‹ Prequel: Trespassing
Sequel: Wrecked
Status: This story is marked as a sequel, but you DON'T need to read Trespassing to understand it! It's about different characters.

Unmasked

Chapter 11

Valerie's POV

In a few minutes my name would get called out and I'd be climbing the wooden steps in front of me, I would stand on the improvised stage and take my diploma from our Principal. I'd have to smile at the sitting students, but… not just them. I would have to smile at my family. Subconsciously, I scrubbed my hands across my face wiping off some of my make-up.

My family—today—consisted of Dad, Maria and Jackson.

I felt dirty—violated. Which wasn't far from the truth. Last week, Jackson had caught me in a severely weak emotional state, I'd tried getting him to stop—to leave my bathroom, my bedroom, but nothing made him backup. He'd kissed me, taken me to bed and done things down below that my body thoughtfully enjoyed. But me—my brain—hadn't. I'd cried and he'd seen the tears running down my face, maybe he'd mistaken them for water trails from the shower? It was what I kept telling myself, because I couldn't stand the idea of having dated, done things so private, with someone so callous and selfish. I couldn't have been that wrong and blind about him, right?

Doing my best to hold firm, I convinced myself I could smile at the crowd even if my step-brother was there—watching. My eyes found somewhere new to land on as I waited in line. It was hard to tell anyone apart since we were all wearing dark blue gowns and square hats, but I caught wisps of blond hair curling from under one hat, paired with gray eyes that for some reason made me bite my lip. Quickly, I forced myself to look at Ava. She was sitting on Finn's right. My brain decided she was a safer choice to smile at. Ava waved the curled paper with a goofy grin. Some tension dropped off; in minutes, this would be over.

Goodbye high school. Hello College. I would be able to change myself—like Ms. Coleman kept saying I should, maybe—just maybe—I'd be able to take a step in that direction. I snapped to the front as my name got called out. Taking a mighty breath, I climbed the stairs, a genuine smile crowding my face. This was a big day and I sure as hell would enjoy it. Screw Jackson and his stupid obsession with me. This was my moment, no one would ruin it. As Principal Truman smiled handing over my diploma, I thought of Mom. I wished she could see this—I stopped the bubbling grief before the smile slipped too much.

My day, I chanted, no one will ruin it. Not even… God, not even Mom.

I climbed down on the other side of the stage, letting the remaining people get their diplomas. Not many people were left since my name was pretty much on the roll-call end. I moved towards my previous spot, beside Thomas. He'd been up there before me. Parents and family were sitting behind us. I twisted around, seeing Dad on the first row of chairs. He beamed a proud smile my way, making me blush. I turned to the front before Jackson could see it. Knowing him, he'd think I was blushing because he was there… I rolled my eyes. When the last person joined us, our Principal said a couple of words about how he hoped our futures were filled with success and dreams coming true. We were standing, waiting for him to finish so we could toss our hats in the air. Hopefully no one's eyes would get hurt once they fell. It happened as clapping came from behind us and from the administration and teachers sitting on the stage. We tossed our hats and soon enough, the class of 2014 disbanded into smaller groups. Some went straight for their families. Others were taking pictures, holding up their diplomas, smiling or making silly faces. Ava sided with me, pulling me close—Trip snapped a picture of us with a big fancy camera.

"Can you take one more?" she asked eagerly. "Just to be safe."

Thomas made a show of huffing, bringing the camera back up, snapping one more photo. This time I smiled and kept the stunned look off my face. She'd caught me off guard.

"There," he walked to us, turning the camera over to Ava who was all grabby hands. Apparently she liked photography. "I'm never getting you another camera. When that one breaks—"

"It will never break." She shot back, firing a warning glare his way, just before snapping a quick pic of him. He blinked, lips trembling into a smirk—she slapped his arm. "You're just a jerk,"

"I love you, too." He leaned in, kissing her nose. Ava's frown turned upside down—a man stopped behind Thomas, clearing his throat. Trip stepped back, standing beside Ava. He looked at the older man—in his late forties—wrapping an arm around his girlfriend's waist. "Mr. Wellington," Trip held out a hand, shaking the man's hand.

The man was Ava's Father. Wow.

"Hey, Dad…" I got loose of their little meeting whispering I was going to look for my own family. Mainly because there seemed to be some tension coming from those three…

Searching for Dad or Maria, I stopped—I was stopped. I'd crashed into someone. Blinking quickly, I looked up to apologize. Misty eyes stared down into mine, rendering me a little speechless. I hadn't talked to Finn since the whole showdown in the cafeteria. I wasn't sure why, but I'd been avoiding him ever since that day… ever since Jackson did those things to me. Every time he'd passed me in the halls this week I'd turn around or pretend to be on my phone, it was lame. I know.

Maybe it was because he'd seen me after I'd cried over my painting?

"Congratulations," it tumbled out of my mouth. Way to be talkative, Monet.

Finn mussed some waves back before pocketing his free hand.

"Thanks. You, too." I nodded stupidly, mutely. Finn glanced around for a beat, then his eyes landed back on me. "So, I heard Christian's going to go through summer school to graduate. I think his suspension had something to do with that."

"Really?" the admiration in my voice was real. I figured Christian's Daddy would "donate" a generous amount to St. Joseph in order for his son to graduate. Apparently I was wrong. "Do you think he'll make it?"

Finn snorted, "Honestly? No." I didn't either. "What's your deal?" he asked, sheepish, rubbing his neck.

My eyebrows drew together.

"What do you mean?"

"Come on, how dumb do you think I am? Getting your phone out every time I walk pass you? Ducking into the science lab? You've been avoiding me. I don't get why, but you have."

A little sigh escaped me. Gosh, he'd noticed all that? Seriously? And I thought I'd been a ninja avoiding him. Points for effort, though.

Crossing my arms, I lifted a shoulder in a half shrug.

"Last time we talked I said we weren't friends. I meant—"

"Yeah, I know. My foot's got a nice bruise all over it, thanks for that." A bitter edge showed on his face, molding his features into something colder. I could play at cold. Only… I might be feeling a little guilty about stomping his foot. With my heel. That… had to hurt. "Geez, I don't know why I bother. You're so complicated, Valerie."

I was complicated? First of all, he didn't even know me. Because if he did, he'd know complicated was an understatement to describe moi. I was screwed up. Ms. Coleman could attest to that. That's why I was currently fighting the urge to apologize a hundred times over for what I'd done to his foot, and for what I'd said. The Ice Queen I'd built over the last nine years was having a surprisingly hard time winning, though.

"Finn, I'm…" the words 'I'm sorry' would've spilled out if a steady hand hadn't landed on my shoulder, causing me to look over. "Dad," I whispered instead, bewildered. Right, I reminded myself, I'd been looking for them before I'd crashed into St. Joseph's biggest outcast. "I was looking for you."

My Father was wearing a navy suit—I couldn't remember who bought it for him, me or Maria—along with a tie of the same color. He'd loosened it a bit. He wasn't a fan of ties. His green eyes were shining as summer rays shone down on the lacrosse field. Before another syllable left my mouth, I was dragged into a strong hug. Dad used to embrace me like this a lot—when I was little. Especially when I got hurt. I returned it, although I couldn't hug him as strongly.

"I'm very proud, sweetheart. I just wish your Mother could see you—you're so beautiful, intelligent and… She would've loved being here." He whispered in my ear, only for me to hear.

Gripping his shoulders a little tighter, I choked a sob. We were out in public. I couldn't lose my composure. Plus, there'd been enough crying last week. I nodded, pulling away from the comfortable and safe place in my Father's arms, facing reality.

Finn was here. Oh, shoot. My Father wasn't looking at me anymore. Faster than I could register, my Dad sidestepped me, peering at Finn Matthews with a friendly face. Most Dads out there probably glared boys to death—especially the ones their daughters talked to—my Dad didn't have a problem with me and boys. Mainly because I was, and I was quoting him, 'a young girl with her head set on her shoulders'. Little did he know his little girl lost her virginity to her step-brother.

"My name's Finn, sir." Oh God, my Dad was talking with him. He'd asked him his name—why wasn't I stopping this? My lips parted… then closed. They shook hands.

"Huh…" I mumbled as Maria got on the scene. Her GUCCI sunglasses hid eyes a tad darker than her son's—Jackson's—her flaxen hair hung below the shoulders. She was wearing a navy silk shirt, a white scarf was twisted elegantly around her neck.

She took off her sunglasses looking between Finn and me. Why did it feel like they were getting the wrong idea? Maria broke into a big smile. I wanted a hole to jump into, seriously. Finn was beginning to smile—a little smugly—my way. Good thing I hadn't apologized, I wanted to kick his shins or something.

"Is this a friend of yours, Valerie?" she asked me, as my Father kept talking to Finn. He was asking what classes we'd shared… She leaned close when I didn't answer, "He's a cutie." She winked, slipping the glasses back on.

I stood there completely mummified. Save me. Please.

"We're not…"

An arm landed across my shoulders. Its weight made me tense. My breathing halted for a wee moment as I pushed down the revulsion of having Jackson touching me after… after that day. A little light lit over my head, though.

"Look who's finally off to College," he breathed close to my cheek. "I'm so happy for you, Val."

Oh yeah, I bet he was. Faking a sugary smile, I lifted his arm off me, slipping from underneath it. I moved gracefully towards Finn, startling the hell out of him. More so, when my arm went around his waist. He'd gone statue still, looking down at me questioningly.

"I'm glad you're here, Dad. My friend Ava—remember her? Well, her and her boyfriend asked Finn to an after party in a little bar they know. Finn asked me to go, but I said I needed to speak with you first." I was flat out lying to my Dad. Not about the party at the bar, that much was true. Only Finn hadn't asked me to go, I didn't even know if he'd been planning on going.

Jackson's hazel eyes sharpened on my face. The sweet smile I was throwing Dad's way didn't waver. I was playing the good girl card. Sue me. Maybe this would finally make Jack see I wasn't interested, maybe after this little show the harassing would stop. Jack's eyes slithered quickly to where my hand was on Finn's hip, his gaze quickly found another place—a girl passing by.

"I don't see why not, it's a day to celebrate and honestly, Valerie, when have you ever asked permission before?" my Father buffeted a laugh, shaking his head. "You deserve to have fun." Then, he turned to Finn, his face a lot more serious than minutes ago. "Make sure my daughter gets home safe, Finn. No underage drinking tonight, not if you're driving Valerie home, understand?"

Finn was flabbergasted with everything being said. A teensy part of my being believed he was also feeling off because of my arm, and the fact that I was leaning into his side. My Dad arched a brow when Finn remained quiet, staring.

I pinched his thigh.

"I… Yes, sir. I won't drink, I'll… I'll get her home safe. What time should I get her home?"

"I don't have a curfew." I giggled. "I'm not thirteen, Finn. I'm a legal adult."

"Okay, yeah…" he swallowed. "Yeah…"

"We'll see you at home?" Maria asked, leaning in to kiss my cheek. I nodded. I would have to swing by and change clothes. "Alright, sweetie. It was nice meeting you, Finn." She pecked his cheek.

"Nice meeting you, too." I wasn't sure he knew who Maria was to me or Dad, but it was the last thing on his confused mind.

Jackson came up to us. Bronze eyes flared with disgust at the sight of him.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay home tonight?"

"Pretty sure,"

"Really? Because after tonight I'm leaving for a few weeks. Travelling Europe with a couple of friends."

Could this day get any better? Nope, couldn't say it could.

I waved a hand his way, beaming, "Wonderful! One more reason to celebrate tonight."

"Valerie!" My Father admonished, scowling lightly.

Jackson gave a lopsided shrug, like me saying him leaving was no big deal. A smile showed fully on his face.

"No worries, Kevin. It's cool," Jack said. His eyes were much more interested in Finn. It looked like he was seizing him up. Jesus. He was such a He-man. "So, you're Valerie's boyfriend?"

Was he seriously asking that? Of course he was, this was Jackson. What had I been thinking? Thankfully a call pulled Dad away, so whatever Finn was about to say wouldn't reach his ears.

"No, I'm… Actually, I'm with her for the violence. She likes to hit me when we kiss, I'm a sucker for that. My therapist says I have a masochism complex. I just can't get enough of her, though. It's like being Mike Tyson's punching bag." What? Without thinking, I slapped Finn's chest with my diploma. He jerked back with a smirk. "See? I'm not sure what we should label our relationship as…"

"Oh my God," I groaned. "Shut up."

Jackson's eyes travelled from Finn to me, guarded.

"Funny guy, Valerie." He whispered with a hint of… jealousy? Was he actually buying Finn's crappy joke of us being in a weird, dysfunctional relationship? Forget that—what the hell had Finn just made up? "I really hope you change your mind about staying home tonight."

I tilted my head, "Not going to happen, Jack. Don't you have packing to do? Shoo," I waved him off. Dad was already ambulating to where Maria was, ready to head to the car.

Reluctant, Jackson turned on his heel, sparing a last glare at me and Finn. When my secret Ex was far enough, I turned on Finn with anger written all over.

"What the hell was that?"

"I should be the one asking you that." He shot just as quickly, but in a less heated tone. Still looking smug. It got worse when he took two steps closer, towering over me. He wasn't tall, maybe 5'9 but I was shorter, the top of my head grazed his chin without me wearing heels. "If you wanted to go out on date all you had to do was ask. Wait—this makes sense. That's why you've been sneaking away from me, isn't it? You wanted to ask me out, but you didn't know how?"

I scoffed, rolling my eyes at his baiting attitude.

"You wish, Matthews. I just didn't want… my Dad chit-chatting with you. That's all."

"Sure it was," he patronized me. "I don't know why I didn't see the signs before. You asked me to dance with you at Prom, you stopped Christian from suffocating me—"

"I'm regretting it." I gritted, fisting my hands. Paper crumpled in one hand. Aw, crap. I looked down with saddened eyes, I'd just damaged the stupid diploma. "Look what you made me do? Argh, you're like a bad luck charm or something."

"Bad luck? I saved your ass from becoming a stain on Christian's sports car. I call that being lucky."

"Yeah? Well, ever since that happened I've had nothing but bad luck and guess what? You're around every time I'm in trouble. Maybe you're a trouble magnet. You're hanging around me just so I'll be miserable."

"You're delusional," he rubbed his chin, sighing loudly. He started glaring around. "It's been fun arguing and all, Val, but I really gotta run. The last thing we need is my family seeing us together." I wanted to ask why the hell his family couldn't see me with him, Finn's mouth worked faster than mine. "I'll swing by your place around eight? Don't make me wait, I hate waiting."

"Hey, you can't just…" I trailed off, watching him walk past me, heading in the direction of four people. Two were young—a boy and a girl—the other two were older, probably his parents.

So, I thought suddenly, whirling around and stalking across the field, I'd just graduated high school and gotten a date with Finn Matthews. The school's outcast. The guy, who until weeks ago, had been invisible to me. That guy.

Nibbling my lip, I chanced a glimpse behind me. He wasn't looking. Good, he drove me up the wall. But… there was a nagging part inside me, yelling about how pretty his eyes were. They turned so many shades depending on what he was feeling, I liked reading them. Yeah—no. There was no way I was excited for this pseudo-date with Finn.

Only I couldn't forget how good having my arm around him felt, not just now, when we'd danced at Prom. That dance had been… pretty magical. My heart beat a little faster as I let a strange feeling sink in—the kind of feeling that made you antsy in a good way. Turning back around, I stalked away, a slow smile taking shape.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please leave a comment