Status: Updated Fridays

Echoes

Intermission

Against all odds, Tony had an incredibly productive week. He'd worked harder than he'd worked in months and felt pretty damn good about it. If he had known that it would feel so damn good he would have gotten back to work ages ago. It didn't matter how long he'd waited. What mattered now was that he felt accomplished for the first time in forever.

No matter how much he'd built in his basement, how much he'd developed since he'd returned from Manhattan he'd never felt it was good enough. It was partially why he couldn't sleep. Well, one of the tens of thousands of reasons his brain avoided rest. Why should he sleep when there was still so much to do? So much to prepare for? He could sleep fitfully when it was a job well done. While that hadn't been true, it had been one of the rationalizations that had at least made sense to him along the way. Tony may not have completely understood whatever phenomenon he was going through, but he was beginning to make his way out of it.

Maybe he didn't have to understand.

Maybe all Tony had to do was survive. It was like any other battle, simply with less fireworks involved.

Now it was Friday. Technically the work week would be ending soon. No one would want to be bothered with him on a Saturday, at least not for business. So Tony found himself at a standstill. Twiddling his thumbs. What did he used to do in times like this?

That's right.

He'd cancel every Friday meeting, have Pepper reschedule it until the next week and then find something fun to do instead. But what was there to do? Could he really blow off the rest of his day just to have a good time. Vegas wasn't that far. Gambling was always fun.

Right?

Gambling would draw attention to Tony. He loved attention. Sort of. People would ask where he's been. They would ask why he's been hidden away. Honestly, Tony didn't have answers for them. How could he answer a question like that for the media, for the people, when he didn't even truly understand the answer himself? Scarlett had told him it was post traumatic stress disorder. But was that true?

He'd thought about it a hundred times since he'd met her that last weekend. Since then he'd tossed over whether it was or not just as many times. Jarvis had helped him narrow down the symptoms and research a bit, but still it didn't seem right. How could he, of all people, be suffering from an anxiety disorder? Tony Stark didn't have anxiety.

Did he?

"Ugh," Tony grumbled, wiping his hands over his face as he flopped backwards onto the couch. Arm draped lazily over his eyes he sat in silence and considered again what he could do that wouldn't completely drive him up the wall for the rest of the night. Maybe he'd find something for the whole weekend even. He could take a trip somewhere maybe. Wouldn't that irritate Pepper though? For him to take a vacation without his girlfriend? She didn't much feel like his girlfriend right now anyway so what did it matter?

She'd spent so much time with Happy lately that it was more like she was his girlfriend and not Tony's. That didn't bother him as much as it probably should have, but still he knew he'd catch hell for not inviting her somewhere.

Even more disappointing, Tony considered as he reflected on his week, was that Scarlett had not gotten back to him as promised. He'd been worried about her after reading so many articles concerning her health. But at the same time he had spoken to her the very night of the incident reported in the papers and she seemed just fine. What right did he have to worry about her anyway? As many times as he tried to convince himself she was a complete stranger and he should stop thinking about her, he had also talked himself into thinking it was okay. They were going to work together, of course he should be concerned!

Then again she hadn't really responded to him either. Maybe they wouldn't work together. What if she did turn down his offer? Wouldn't he have to back down eventually? Tony couldn't consider it. They were meant to work together. He knew it. Or maybe he just wanted it.

No.

Tony didn't really believe in destiny, fate, or any of that nonsense. He was a man of science, of logic, ultimately. People made their own fates, designed their own destiny with the choices they made. Yet, there was this stupid nagging voice in the back of his head that repeatedly told him he needed to work with this woman. Maybe he just wanted it in the worst way. Who knew? He certainly didn't. Tony wasn't very good at not getting his way and while he very well could have chalked this up to him being stubborn, it wasn't what it felt like. Tony felt this was more of a need than a want.

"Hey Jarvis."

"Yes, Mr. Stark. Should I dim the lights? Is it nap time?"

"No." Tony laughed and sat up on the couch with a grunt. "I hate this stupid couch." He grumbled then continued. "What is Scarlett up to today? Any reports of anything anywhere?" Tony half expected Jarvis to object to his snooping but instead the computer did just as he was told. "Also start looking for new couches. I hate this thing. It's too squishy."

"Is that not a desirable quality in a couch, sir?"

"It's too squishy. Every time I lay on it I get trapped. It's like a cloud Jarvis, a cloud and I can't sit and get work done on a cloud."

"Message received, sir. The couch is so comfortable it's like sitting on a cloud."

"God, you're a jerk. Who programmed you?"

"I do believe it was you, sir."

"Sounds about right." Tony pinched the bridge of his nose. "So, did you find out what she's up to or do I have to do it myself? You know how I feel about doing it myself…"

"Reports are that she's got tickets to a special theater event in Boston this evening."

"Is it with that gross actor guy?"

"Reports don't mention that he's gross, but yes it appears that Nathan Richardson will be reprising his role as Hamlet for a good cause. There will be quite the gathering of celebrities tonight. They're raising money for the arts."

"One of those… things where rich people eat, drink, and be merry under the guise of charity, right?"

"Yes, it appears so. You do take all the romance out of it." Tony flipped through the tabloid reports for the evening planned ahead and pondered his own night. "Here's the theater, sir." The page was blown up behind the reports Tony thumbed through and he pulled it closer at once. They were on the contact page already. If Tony didn't know better he would have thought Jarvis was trying to set him up. He'd already been considering it, but he hadn't been entirely convinced to put his plan into action yet. Wouldn't it be crossing a line to crash her party like that? Then again, it wasn't her party to crash. The odds that he would be invited to such an event were pretty high too! For all Scarlett knew, he was already on the list.

Tony looked to the clock. It was a long flight from Malibu to Boston, but if he left immediately and got ready on the plane then he could make it before the curtain. What was it they said about being fashionably late?

"How many strings do you think I'll have to pull to make this happen?" Tony muttered, tapping his finger upon his knee.

"At the risk of inflating your ego, sir, I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that the theater would be thrilled by your patronage and bend over backwards to have you."

"Alright, alright! You sweet talked me into it." Tony stood and walked out of the living room. "I need a new suit." He avoided going into his bedroom ever since Pepper left. It wasn't that he would be reminded of her but rather of the nightmares that plagued him. In fact, he was thinking of renovating and rearranging the entire second floor of the mansion. If it would help him move on then he was more than happy to spend the money. "Jarvis, let the pilot know I'm on my way. I've got a party to crash."

In Boston, Scarlett fidgeted in her seat.

Yep. Shakespeare was still boring.

Scarlett had never been a fan and it turned out, even with actors she had a fondness for, she still wasn't a fan. Yes, of course, the tale was a classic debate of conscience, murder, and betrayal but it was so damned boring. The first act seemed to drag on for an eternity. While she pretended to be interested in the play, she found her thoughts drifting.

Natasha had shown up to shadow her for no reason. She wasn't even sure that S.H.I.E.L.D. had sent her of if her friend was there simply out of fear. It wasn't like Natasha to be scared so Scarlett couldn't really be sure. Time had changed the Black Widow. Suddenly she had feelings and a conscience and all of that. Scarlett had known her when her moral compass was still finding its way out of being a brainwashed killer.

Scarlett had never needed brainwashing to do her job; she'd always enjoyed it. Not that killing had gotten her off! No, it was more the danger, the thrill. She'd always been bored so easily. Things would change for her now too. They already were. There was no avoiding change. It came for each of them.

Scarlett suddenly felt guilty. It was a very common feeling for her these days.

She'd been hard on Natasha.

Maybe she should apologize. Scarlett looked over her shoulder and toward the exit and wondered where the Black Widow was now. Scarlett was touchy. Everyone was questioning her capabilities in every aspect. The story about her being sick had scared her more than she let on. It was too close to the truth and she didn't want to be treated the way the people at S.H.I.E.L.D. treated her. If anyone else knew about it that would change. Scarlett had enough of change for now.

If anyone else knew she vowed she would disappear.

She couldn't sit idly by and watch the world go on without her any longer. For awhile she'd been content to find some normalcy after all the bad. After being attacked by Scott and then having to kill him. Then finding out what he'd done to her… Scarlett had been terrified. In a panic she'd gone to Natasha who had led her to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Handing over the reins to her future had been easy in that moment. It had almost been a relief to have someone else take care of her for a change. But now, as she sat watching the actors on stage in front of her she felt a little like them.

She felt like a puppet.

Someone else was writing the script and she was forced to read the lines and pretend to be someone she never was. It was like a play and she was sure the final act would come before she was ready for it. Scarlett had never been one to follow orders.

Maybe it was time to throw the script out the window, at least partially. When she'd been given Scott's file the other day it had been a step in the right direction. It was then and there that she decided that she was going to pursue him on her own. In her spare time she would do the research and get ready for a fight. MedCo wasn't going to leave her alone simply because S.H.I.E.L.D. wanted them to. Natasha couldn't protect her forever. And honestly, Scarlett didn't want Natasha to protect her.

If MedCo was hunting her down then she was going to return the favor. They'd come for her again. She knew it. When they did? This time she would plant a tracker on them. Even if her assailants didn't return directly to MedCo they had to go somewhere. Scarlett would take that information and run with it. Feeling more confident, Scarlett relaxed a bit in her seat at last. She clapped with the crowd as the lights came back on to signal it was time for intermission.

Perhaps she should go greet Nathan backstage. Scarlett didn't really want to. Instead she considered letting Natasha in on her plans. The Black Widow was still her friend. Even if she broke all the rules she knew Natasha would be there waiting to help. She didn't seem to make that very obvious these days, but it was only out of fear. Fear. The damn thing was palpable when she was with Natasha. They didn't want to lose each other.

As scared as Natasha was she still knew what Scarlett was capable of. She was sure the Black Widow wouldn't let her work alone, but she would recognize good ideas when she saw them even in the face of fear. At least that's what Scarlett hoped.

The crowd around her bustled and moved. Most people got out of their seats to either use the restroom or to get a drink. Others did so to mingle. The production would be back in a few minutes so Scarlett didn't see the point. Besides, it was kind of nice to enjoy the theater with the lights on and no Shakespeare.

She glanced up at the ceiling and admired the architecture. It was intricate, but in desperate need of restoration. That was partially why they were there. Before they'd sat down for the production they'd been asked to write a check for the theater. There was a great after school program open to the neighborhood for the arts there as well. Scarlett actually liked this theater. She personally hoped Nathan didn't buy it.

"I thought you were going to call me." Suddenly the person seated next to Scarlett was talking to her. She recognized the voice at once and her treacherous train of thought at last ceased.

What on earth was Tony Stark doing at a small Boston benefit? Scarlett knew exactly what he was doing there. She didn't bother looking over at him and instead turned her attention back to the stage. Any minute the players would be returning for the final act.

"I've been a little busy. I didn't take you for a wait-by-the-phone type of guy." Scarlett responded but even as she spoke she couldn't help but smile even if it was only a little. Tony was fun. Which was dangerous, but still. What wasn't dangerous for her these days? Jinx's prediction ran through the back of her mind again and she mentally cursed. There was no way any of that card reading nonsense could be true. Scarlett glanced again at the ceiling. She hoped the theater wasn't going to collapse. It was old after all and the only thing consistent about Jinx's predictions had been a collapse. Now she was being silly.

"I'm not, but I'm not known for my patience either." Tony's gaze followed hers to the ceiling but he saw nothing of note. "Jeez, they should paint up there…"

"I suppose that's fair." Scarlett shrugged and for a moment there was silence between them. How did he manage to get the exact seat next to hers? Was it on purpose? Was she over thinking again? What were the odds that he had come to this benefit in Boston just to see her? She didn't want to seem overly cocky and just assume. It was quite the coincidence though.

"When we were on the phone the other night you didn't mention you'd just come back from the hospital." Tony was turned in his seat toward her. He unbuttoned his suit jacket and rested his elbow on the back of his seat.

"It didn't seem worth mentioning." Scarlett rolled her eyes. Of course he was there, seated next to her, on purpose. How could she have doubted it for even a second?

"I asked why you were awake at such an hour. You still didn't mention it. That makes it relevant."

"And I told you I couldn't sleep. I wasn't lying."

"You didn't say it was because you passed out somewhere earlier." Tony pointed an accusatory finger. She still wasn't looking at him and he was okay with that. It gave him time to drink her in guilt free. Coming to Boston that night had not been a mistake. That donated money was well worth the prize he was getting in return. Scarlett looked amazing. He didn't look so bad himself, or at least he thought so. When he wanted to, he could make every woman in that theater swoon. That had been exactly what he'd been hoping for that night, though it was only the one woman he wanted swooning. Oddly enough, the guilt Tony had felt the week before was lessening dramatically.

"You are turning out to be quite the gossip."

"You have no idea." Tony chuckled. "So what is it then?"

"What is what?"

"Are you pregnant with that theater guy's kid? That was a really popular theory."

"What?" Scarlett gasped and turned at last in her seat to face Tony. He looked better than he had the week before. More like the man she'd seen in the papers for years, but even more than that. There was life in his eyes that were a startling brown. She hadn't noticed that the last time. He'd seemed so lost, his eyes so dark. Now they were sparkling, dripping with honey.

"Should I say it slower? Are… you… knocked… up?" Tony glanced at her stomach, leaning up out of his chair. "You don't look like you are but I know those first few months are kinda tricky…"

"God no, I am not pregnant." Scarlett laughed. "I hadn't heard that one, Christ." She held her hand to her chest and fanned herself. Did people really think that could be true? Man, what some people would believe.

"That's a relief."

"Oh, really?"

"You can't keep wearing dresses like that if you're knocked up."

"I will wear whatever I damn well please whenever I want." Scarlett corrected him. "Regardless of my size and state."

"Well yes, and please, by all means, do." Tony held his hand up defensively. "I just meant that dresses for pregnant women generally don't dip that low."

"I'm not pregnant." Scarlett reclined in her seat and crossed her legs and her dress fell over her leg. Tony watched with a smile. "And it's not that low."

"Still relieved." Tony didn't turn away. "So what is it then? Overworked?"

"I am far from overworked. Do I look overworked?"

"No, you look fantastic."

"That answers your question then. Next."

"Secret illness, then? I didn't love that one but it was there."

"Really, Stark?" Scarlett did her best to look incredulous. Why did he have to peruse the rumor mill? Was it really necessary? The media had taken enough of a toll on her already that week without his help. Yet, she was actually enjoying herself for the first time that night since Natasha had rained all over her parade. Hopefully she could get him off of the rumors eventually. They could pick up where they left off after having drinks the other day. There was no reason anyone should interrupt her this time. Except for maybe Nathan. But who cared? Nathan didn't seem important right now.

"What about secret government meetings? I hear they're testing you or something. Are you a super soldier?"

"You know my press better than I do. I hadn't heard that one either."

"Just tell me. I'm really curious!"

"Obviously!" Scarlett scoffed but still smiled. "It's no one's business but my own. I'm just fine."

"Alright." Tony sighed heavily.

"Good."

"Are you sure you're not pregnant?" Tony spoke after a moment of silence, his hand on his chin, desperately trying not to crack a grin.

"Look, if you were jealous of Nathan then maybe you should have brought your girlfriend as a distraction." Scarlett accused but this time Tony didn't miss a beat.

"I'm not jealous. Not even a little. My eyes are just naturally a tiny bit green, look." Tony pulled on the skin beneath his eye and blinked purposely.

"Oh, stop it!" Scarlett laughed but then stopped. "What the hell, your eyes are a little green." She leaned a little closer to get a better look.

"I wasn't kidding. I'm not a liar, Scarlett."

"Regardless." Scarlett leaned back in her seat and sat up straight. The lights flashed overhead, signaling the intermission was coming to an end. Scarlett was slightly disappointed. She was finally having fun and at last she wanted a drink. Drinking with Tony was bound to be fun and a little dangerous. She was more than okay with those odds.

"I can see how you would think that I'm jealous though. I mean, who wouldn't be with that dress."

"How many times are you going to mention my dress?"

"Until you explain it."

"The show is about to start, it's time for you to shush." Scarlett held her finger to her lips and watched the stage as the lights went off in the theater.

"I don't shush."

"The show is coming back, shush."

"Fine, fine. But work on that explanation or I'm going to make one up for you. It'll be way naughtier than yours, I'm sure." Tony only quieted because the crowd around him had died down. The stage came to life before him. Rolling his eyes, Tony leaned on his elbow and watched the show as it progressed. But only for a minute.

Sure, Nathan was a good enough looking guy. He was a bit young though, at least Tony thought. Scarlett was more suited for someone a bit older, a bit more mature… perhaps with more experience. Shifting in his seat, Tony turned his gaze to Scarlett who was apparently paying rapt attention to the scene in front of her. He turned back to the show and tried to do the same.

Nathan was good. Convincing.

Damnit.

Tony had hoped he'd see something to make fun of besides his British accent but was finding that the man was actually pretty talented. Still, something else caught his eye. Scarlett was tapping her fingers on the arm of her chair. She appeared to be watching the show, but she was bored! She was bored!

Her fancy actor beau was boring her.

"So, what do you see in this guy?" Tony leaned over the arm of his chair to whisper to Scarlett who leaned a bit away, startled by him in her personal space. She placed her finger to her lips to silence him and turned back to the show. He wasn't really still talking, was he? Scarlett couldn't believe it. Like this show wasn't going slow enough, now she had to deal with this! Thankfully he seemed to at last get comfortable in his seat. The minutes dragged on and Tony's voice cut through the silence again. "I guess he's… tall." Tony whispered, hand over his mouth to block his lips from the stage. He didn't want to interrupt the show but he did want to interrupt Scarlett.

"Yeah, I like him because he's tall. Shush." Scarlett swatted at him.

"No, I mean, many guys are tall. That's not a good enough reason."

"Haven't you heard? I sorta sleep with everyone."

"What? No! I hadn't heard." Tony could tell she was being sarcastic but he was going to run with it. "Does that include the ladies? Because I heard also the ladies. And I know I shouldn't think about it too hard but god I hope it's true."

"Shush."

"I mean, rumors are one thing but they say you're dating this guy. What makes him so much better than all the other tall guys? Or tall ladies for that matter?"

"Tony." Scarlett began threateningly. The person on Tony's other side had taken notice. So had the person on Scarlett's right. They were leaning forward curiously to try and hear more of it. They were in the front row, someone on stage was going to notice soon enough. This was very embarrassing.

"I mean, yeah he's above average height but… Is height really what matters, Scarlett?"

Suddenly Scarlett stood up. Crouched low, she turned to her neighbor and whispered an apology. The man there nodded in understanding. Then Scarlett grabbed Tony's hand and pulled him out of his chair with surprising force. He was about to ask what they were doing but she looked at him with such annoyance and ferocity that he already knew what was happening.

"I'm in trouble." Tony whispered to the man at the end of the row as Scarlett dragged him down the aisle and toward the back of the theater.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tony Stark, Iron Man, SHIELD, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and everything about the Marvel Universe belongs to Marvel! I claim no ownership of these lovely characters or their back stories. However, I do own several of the original characters, including Scarlett Damien, Scott Aaronson and a few more that will be introduced throughout the story. Mickey Pierce belongs to tbdoll and Jinx belongs to perkidanman.