Status: Updated Fridays

Echoes

Take Action

Night very quickly gave way to morning. 8am arrived far sooner than Scarlett had hoped it would. Sometime after she’d gotten off the phone with Tony she’d managed to close her eyes, though it hadn't been for long. She kept waking up with pain in her chest or from some nightmare that left her in a cold sweat. Her alarm went off at seven and she rushed around her house to get ready for her appointment. Somehow she managed to make it to Refuge on time and still look like she’d gotten a full night’s sleep. Sometimes makeup was a pretty magical thing. It hid the weariness she felt on a constant basis. It was a good thing that she wasn’t meeting up with Natasha that morning. She was sure the assassin would see right through her.

Natasha always did. It was very annoying.

With any luck, she wouldn't run into her until tomorrow.

Michelangela Pierce was waiting for Scarlett in Refuge's lobby. She was exceptionally tall with brown hair pulled back into a short ponytail and bangs that neatly framed her face. Scarlett didn’t bother checking in with Jinx upstairs. She knew that Mickey would have stopped there first. Mickey and Jinx were close friends. Whenever she caught Jinx gossiping on the phone she was sure that it was with Mickey.

Currently Mickey was crouched low, petting her golden retriever. Amusingly enough, the dog’s name was Pluto. Scarlett couldn’t help herself and for the first week after they'd first met had made so many Disney jokes she was sure that Mickey was going to strangle her. Every so often she threw one in for good measure.

“What, no Minnie today? Or is she still upstairs in her office?” Scarlett smirked and Mickey rolled her eyes but smiled softly. Scarlett could immediately tell that Mickey was walking on eggshells after the night before. Great, another person treating her with kid gloves.

Scarlett was tired of being fragile.

“She’s upstairs and I doubt Jinx would like being called Minnie and all that implies.” Mickey stood up to her full height and held out her hand to shake which Scarlett did. Scarlett considered herself tall, but Mickey made her feel short.

“Are you kidding me? She’d love it. Imagine the bad stories she could write.” Scarlett crouched down and pet the friendly golden retriever. The dog scooted closer to her and wagged his tail contently. “Think of all the jokes she could make! The possibilities are endless. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.”

“Are you ready?” Mickey nodded toward the door, deciding to let the joke go. Pluto was a good judge of character so while Scarlett had intimidated her at first Mickey had ultimately decided she was a good person. Pluto had been the deciding factor.

“Am I ever?”

“No, we can’t go for breakfast first. The last time I did that I got in big trouble. You keep getting me into trouble with your procrastination.”

“You need to get in trouble sometimes. It’s fun.” Scarlett stood and then glanced back at the dog who leaned his head against her leg in hopes she would continue petting him. “Sorry Pluto, your mom is being a party pooper today and making us do what we said we’d do.” She pouted dramatically more at Mickey than at the dog. “No dog parks, no adventures, no restaurant food for you.”

“You can’t guilt me into skipping your appointment by using Pluto.” Mickey pulled on Pluto’s leash and the dog stood up, tail wagging. “Let’s get going.”

“Why did you bring Pluto if you’re not going to let me play with him? That’s just mean.” Scarlett followed her out of the Refuge building and down the stone steps to the car that was parked on the corner waiting for them. Mickey helped Pluto into the backseat and then got into the driver’s side.

“He didn’t want to stay home alone today. I bring him to the office every so often. Come on, get in. You have a big meeting this morning and if we’re late it’s going to be my ass on the line.” Mickey turned over the engine. Scarlett reluctantly got into the passenger seat of the car and stared longingly out the window. The press had flocked outside, as always, but they never followed her to these appointments. Mickey had apparently been trained in the art of aggressive driving; she always managed to lose any paparazzi that followed in traffic. Though most of the time this scared the hell out of Scarlett in the process.

“How much would it take for me to bribe you into taking us somewhere completely different? We could… drive for six hours south and end up in New York. I know a few really great places we could get lost in down there. No one would find us until tomorrow. I could put off my appointment for just a little while longer. It won’t hurt to wait another day.” Scarlett sighed dreamily. “I have a few theater acquaintances down there. Backstage passes, a little alcohol. You’d never want to go home. He seems a little boring, but Nathan knows how to party.”

“Agent Romanoff would have my head if I did that.” Mickey weaved through the traffic in Boston, carefully keeping an eye on which cars followed them and which cars didn’t.

“She can have my head instead. I’m causing all the trouble.” Scarlett laughed, watching as Pluto tried to wedge his way further into the front seat of the car. She pet his head lazily and watched as he gave a sweet puppy sigh in return.

“Except that you’re the one we’re trying to protect, remember?”

“I don’t need anyone to protect me. That’s not what I signed up for.”

“I’m not arguing with you, Scarlett.” Mickey could feel the tension in the car, radiating off of Scarlett. “If you had just stayed last night after…”

“And then have to deal with my mystery disappearance?” With a roll of her eyes Scarlett tapped on the car door. “Right. If they see me coming from anywhere other than my house then either the next day the papers are reporting that I had another torrid love affair with whoever I was standing next to or I’m off doing something nefarious.”

“Well, they’re not entirely wrong from what I hear.”

“Oh my god.” Scarlett stared at her in disbelief. “What is with you ladies at S.H.I.E.L.D. and the gossip? Is there a phone chain I’m not a part of? How can I get in on this? Or is all the drama about me these days?” Scarlett waited for Mickey to wave her S.H.I.E.L.D. badge at the parking garage attendant.

“There’s no phone chain.” Mickey chuckled after rolling up her window.

“That’s right, you and Jinx are joined at the hip. I keep forgetting since I only see you in a professional setting.” Scarlett used the term professional loosely. Most times when she saw Michelangela Pierce the woman was stressed out of her mind. To be honest, most of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents she spent time with seemed particularly stressed. Or was it just when they were around her? Scarlett pushed the insecurity from her mind as she stepped out of the car.

“Most of the gossip is about you these days. If it makes you feel better.” Mickey chuckled as she walked with Scarlett toward the elevator that would take them far underground.

Thanks?

“It’s not going to be so bad.” Mickey shrugged, hoping to sound comforting.

“It’s never good, if that’s what you’re trying to convince me.”

“I could get you a lollipop if you like. Cherry okay?”

“No thanks, Dr. Ganter isn’t going to let me have any fun today. We both know that.”

“It will be a secret lollipop then.”

“I don’t need a lollipop.” Scarlett went to press the button on the elevator but was denied. Rolling her eyes she muttered something about still not having security clearance with S.H.I.E.L.D. Mickey pressed the same button, held it down for three seconds and the elevator began its descent.

“…okay.” Mickey smiled regardless of the awkward silence that fell between them. “It’s actually a big day today for you.”

“Really? Why would you tell me that? Didn’t you just say it wouldn’t be so bad?”

“I didn’t say a bad day, I said a big day.”

“That’s literally the same thing.”

“Not really.”

“When you’re about to get poked and prodded by a bunch of strangers, there’s no adjective you could use that would sound good, Mickey.”

“It’s really going to be okay.”

“Thanks for your vote of confidence.” With that the conversation was at an end. Scarlett didn’t want to talk. This stupid secret meeting happened whenever S.H.I.E.L.D. wanted it to and more recently it had become more frequent. She was tired of the glances from the other Agents. Fear. Pity. Hope. Scarlett didn’t want any of them. Finally the elevator doors opened into a sterile looking hallway.

“Oh, they’re here!” A woman with wavy dark hair turned toward them when the doors opened and brightened with a wide smile. Her accent was charming and cute. The man standing next to her was slightly taller and looked younger than he likely was. “Fitz, they’re here!”

“Simmons, calm down. They can hear you.” Fitz sounded sheepish but was smiling with eyes just as bright as his counterpart.

“Hello!” Simmons approached with Fitz on her tail, holding her hand out to Scarlett to shake. “You must be Miss Scarlett Damien! It’s a pleasure to meet you at last, we’ve heard so much about you.”

“Okay…” Scarlett shook the woman’s hand and then stopped when her counterpart interrupted. His accent was quite cute but Scarlett couldn’t place it as Irish or Scottish. It seemed like he’d spent a little too long in the States.

“Miss Damien, it is an honor! I’ve spent the last two weeks pouring through your journals and they are brilliant, absolutely brilliant! Your work with weapons even from ten years ago is far beyond what we’ve seen. I’ve got a number of questions…”

“Fitz, stop you’re overwhelming her!” Simmons smiled apologetically and clasped her hands together. “After last night you are remarkably filled with color! I didn’t expect you to look so healthy after going over your lab reports. Can I ask you what kind of diet you’re on?” Scarlett stared at the two younger scientists in lab coats and then turned to Mickey.

“What's happening? What on earth is happening?” Scarlett shook her head in awe.

“What does she mean? I thought she’d be excited to meet us.” Fitz spoke under his breath to Simmons.

“Oh gosh, I don’t think anyone’s told her.” Simmons whispered. “Our apologies Miss Damien, we thought you’d been briefed about our involvement in your case ages ago!”

“Scarlett, these are Agents Jemma Simmons and Leo Fitz.” Mickey introduced quickly. “They were working personally for a long time with Agent Coulson and recently were assigned to your case.”

“They look like kids.” Scarlett held her hand up. “No offense.”

“No of course not, I take it as a compliment.” Jemma smiled politely but Leo muttered something under his breath about not at all looking like he was that young. “I’m sorry about all that, Miss Damien, we thought you were aware of our involvement.”

“Yeah, you keep saying that.” Scarlett cleared her throat and nodded to Mickey. “You can go report to Fury and Romanoff that I came in like a good girl. But just remember that you had the chance to go to Manhattan and elbow with celebrities while getting wildly drunk with someone who knows more than how to have a good time and you turned it down for work.” Scarlett scolded and this left Mickey pouting. She hadn’t put it in that sort of perspective.

“I’ll be back shortly. We’re not allowed to socialize anyway.” Mickey smiled and patted Scarlett on the shoulder before reaching to pet Pluto behind his ears and leading him down the hall.

“So, you specialize in weapons and engineering, yes?” Scarlett nodded toward Leo who perked up.

“I thought you didn’t know who we were.”

“You got really excited about my journals so I took a wild guess.” Scarlett then pointed to Jemma who looked eager to hear her response. “I want to say microbiology.”

“Close, life sciences.” Jemma chuckled. “I’ve been taking a second look at your blood work over the past month. Dr. Ganter is a brilliant man but I’ve had more experience with foreign substances so Agent Coulson thought I might offer a different opinion when it came to treating you.”

“Great, another doctor. Again, no offense. Just not loving doctors right now.” Scarlett took off her jacket and threw it over her shoulder.

“I’m not going to condescend you by saying I’m sorry about all this but I understand your frustration.” Jemma nodded toward the hallway. “Walk with me to take your vitals while I explain what will be changing.”

“I was hoping that during your first treatment I could borrow a moment of your time to discuss some of the work with your journals.” Fitz interrupted, holding one of the older journals up and Scarlett nodded her head.

“Yeah, I could use the company.” Scarlett no longer felt herself. She never did at these S.H.I.E.L.D. meetings, or rather doctor’s appointments. The white sterile hospitals walls reminded her of just what was happening inside her, beyond her control. Most days she could fake it. But as Jemma put on a sterile mask while she performed simple tasks such as take hair, saliva, and blood samples it reminded Scarlett that nothing was okay.

“I hope we didn’t upset you back there. I was sure that Agent Coulson would have told you all about us by now. It has been a month since we were approached for the case, after all.” Jemma spoke sympathetically as she took Scarlett’s blood pressure.

“Nope. No one tells me anything if they don’t have to. No one likes arguing with me. Agent Pierce back there? Gets the short end of the straw most times. When it’s too difficult to tell me they send Agent Romanoff because they know if I put up a fight she could knock me out.” Scarlett shook her hand as her fingers went numb. “Used to not be that way. It used to be whichever one of us got lucky.”

“I’m sorry.” Jemma stopped her tests and placed her gloved hands on the table next to her. “I read your file. From what I know, you’ve accomplished great things. And considering everything I know to be true about all this… you’re doing remarkably well.”

“Well, you’re right about some of those things.” Scarlett cleared her throat. “So why you? Why not Dr. Ganter? He’s familiar with me so how did you get stuck with this?”

“I volunteered.” Jemma didn’t quite seem to understand why she would feel cheated. “I’ve heard all the stories, why wouldn’t I want to meet the woman at the center of them?”

“Could you spread that around a little more? It’s always an ice box in this place when I walk in.”

“You’re intimidating of course, but… more fascinating than anything.” Jemma smiled and took off her mask. “This way while I explain the new treatment.”

“New? No one said anything about new.” Scarlett grimaced.

“Come, sit down. It’s not so bad, I promise.”

“Everyone keeps saying that and yet it’s always bad. That last time I was here was a nightmare…” Scarlett objected. “I threw up for almost two days straight. Do you know how hard it is to keep puking a secret? It’s not easy, that’s for damn sure.”

“That’s precisely why I’m changing your medication!” Jemma laughed. Despite the seriousness of Scarlett’s situation, it seemed she still had a sense of humor. Simmons could appreciate that. “Look, there isn’t going to be anything magical that will make you feel wonderful but what I’m going to give you will change the rules a little in your favor.”

“So far you are my favorite doctor.” Scarlett reluctantly allowed Jemma to hook her up to the IV next to her chair.

“For one you will be permitted to consume alcohol again.”

“That’s good because honestly, Simmons, I never really stopped and I don't plan to.”

“I couldn’t believe they put you on those blood thinning medications when I read your file! After all that you’ve been through you deserve a strong drink if you so desire.”

“Oh yes, definitely my favorite doctor. Can you pass that along to Ganter? He’s got a stick up his ass. Keeps asking me about my mental health and such. I’m not into shrinks.”

“Well, psychology never was my strong suit either.”

“Thank god.”

“Unfortunately I can’t give you all good news.”

“So far this has all been too good to be true so I guess I can’t complain.”

“This medicine is cumulative and long term. It will get worse the longer it’s in your system and depending on how you progress it could get worse very quickly.” Jemma spoke steadily but appeared sympathetic. Scarlett thought she was okay with this new girl. She wasn’t condescending and she didn’t seem to have the same air of pity that most S.H.I.E.L.D. agents reeked of when in the same room with her.

“Don’t define worse. You people give me a list of what I’m supposed to feel and I suddenly start feeling it. Just brace me for it.”

“I can do that.” Jemma held a file folder to her chest and smiled slightly. “I don’t suppose you want to look over the notes I made in your file.”

“I don’t.” Scarlett grimaced and shook her head. “If there’s anything imperative in there, have it faxed to my office. I can’t really be seen carrying around medical files.”

“I understand. I’ll have them sent over. I heard a rumor that you might be privately doing some work and I want you to have all the information.”

“Are you sure you’re a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent?” Scarlett clicked her tongue suspiciously. She’d been told several times by pretty much every Agent at S.H.I.E.L.D. to stop experimenting on herself, to stop running her own tests. Well, there was just no way Scarlett was going to do that. She was a problem solver! “I’ve been told implicitly not to do any work.”

“Yes, but if you were doing work you should know what’s in your blood.” Jemma smiled knowingly.

“I feel like this is a trap.”

“I understand what you’re going through in a sense, Miss Damien. I mean, to an extent at least. I know if it was me and there was something I could do, anything, then I would do it. The powers that be may not quite understand that and want to try to control all the elements of your case but not all of us agree with that. Including Agent Coulson. I’ll fax these to your office and your private line.”

“You know, Agent Simmons? You are not what I expected.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment Miss Damien.”

“Good.” Scarlett sighed, leaning back in her chair. Whatever Jemma was giving her was cold as it spread through her veins. It made her tired even sitting there. “Not as harsh, right?”

“No vomiting, I promise.” Jemma checked Scarlett’s vitals and then took a step backwards. “I’ve got to get these processed. Do you need anything before I leave?”

“Thanks, but I’m okay.” Scarlett held up her hand in greeting and Jemma nodded her head. She hesitated as though she wanted to say something more but then left the room. Scarlett wasn’t going to press her on the matter. She had enough on her mind. What was she being given now? For a few seconds she guessed what the clear liquid dripping into the tubing of her IV was before she gave up.

Ultimately it didn’t matter.

No one had come to her with a real solution. It was simply another grasp at straws by someone new. Should it have worried her that Agent Coulson had thought it necessary to bring in another doctor to help her? Probably, but Scarlett couldn’t possibly worry more than she already was. That would accomplish nothing. The situation was bad enough without over thinking.

Just as she was about to close her eyes there was a tapping on the door. She expected to see Fitz there as promised to ask about her journals but instead Mickey was standing nervously.

“You’re back faster than I expected.”

“Sorry to disappoint you.”

“How much trouble am I in today?”

“None, well, none more than usual.” Mickey tapped her fingers nervously against a large file in her arms, carefully guarded close to her chest.

“Then what do you need?”

“As promised, Natasha spoke to Nick Fury for you.” Mickey seemed nervous.

And?

“They agree that something has to be done about…”

“MedCo.” Scarlett finished for her. “Stupid name, but they haven’t given us anything real to call them.”

“Yes, about them and about… Scott.” Mickey handed the file folder over to Scarlett who took it reluctantly. At the top of the file were the printed words Scott Aaronson. She flipped the file open and read the first few words.

Deceased.

Or at least he was supposed to be. Even the picture to the side didn’t seem familiar even if the name did. Her chest hurt and her throat suddenly felt tight and dry. The rest of the words on the page became a blur and Scarlett closed the file abruptly. All her problems began and ended with her ex-boyfriend.

He’d been a good man once. Scarlett knew deep down that she’d destroyed him. Even if she hadn’t realized it then she could look back and find the moments she’d watched it happen.

“Scarlett?”

When she looked up from the folder Mickey was only inches from her and seemed concerned.

“What?” Before Scarlett got an answer she turned away and coughed away the terrible taste in her mouth. The pain in her chest had gotten much worse and the room spun as she tried to clear the annoying cling in her throat.

“I’m calling someone.” Mickey stood and started toward the door.

“No, no!” Scarlett spoke between coughs and grabbed Mickey’s wrist to stop her in her tracks.

“The monitor thing is beeping.”

“Because I’m coughing. I’m fine.” Scarlett cleared her throat and leaned back in her chair.

“You disappeared.” Mickey shifted her feet apprehensively. She’d been asking Scarlett if she was alright with having the file. Natasha had warned her that it might trigger a fit of anger but instead it was like Scarlett had vanished, at least mentally. “I was talking to you and you were just gone.”

“Happens sometimes.” Scarlett nodded and cleared her throat again. The cling just wouldn't go away. “Any chance I can get some water? I’d get it myself but… Simmons didn’t give me the mobile one.” Scarlett pointed to the IV bag hanging just above her.

“Of course.” Mickey reluctantly stepped out of the examination room and Scarlett breathed a sigh of relief. Nothing was wrong with her, at least that’s what she’d tell herself. She’d simply forgotten to breathe while she’d been reminiscing about Scott. She’d refused to think of him for the past few days but she knew she’d have to get past that eventually. When had she built up such a mental barrier? Avoidance. She had to stop avoiding what made her uncomfortable, especially if there was any chance she would be going back into the field.

“Someone called for some water?” Leo Fitz popped into the room holding a bottle of water with a smile on his face. “Seems you spooked Agent Pierce… she ran off and asked for me to bring this to you.”

“Such a tattletale…”

“You are rather pale, did something happen?”

“Yes, I had a stroke.”

“Not funny you know, that’s serious stuff.”

“I coughed and everyone seems to be upset by coughing these days.”

“Well, a cough can be indicative of…”

“A cold? A tickle? Swallowing the wrong way?” Scarlett cleared her throat but guzzled the water that Leo handed to her. “I know what it can indicate, okay? I’m fine. Everyone here makes the mistake of thinking I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I know better than any of you what’s happening to me and if I say I’m okay then I mean it. S.H.I.E.L.D. didn’t find me barely alive in some hospital, you know. I approached them. This was my idea.” Taking a deep breath, Scarlett could feel her blood pressure rising. She had to keep from getting so worked up. Being at S.H.I.E.L.D. had that effect on her these days.

“I didn’t mean to offend you.” Fitz began tentatively. He didn’t know Scarlett well enough to make a judgment call but she seemed angry. “We were simply concerned.”

“I get it.” Scarlett held up her hand to stop him. “It’s very sweet. But I’m okay.”

“You’re sure?” Fitz shifted his footing awkwardly.

“I am. The water helped. I know you guys look at the blood work and everyone sorta freaks out. It scares me too. But I know how I feel. I’m fine.” Finally Scarlett calmed down. This happened every damn time she came in for an appointment. The last few times she’d actually been too sick to argue, but this time she felt relatively great considering. “You seem like a nice guy Agent Fitz. You just walked in here at a bad time.”

“Well, there’s never really a good time it seems. I do have a few questions for you though.”

“That’s right, about my journals.” Scarlett nodded, relieved to talk about something other than her health. Things had gotten so out of control she didn’t know how to talk about or even deal with it. The truth was that Scarlett was pretty scared. Usually when she was afraid of something she would conquer said thing by facing the fear head on. How would she do that with this? There was nothing to face except for her face in the mirror. And the fact was she didn’t look much different. “I offered them to S.H.I.E.L.D. only if they would make some good out of them. There’s a big list somewhere of things that no one is to use.” Scarlett glared. In her youth she had designed some diabolical machinery. As she’d aged, she’d known better than to consider creating more weapons.

People didn’t need any help killing each other. They did just fine on their own.

“Yes, but I’ve come up with an idea.” Fitz pulled up a chair and sat down comfortably next to Scarlett, excited to finally discuss something on a technical level. “You said that these enemies of yours have had access to your files over the years.”

“Regretfully yes.” Scarlett sighed. She’d always trusted her ex-boyfriend in the past. After he’d betrayed her she wasn’t sure what was real and what wasn’t anymore.

“If I could create a database of your ideas, searchable with the blueprints you’ve drawn then I can use collected data from all around the world to narrow down whose using your weapons. From there we could possibly narrow down locations and on top of that…”

“Properly assess the threat.” Scarlett nodded her head. She was tempted to do just that but what if S.H.I.E.L.D. went back on their promise? After she was dead all bets were off.

“Yes, exactly!” Fitz smiled brightly. “I’ve got the okay on it from those above my station but I need your approval.”

“Only if the database is destroyed after this is all over.” Scarlett’s face fell. “Along with the journals. I’ve already put the ideas I’m willing to share into Refuge’s database. The rest I negotiated with Nick Fury.”

“Destroyed?” Fitz seemed disappointed. He’d been hoping to convince her to bring some of her ideas to fruition. They were fascinating and the work she’d done even ten years ago had intrigued him. “Doesn’t that seem like such a waste? The ideas in these journals… they could change modern warfare.”

“I don’t want that.” Scarlett held up her hand to stop him before he could argue with her further. She’d long since made up her mind. “Don’t get me wrong, things would have been different if you’d asked me a year ago what I wanted to do with these notes.”

“Then why is this different? Weren’t you just trying to explain to me how you’re doing just fine?”

“I don’t want anyone else to die because of me.” Scarlett sighed. Fitz stayed silent and while he was disappointed he couldn’t much argue with such sound logic.

“Wait, wait! I have an idea.” Fitz brightened up with a snap of his fingers. “What if I create that database and while going through your notes and transferring them to digital form I can take simply… technical advances.”

“Like leave out the weapon but if you see a nifty new trigger we can keep it?” Scarlett cocked an eyebrow. She hadn’t considered that.

“Nothing that will increase the odds of anyone harming anyone else, but rather making lives simpler and helping technology progress.”

“For now, let’s keep this between us, Fitz.” Scarlett sighed and gave him a curt nod. Any… advances you’re interested in come through me. I have to approve it and Refuge gets part of the copyright.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it any other way.” Proud that he’d found a loophole in Scarlett’s conscience, Leo continued talking. His excitement was palpable and Scarlett couldn’t help but share in it even if only a little. Before she knew it her time was up and Jemma was back to remove her IV. Afterward her vitals were taken again, she was asked a thousand questions about how she felt and then was ultimately released.

Clutching the file under her arm, Scarlett held it close, name hidden as best as she could. The weather was a gloomy gray outside but the rain still held back. She chatted for a few minutes in the hallway with Mickey who had left instructions for a driver to pick Scarlett up and return her to Refuge for the day.

Much to Scarlett’s relief, the steps outside the S.H.I.E.L.D. building were abandoned. The air was warm and threatened rain. Most people walking past on the sidewalk held a precautionary umbrella. The black town car waited for her at the end of the expansive sidewalk, past the row of flags that stood in front of the building.

“Miss Damien! Miss Damien, may I have a moment of your time?”

Scarlett didn’t stop walking but did grumble in irritation.

“Miss Hendricks I am beginning to worry about your lack of a social life.” Scarlett addressed the petite reporter without looking at her.

“I’m working Miss Damien.”

“Sure, sure.”

“What was your secret meeting with S.H.I.E.L.D. about? Does this have something to do with your past perhaps?”

“There is no secret meeting.” Scarlett laughed as the driver got out of the car and walked around to open the door for her.

“Then where is my competition?” Dianne argued with a smile.

“It’s no secret I’m not a fan of the press, Miss Hendricks. I avoid you whenever possible.”

“You didn’t answer my questions. What was your secret…”

“It’s not a secret just like the last ten times I came here it wasn’t a secret. Just like the last three dinners I’ve had with Nathan weren’t dates. I’m working on a business deal, just like I always am. It's always business. You people are always searching for something that isn't there.”

“Is that what the file is for? A business deal?”

“As a matter of fact it’s filled with contracts.” Scarlett lied through her teeth. She’d always been a good liar. Dianne’s eyes flitted toward the supposed contracts and then back to Scarlett who shifted the folder in her arms and held it against her chest. “Is there anything else?”

“Yes, actually! I’ve heard that you’re considering taking a deal with Tony Stark. Is there any truth to that?”

“That is the first good question you’ve asked in a long time.” Scarlett placed her hand on the open door of the car while the driver stood patiently and silently nearby. “I don’t have an answer for anyone yet, not even Tony Stark but yes I am considering his offer very seriously. It would be an honor to work with such a brilliant mind but Malibu is quite the trek to do some work when I have plenty to do here in Boston.”

“So, what you’re telling me is that you haven’t made a decision.”

“That’s exactly what I told Stark and exactly what I’m telling you. Now can I go?” Scarlett tapped the door and Dianne sat there, contemplating for a moment whether or not to let her leave without more questions. She rather liked Scarlett. While the newbie celebrity generally blew off the press she had always made the time for Dianne and her little underground paper. Dianne considered it to be one of the most reputable news outlets available. They never printed what wasn’t true! Those days, that wasn’t very popular amongst most of the media. No one was buying the truth.

“I’ll ask one more time. What is it with S.H.I.E.L.D? What do you do here?” Dianne seemed oddly concerned. Scarlett tilted her head curiously.

“Look, I don’t mind giving you the story most of the time. You’re a good reporter, Miss Hendricks. I like the stories you print and most of them are credible and right on the money. But this… this is something you stay out of. There’s nothing going on here. Sometimes what you see is really what you get. This was just… a business meeting with S.H.I.E.L.D. These government types? They like to be real secretive. Makes them feel special or something.” Scarlett waved her hand toward the building. “Don’t mess with S.H.I.E.L.D. They’ll bury you and your little paper.”

“Are they burying you?” Dianne glanced at the folder she held again and looked back to Scarlett, alarm thick in her gaze.

“No.” Scarlett smiled just enough then cleared her throat and spoke louder. “I’ve given you more time today than any of the media outlets this week that paid for my time so until we meet again. Miss Hendricks.” Scarlett nodded her head politely and got into the car.

Dianne brushed her short straight hair away from her face as the wind blew it to block her vision. At least her visit hadn't been completely fruitless. She’d caught a name on the top of that folder.

Scott Aaronson.

It could have been a contract, but Dianne had the distinct feeling it was not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tony Stark, Iron Man, SHIELD, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and everything about the Marvel Universe belongs to Marvel! I claim no ownership of these lovely characters or their back stories. However, I do own several of the original characters, including Scarlett Damien, Scott Aaronson and a few more that will be introduced throughout the story. Mickey Pierce belongs to tbdoll and Jinx belongs to perkidanman.