately.

Niall Horan asked for your address, girl. You need to get fucking laid, so I told him. Thank me later. Btw I won't tell anyone. It'll be our little secret.


I hate you.
♠ ♠ ♠
I fail at life.