‹ Prequel: Trespassing
Sequel: Wrecked
Status: This story is marked as a sequel, but you DON'T need to read Trespassing to understand it! It's about different characters.

Unmasked

Chapter 14

Finn's POV

I was doing a good job hiding my shock. Valerie Monet was in therapy? For what? Spending too much on a dress? Losing a credit card? Okay, maybe I was being heartless. Truth be told, I didn't know her well—or at all. She was pissed off that I knew and didn't want me to share with anyone, I could relate. No one outside my family knew I went to anger management meetings.

It was hard to explain why I'd stuck around and insisted she'd buy me lunch. I couldn't stand her. She couldn't stand me. The only logical reason was… I swallowed. She was hot. And I was an eighteen-year-old virgin who'd spent last night jerking off, thinking about the girl sleeping it off in his freaking bed. Okay. So, I was an eighteen-year-old dumb virgin. Because there were easier girl's than Valerie, like Brenda. The same Brenda who'd thrown herself at me at Prom. A shudder rippled through me, the thought of doing it with a girl like her left a bad taste in my mouth. She'd been sleeping with her friend's boyfriend. I always knew Christian was a douche, but that was plain nasty.

"You're quiet," I asked suddenly, watching Valerie walk beside me, lost in thought.

"I've… got a big headache." She whispered after debating whether to talk to me. "I'm never drinking tequila shots again. Ever. The day after isn't worth it."

I refrained from saying 'I told you so'. We were having a normal talk, which meant hell had frozen over. Why unfreeze it?

"We can go to a pharmacy, buy some Tylenol?" she shook her head slowly.

"Coffee will fix it." Coffee. She could've asked me for a cup back home. "But thank you. And I am sorry about last night. I didn't mean to get drunk—well, not that drunk." She was apologizing and sounding remorseful enough to be believable. Hell must be below fifty degrees.

I cleared my throat, "I guess it's fine. My family didn't even know you were there and you looked like you were having fun."

"I think so, too." She said quietly, like she didn't expect me to hear it. I rubbed my neck. Sometimes I really didn't understand her. She looked a little sad. Maybe because I'd forced her to have lunch with me? I frowned. No, I was damn sure no one could force her to do something she didn't want. "I'm hungry," she stated looking up, making me realize how small she was compared to me.

My lips tipped at the corners.

"You're the one who wanted to walk to… wherever you're taking me."

"Whatever," she bit breezily, sounding more like herself. "I'm just saying, if I faint it'll be your fault. Because you insisted on eating lunch together, instead of letting me go home."

Pfft.

"Are you sure you're not just saying that so I'll carry you? Like last night?"

I think I saw her right eye twitch a little.

"A gentleman wouldn't bring that up, Matthews."

"Yeah, yeah…" I broke off, snatching Valerie around the waist, pulling her into my side. She stayed still against me for a moment, blinking. She'd nearly walked into a lamppost. "You have a thing for not looking where you're going."

Valerie stayed cuddled into my side for two more seconds. Regaining motor-skills, she grabbed the arm around her, tearing it off. Funny thing was, her fingers kept hugging mine. I looked down at our hands and grinned deviously, giving a nod. Valerie scoffed, letting go like she'd been burned. Yes, teasing her was fun.

"I still say you're a magnet for trouble. Honestly, ever since you…" I stopped listening, my blood was pumping too loudly and I was transfixed by the angry pose, hands on her hips. Was it bad that I wanted her to shut up? But like, I wanted to shut her up with a kiss? I felt hot all over. Shifting, I licked my lips. "Hey!" she slapped my chest lightly, looking at me with disbelief. "Did you listen to a word I said?"

Taken aback by my crazy thoughts, I shook my head, winded. She rolled her eyes, mouthing something like 'dumbass'. She started walking again. I stayed rooted. How could I want to kiss her? She looked smoking hot, just like last night, sure. But what about her personality? Where are your ideals, Finn? How could I openly admit to myself that I wanted to kiss Valerie Monet? Maybe I was coming down with something.

Valerie must've noticed I wasn't following, because she trotted on over, a fed up look plastered on her heart shaped face.

"Finn, I'm actually starving. So, can you please—please—move?" Nod, I told myself. My brain was still trying to comprehend its own stupidity. She crossed her arms, glaring expectantly. "Are you having a stroke or something?"

"Something like that," I managed, swallowing dryly.

Valerie looked confused.

"Don't joke about that," she murmured softly. Something in her bronze eyes made me get a grip. "We're close now, okay? I promise not to faint if you promise not to go all Zombie-like on me again."

I sniffed, straightening. Hoping I looked cool and collected, "Yeah, sorry. I guess I'm hungry, too."

Valerie reached out, grabbing my wrist, pulling me along. Soon, though, her fingers slid down and our hands were touching again. This time, our fingers were slightly intertwined. Was she aware? Her face looked pretty oblivious. Valerie made us dodge one more block of busy people walking on Manhattan's streets, until we stopped and I was veered inside a hotel. Her hand slipped from mine while she waltzed across the richly decorated lobby to a guy behind the counter, she smiled and talked politely, like a well-mannered girl. I couldn't hear what she told the guy, but he asked us to follow him. We ended up in the dining room. It was empty. Waiters were setting tables, preparing for dinner time. Huh… It was almost four in the afternoon. When I told Valerie about lunch, I'd forgotten she was rich. I just wanted to grab a burger or something.

"Sit down," she waved at the chair across from where she was sitting. I did, looking around us. "Do you like it?"

"It's… big." Were those diamond chandeliers? "Valerie, it's the middle of the afternoon."

"So?"

"So? This is a hotel restaurant. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's not time for either of those."

"Oh, yeah. I know that." She shrugged like it was no biggie. I was still looking at her like she was demented. Maybe this was why she needed a shrink? "Finn," she called out, smiling a little. "It's fine. They have to service us."

"No offense, but you're not actually a Queen. You do know that?"

Rolling her eyes, she reached across the table and flicked my nose, gently. I pulled back. Okay, she was acting weird.

"Finn, this hotel's mine. They work for me." She explained slowly. Oh. Holy crap. This hotel was hers? "I mean, they work for my Father. Not me, but… you understand." Yep, I understood. Damn. No wonder she thought she could order anyone around. She owned a hotel—probably more. "Finn?"

"Yeah?"

"You look uncomfortable." She stated, fiddling with her fingers. Looking at me. "Look, I didn't bring you here to make you uncomfortable. I just wanted to make it up to you—for last night—and to thank you. For letting me sleep over. You could've taken me home, but you didn't. You said you wanted lunch and we were close by and the food here's really good…"

I'd never seen Valerie babble. It was adorable. She had that vulnerable look about her. The same I saw the day she ran out of the girl's bathroom, eyes red.

"I don't feel uncomfortable." Big, big lie. But I couldn't help myself, her face was red and her eyes soft. Like when we'd danced together. Valerie didn't look like she believed me. Trying to loosen up, I told my stupid shoulders to slump and leaned back into my chair. It was made of velvet. Geez. "I just had no idea you, huh, your family owned hotels."

"Yeah, it's the family business." A family business was my Dad's auto-shop. This was a… family legacy or something. "I don't know who'll run it after my Dad… retires." She chose the word carefully. "I don't see myself as a business woman."

"You'd be damn good at it." I snorted on impulse.

Her eyes sharpened, looking like they were powering-up to shoot lasers.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Aw, shoot. "I have other interests besides bossing and scaring people."

"Like what?" She opened her mouth, then closed it. She was slowly slipping into her Iciness. Good move, Finn. "You can't blame me for asking, Valerie. You ignore people and the people you don't ignore, you either make them miserable or blackmail them..."

"Sometimes I do both." She gave a sudden, frigid smile.

"Yes," I agreed. "But Ava likes you. For some reason. I don't think Ava would be friends with you if she didn't see a good side to you."

Valerie scoffed to the side. She was looking at a big oil painting, standing over a beautifully carved fireplace. When her stare returned to me, it was sharper than an icicle.

"I can tell them to poison your food. How's that for nice?" This was the girl I wanted to kiss? I was insane. Then again, didn't Batman always like the ones who tried killing him? Super. "I asked for Filet Mignon—it's a very tender meat. It comes with mash potatoes, mushroom and broccoli. Is that okay or do you want me to change the order?"

"I don't know. Does the poison come on the side?"

Valerie's mouth clamped shut, her usually blood-red lips were a natural pink. A muscle in her jaw wanted to escape the Ice Queen's control. I couldn't help a half smile.

"You're a gamer," she moved onto a new topic, taking me by surprise. She shrugged. "I was in your bedroom, Matthews. I have to say, not what I expected it to look like."

"Oh?"

"You play darts?"

"Trip asked the same thing the first time he went over. What's wrong with me playing darts?"

Valerie leaned in, resting her elbows on the table.

"There's nothing wrong with it…" she trailed off, searching for the right term. "You're different from what I expected." Trip said that once, too. Couldn't blame him. Our friendship started when he punched two guys for me. Me acting twitchy made people think I was a wuss. When I got too tense, though, I forced myself to remember what happened last time I fought someone. I closed a fist under the table. "I thought you were a cowardly virgin with a stash of Playboys."

Ouch. Virgin? Yes. Cowardly? Not so much. As for the Playboys… the stash was secret. Hidden in the back of my closet, where I hoped Mom would leave it the hell alone.

"Are you trying to make me angry?"

Valerie tilted her head innocently.

"Why would I do such a thing?"

I shrugged nonchalantly, "Because I made you angry." Something like surprise raced across her bronze eyes. I grinned lazily. "I'm a master of Zen when I want to be. So, go ahead, baby. It's not going to work."

"I doubt that," Valerie whispered with a little glint in her pupil. I refrained from asking what that meant, because a waiter was serving… orange juice. "Wait, Derek." The waiter—Derek—stopped before serving me a glass. "You like orange juice?"

"Yes," I whispered. I didn't know what surprised me more, the fact that she knew the guy's name or that she was being such a good host. "Thanks," I told Derek before he walked off, saying something to Miss Monet—yes, he used those words—about the food being ready in about ten minutes. "You're confusing."

Valerie glanced at me while taking a swig of OJ. Setting down the cup, she licked her lips clean. I forced my eyes to meet hers.

"You run all hot and cold, it's confusing." I gestured with my hand to the glasses. "You brought me here to be nice, I got that. You asked me to dance with you at Prom to be nice. Got that, too. You dislike corny pop songs and I like that. You got drunk on a ton of alcohol and hey, I understand wanting to get wasted. What I don't get, are all the other times. Like: stomping my foot or getting angry because I didn't get you flowers for date that wasn't a real date…" I quieted down, not sure where I was going with this speech. Sighing, I ruffled my hair. "I was surprised that you knew that waiter's name, Valerie. That's how much of a spoiled brat I think you are."

Valerie tapped her fingers on the table, growing increasingly less happy.

"I don't see where you're going with this, Finn. Unless it's to a funeral home in a coffin." She said sweetly, batting her eyelashes.

"I guess what I'm trying to say… is that you were right. What you said yesterday, about Thomas being different in my book? It's because he's my friend. Because I know him. Despite what everyone else thinks of him, I know he loves Ava and he'd never cheat on her. I know he doesn't use his family's money because he wants to build something new—something that's his. I was being stereotypical. I don't know you." My mouth was running much faster than my brain. It was my turn to lean forward, keeping our gazes locked. "Maybe you're more than a heartless Ice Queen who scares the shit out of everyone at St. Joseph." Maybe I want to know you, I thought.

Valerie looked shocked. Her lips parted soundlessly before she pressed them together into a thin, thin line. What was I thinking? I hadn't been thinking, that was the big problem. I liked puzzles. I liked to solve hard equations and functions. The thought of Valerie having a heart had been plaguing me since Prom. Finding out about her therapy sessions had heightened my curiosity. I could be projecting. Thinking there was more to her then met the eye, some part of her that was locked away. Off-limits.

I rubbed a finger along my mouth, dropping it when she opened her mouth.

"Have you ever considered writing a book? Your imagination is wild."

"Okay, how's this for wild," Valerie arched an eyebrow. "Last night, you called me sweet and said you were telling the truth. Which is weird, since you keep saying we're not friends and you hate me. So, I've earned the right of being confused by you."

Valerie turned her head, hiding a growing smirk, I followed the movement to a T. Almost missing a spark in her eyes. She faced me, scratching her temple.

"Are you trying to ask me if I like your company, Matthews?" I didn't answer. I wasn't sure what I was doing, so, keeping my damn mouth shut would work well right about now. "Well, I prefer being around you than being around my step-brother. Whom I detest. So, hurray for you, Finn." She declared after what felt like an hour. I think my heart cartwheeled. That wasn't… anatomically possible, my brain supplied.

Valerie leaned back, never breaking eye contact and it felt like a challenge had been issued between us. I never backed down from a challenge. During out staring contest, the food arrived. It smelled and looked delicious. Valerie thanked the waiter with a smile—that childlike smile from yesterday. It melted away when she caught me watching her, though. She cleared her throat, grabbing her silverware and throwing me a last shy glance before we dug in. Halfway through, Valerie lost her remaining anger and started talking, instead of threatening my life with poisonous mushrooms.

"What's it like? Having a brother and sister?" she asked after wiping her mouth on a silk napkin.

"Well, you might not believe it, but being the middle child means you get picked on the most. Especially when your younger sibling is a girl. If Johnny did something to piss me off, I could hit him and my parents would usually take my side. If April does something—like use up all the hot water—I can't hit her. She's immune to teasing."

"It doesn't sound boring."

"Nope. You're almost never alone at my place. It sucks," I forked some broccoli and mash potatoes.

Valerie eased up on the food, eyeing.

"You like being alone?"

"Sometimes privacy is nice," I paused on devouring my plate. Mom would kill me if I showed no manners. Plus, I didn't want Valerie to kick me under the table. "What about your brother?"

"Like I said before, he's my step-brother. No blood relation. None whatsoever." Wow. You couldn't fake that kind of scorn. She hadn't been kidding about hating him. "He's a jackass."

Hey, now that I thought about it… "Weren't you arguing with him or something? The day Christian…" I didn't finish, seeing recognition in her eyes and astonishment. Yeah, I was surprising myself by remembering.

"Yes. He… insisted on giving me a ride to school that day. God only knows why. But, anyway, it was Jackson's fault I was late." I chuckled. "What?" she asked frowning.

"I was late because April hopped in the shower before I did."

Valerie stabbed a mushroom, "Maybe I should thank your sister for that. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been there to save me…" she blushed massively.

Her eyes landed on her food once mine tried meeting hers. A sudden pit opened in my stomach. Yeah, Valerie was right. If it weren't for April… My hand tightened around my silverware. I willed those dark thoughts away, but I couldn't stop cursing Christian to hell.

"Do you…" I whispered out, racking my brain for happier topics. "Do you have any plans for summer?"

That made her look up. "I don't have anything planned yet. Every year my Dad schedules two weeks to vacation with me. Since he got married a few months ago, I think he'll want to spend that time with Maria. Or at least most of it." Valerie glared at her cup as if lost in thought. "Maybe I'll go to the Hamptons and be a spoiled rich kid. What about you?"

Blown away by the bitterness in her words, I stayed silent until her eyes demanded an answer.

"Huh. I… Sometimes we—my family and I—go down to Florida. My grandparents live there. Mom and Dad just came back from visiting, though. So, I don't think I'll be heading there this summer." And lunch had suddenly taken an awkward turn. I wasn't sure why. Valerie was eerie silent, putting food in her mouth and chewing robotically, swallowing, looking very far away. "Hey," I got out suddenly, earning a startle from her. I looked Valerie in the eyes. I tried to keep my breathing steady, "I never got to say sorry. For what happened to your painting. That happened because of me—because you stepped in between Christian and me. It was a very beautiful painting, Valerie."

Her shoulders shrunk. She bit her lip. Oh—oh, no. Please don't cry, I didn't say that to make her cry. I was a train wreck with women. Fuck. Why was Trip always right? Why… Valerie didn't cry. She smiled sadly, eyes shining bright, but didn't shed a tear.

"It was just a painting. I can make another. If… I knew Brenda would destroy my painting, I still would've helped you against Christian. He was high and angry. Never a good combination in his case… I've known Christian for a long time and he can hurt people—really hurt them—when he's that angry." Absently, she rubbed a cheek. "Things could've gotten really ugly if Principal Truman hadn't…" she didn't finish. Tilting her head, she whispered, "You're a person, Finn. No one can replace you."

I swear I stopped breathing and just looked at her. In a split second, it was like I was seeing Valerie for the first time, because in her eyes, the only thing I saw was compassion.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait, I hope you'll enjoy!