The Weight

Betrayal

I was my JOB to keep him in line. To make sure he didn't get too drunk, make himself look like an ass or try and leave every convention with some fan-girl who could NEVER add up to his beautiful wife. But sometimes he liked mixing business with pleasure and it didn't take long for my amazing job, babysitting an actor, to fall through my fingers.

I was told it was better to fall asleep with him on the couch rather than some random chick he would later come to find he accidentally impregnated. Hell, those words were spoken by his wife! It wasn't until we laid on the couch (in my defense I was there first) and he kissed me in his drunken stupor. I laughed it off.

Crazier things have happened.

Until that morning.

I was confronted by his wife on the set of his show. I was standing at the concession table, grabbing the items he had asked for when out of the corner of my eye I saw her make a bee line towards me. I smiled at her and gave her a cheerful "Good morning!" When she didn't reply, I knew. I knew he had told her about his mistake: kissing the back of my neck was a mistake. I placed the plate back on the table and turned towards her, giving her my full attention.

"I can't believe you!," She placed her hands on her hips and stuck her knee out, "You were supposed to watch him and make sure he didn't do anything stupid, but for some reason you thought it was okay to let him kiss you!"

I raised my hands in defense, "He was drunk, I was there first and he came up behind me and kissed my neck. I made no move to show that I wanted him to continue. That's all that happened, I promise." She stared at me incredulously before shaking her head, "It's nice to know the truth, but I can't take any chances of something else happening. Alexa, you're fired."

I felt my mouth drop open. I began to argue but she held up her hand silencing me, "I'm sorry. Please don't attempt to make him change my mind." All I could do was nod. I watched her stalk away and disappear out of the large metal doors. Disheartened, I picked up the plate again and set off to his trailer. I knocked, expecting her to be there but I was met with a loud "come in!" I entered the large trailer and placed the food on the table. He glanced up at me a big grin on his face, which faltered the moment he saw my expression.

"What's wrong?"

I shrugged, "Long story. Short version, you told your wife that you kissed me, on the neck... because you were drunk, and she confronted me about it and fired me. I'm just going to grab my things and I'll leave."

He sat there quietly, staring at his plate, making no move to stop me. I continued to the back of the trailer and grabbed my duffle bag and began stuffing my belongings back in. I heard him sigh and lightly slam his fists on the table and the footsteps as he reached where I was standing.

I heard him exhale loudly and I turned to look at him. He leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed over his chest, "Alexa, I'm sorry. I knew I made a mistake and instead of letting that mistake come back to haunt me later, I told her. I was being responsible and not hiding it from my wife. I can try and talk to her, at least talk some sense into her.. you're the best PA I've ever had, and I don't want to lose you as a friend either..."

I could feel tears welling in my eyes, "Listen, I'm not mad at either of you. It wouldn't be fair. I'm not expecting you to lie to your wife about what happened, okay? It just hurts that something so simple can cause this," I motioned towards the nearly packed bag, "I love you all so much. And don't worry about talking to her. She already told me her mind was made up. I'll just finish packing my things and I'll leave."

He stood there for a few minutes watching me. I felt his eyes on me, watching as I packed, and I made sure I had everything. Satisfied, I grabbed my bag and turned. I was surprised to see him standing so close to me and when he held out his arms... I dropped my bag and let him embrace me. This man has the best hugs and it's always an honor to hug him.