Jealous

a man to give you a twirl

As Steve lead Helen in circles, she repeated Bucky’s instructions in her head. Step one, two, three, and turn, and now to the left… She snapped out of her concentration when the music stopped and she beamed across at Steve.

“We did it,” she breathed, hardly able to believe it herself.

“Your toes finally survived a dance with me,” Steve joked. They both turned and spotted Bucky near the edge of the dance floor sitting at the bar, then approached him.

“We know how to dance now!” Helen exclaimed and Bucky smiled at her briefly before he finished his drink. Steve and Helen’s smiles faded and they exchanged puzzled looks, sensing that Bucky wasn’t as pleased as he should be about the news.

“You know how to do one dance, and it’s quite simple. I want to show you two some more steps now,” Bucky said while slamming his whiskey glass down on the bar and standing, leading the pair towards a quieter corner of the establishment so they would have enough room. “So tell me, Helen, have you always wanted a man to give you a twirl as you dance with him?” Helen hesitated, initially reading too much into Bucky’s question but quickly realising that he was asking generally.

“Yeah, it seems like fun,” she replied with a shrug. Bucky offered his hand and she took it, being swept into his arms with every shred of confidence and ease Steve lacked. Bucky led her into a comfortable rhythm, sticking to the movements Helen was already familiar with and slowly altering them to teach her. After repeating the motions leading up to the spin to ensure that Helen was comfortable, Bucky decided to finally swing her out into a twirl. An uncontrollable squeak escaped Helen’s lips from the thrill and Bucky caught her in his arms, bringing her in closer as he halted her spinning. Helen’s free hand pressed against his chest and she laughed, feeling giddy. She blamed it on the dancing but deep down she had a feeling it was at least in part caused by Bucky’s charming grin.

Bucky broke them apart and gestured for Steve to have a try. The smaller man approached Helen hesitantly, well aware that he was not skilled enough to perform such moves or make Helen giggle in the way he had witnessed Bucky make endless women laugh. As he clumsily took a hold of Helen and sheepishly attempted to lead her around the dance floor and build up to the spin, Helen could feel her happiness draining away. The delight Bucky had given her just moments ago was being sapped by Steve’s poor coordination and lack of confidence. She didn’t feel special in Steve’s arms. Helen let her mind wander, barely noticing when Bucky criticised Steve’s movements.

“Hey there, sweetheart,” a man said to Helen’s right, grabbing her attention as he forced his way towards her. Steve broke away and stumbled a few steps backwards, leaving Helen alone to face the man. “You shouldn’t be dancin’ with somebody like him. Let me give you a spin out there.” Helen’s slightly shocked expression relaxed as she took in the man’s appearance. He had fluffy light brown hair, a rounded jawline that hadn’t been shaved for a couple of days, and dark eyes that emitted warmth. This was the reason why Helen had wanted to learn how to dance, so she could finally start socialising and find a partner.

“Actually, pal, we’re in the middle of something,” Bucky said as he strode to Helen’s rescue, his chest puffed with importance. The man gave an understanding smile and moved to back away.

“Oh, no, Bucky, it’s okay,” Helen stammered. Bucky’s eyebrows pinched with confusion before Helen turned to face the other man. “I’ll let you have one dance, but then I have to come back to my friends.”

“All right, sweetheart, no worries,” the man grinned while offering his arm out to Helen. She accepted and let him lead her away towards the middle of the dancing area. There, her new companion swept her in his strong arms with ease and lead her into a dance that she was fortunately familiar with, though the pace was a little faster than what she had been practicing. Once they found their rhythm together, the man started letting his eyes roam, and then his hands began to wander lower. What had begun as an innocent dance was quickly turning into a nightmare for Helen, and she couldn’t mask her exhale of relief when the song cut them short.

“I must be going, thank you for the dance,” she muttered, turning on her heel and storming away before he even had a chance to interrupt her. Helen slunk through the crowd and quickly found her two friends who had retired to the bar, Steve halfway through a beer and Bucky with his usual whiskey glass in hand.

“How was it?” Bucky asked, the first to notice her return. Helen gave a wordless response by snatching the glass from him and downing the rest of the drink in a couple of gulps. She regretted it moments later as her throat burned like never before, but at least it took her mind off the man’s travelling hands.

“A worse dance partner than me?” Steve asked. The corners of his lips were curled up ever so slightly, trying to make conversation with Helen but he was beginning to accept what he had wished from the start wouldn’t happen. He saw it as Helen gave a short chuckle in response to his words before diverting her attention back to Bucky.

“I don’t want to dance with anyone else ever again,” she replied. Steve sighed quietly and stared at his beer while Bucky made a light remark about wasting his time teaching her. Once again Steve had lost. His best friend had charmed another woman away from him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Brian Haner Jr for the comment! I hope everyone enjoys reading this one - let me know what you thought of the chapter!