Status: Two-Shot

Well Worth the Wait

Little Peanut

Elle looked at the shelf above the fire where she had spent the past 30 minutes rearranging photographs, candles and other bits and bobs. Her favourite photograph in hand, she smiled at the picture of her and Cam. It had been two and a half years since she had told him she was in love with him on the morning of the big charity event, and two and a half years since he had told her the exact same thing. From that point things had been amazing. They were so in love and everyone could see that Cam adored every inch of her. Of course they had their fights but who didn't right?

Now here she was unpacking the boxes of their things into their brand new home. Elle remembered the day Cam had told her he was being traded as if it was yesterday, when in reality more than 6 months had passed. He had come round to her apartment when she had finished work that day and as soon as he walked through the door, she knew something was wrong. They had even been talking about finding a house together right in the suburbs of New York. But that had changed that day.

"Cam...?" Elle had heard him come through the front door but instead of calling out for her as he usually did, she had to go and find him.

"Cam...I spoke to the estate agent today..." She trailed off when she saw him sitting on her couch with his head in his hands. Baxter, the puppy Cam had bought her for her birthday a couple of months ago, sat at his feet.

"Cam...? Babe, what's wrong? Has something happened?" Elle sat down next to him but he remained silent.

"Cameron," Elle took his hands away from his face and held them in her own. Cam's head still drooped down. "Babe, look at me, please tell me what's happened".

Cam lifted his head and looked at her. His eyes were wet with tears, causing Elle's heart to twinge at the sight of them.

"I've been traded Elle". He whispered.

Elle gasped. "What?" She knew he loved his team. They had thought his position was secure and his contract was about to be renewed, but obviously wasn't the case.

"I've been fucking traded baby. I'm going to Alberta." Cam said. His eyes searched her face. "Just when we talked about moving in together and now I'm leaving. I feel like I've only just got you and now I'm moving miles away. We'll just have to try and make this work. I just love you so much. This fucking sucks". Cam continued to ramble on and Elle couldn't believe her ears. Tears leaked from his eyes and Elle's heart broke. If he thought she was letting him go now, he was sadly mistaken.
Elle didn't say anything, instead she picked up her phone from the coffee table and dialled the number of her boss. Cam watched her every move.

"Hey Craig, its Elle." She never broke eye contact with Cam as she spoke down the phone. She placed her hand in one of his big ones and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Yeah, he's just told me now. So I guess it won't come as a shock when I say I'm handing my notice in." Cam's eyes widened as he realised what she had just said. "I know, and I'm so grateful for the past four years, but believe me when I say I'm going with Cam to Alberta. I'm not about to let the man I love walk away from me that easily". She grabbed Cam's hand. "Thanks so much Craig. See you tomorrow". And with that she hung up.

"What are you doing Elle?" Cam asked her.

"You just heard what I'm doing Cam. I'm not letting you walk away from me that easily, so I'm coming with you. No arguments. I'll get a job in Alberta, and we'll find our perfect home together there. Like I said baby, I'm all yours, always." Tears gathered in Elle's eyes and Cam cupped her face in his hands.

" I didn't ask you to babe, you don't have to do this".

"You didn't need to ask Cam. And if you did, I would have said yes in a heartbeat. So I do have to do this. For me and for us." Elle cupped his face in her hands and kissed him on the lips. "I love you so much Cam".

"I love you too Elle" Cam gave her another sweet kiss and pulled her into his arms.

Over the next six months, they had purchased their dream home, Elle had found a job with a PR company in the city and they had both packed up their apartments.

Elle was unpacking the final room of the house with Baxter running around the place while Cam had gone to the stadium where he would meet the coach and the rest of his team. After placing the final candle on the shelf, she walked over to her purse and pulled out the final item for the shelf.

The custom made frame was beautiful and she had had it made to fit with the rest of the decor of the lounge. Inside the frame was a black and white fuzzy image. The words etched into the frame simply stated the words 'Our Little Peanut'. The butterflies in Elle's stomach grew. She hadn't told Cam yet, but wanted to surprise him instead. She had been feeling nauseous for the past few weeks but thought nothing of it. When they had registered with a new Doctor, she had made an appointment to have a regular check up as she often did at home. It hadn't even crossed her mind that she could be pregnant at all, but when the doctor confirmed that she was around 10 weeks, she couldn't help but be excited. Cam had always mentioned them having kids, and he was great with kids, so Elle hoped he was as pleased as she was. She had had the scan purposely so she could reveal it to him like this. She placed the frame in the empty spot on the shelf and grinned, if he was observant to what she had done, he would notice it was a new addition. In more ways than one.

Elle glanced at the time. "Now then little peanut..." She placed a hand on her stomach. "Daddy will be home soon, let's get this last box unpacked and start making dinner". Baxter barked at her feet. "You too mister, come on".

Two hours later, dinner was in the oven and all the boxes had been removed from the lounge. Elle was watching television when she heard Cam's car pull into the drive. She glanced at the scan picture on the shelf and smiled as the door clicked open.

"Babe, I'm home!" Elle wasn't quite used to the greeting Cam gave. They'd only been in the house two weeks but it was all new.

"I'm in the lounge" She replied as she heard Cam drop his bags in the hallway.

"Something smells delicious," Cam stated as his head came through the lounge door. "Hey baby, miss me?" He flung himself down onto the couch next to her and leant in for a kiss.

"Always," She replied when he pulled away. "Hungry? I made chicken".

"Mm, sounds good, I'm starved". Cam snuck one more kiss as Elle stood to go get some food. "You look hot babe".

Elle turned on her way to the kitchen and looked down at her outfit, which consisted of one of Cam's t-shirts tucked into some old denim shorts. "Yeah, right" she scoffed and continued her pursuit to the kitchen.

As she was in the kitchen she shouted back through to the lounge as she gathered plates and took the food out of the oven.

"You never said you missed me babe. Did you?" Instead of a reply she was greeted with silence so she shouted again. "Cam?" After being met by silence once more, she put down the plates and went through to the lounge to check if Cam had fallen asleep as he often did when he came home.
However, on this occasion she found Cam not asleep but stood up in front of the fireplace. He was looking closely at the photo of the scan. Her stomach flipped and she felt tears sting her eyes.

"Is that...what I think it is?" He said softly. Cam turned around and saw her at the door. He stretched his hand out for her to take. Elle moved closer to him and intertwined her fingers with his, without saying anything.

"Is that a baby?" Cam whispered taking one last glance at the scan and turning to look Elle square in the face. "Our baby?"

Elle just nodded. A smile creeped its way onto Cam's face and Elle felt a wave of relief.

"Oh my god, Elle. Are you saying we're having a baby? For real? Am I really going to be a daddy?" Cam's eyes were shining as he looked at Elle. It was possibly tears, but it was love too. Definitely love.

"Yes babe. You're going be a daddy. I'm 10 weeks." Elle whispered cupping her hand to the side of Cam's face. Tears dripped down her face as Cam grinned and pulled her towards him. He crashed his lips to hers, lifted her off the ground and spun her round. Elle giggled as she pulled away.

"This is the best day. I love you so much baby!" Cam set her on the ground laughing and sank to his knees in the lounge. He lifted her shirt and bunched it up around her bra.

"Cam, what are you..." Elle trailed off as she realised what Cam was about to do. Instead of finishing her sentence, she simply wound the fingers of one of her hands into the hair at the back of his head and took the shirt from his hands in the other, holding it up for him.

"Hey baby" Cam said quietly, hands clutching her hips. "I don't know if you can hear me, but I'm your daddy. Mommy and I can't wait to meet you little peanut. We love you so much already. And I love your mommy so much its indescribable". Cam placed a kiss to the right of Elle's belly button and looked up at her with loving eyes.

Elle took the hand from Cam's hair, grabbed one of his hands from her hip and placed the both of them onto her stomach, her hand resting on top of his.

"And I love your daddy so much little one, so much". Elle spoke to the growing baby inside of her.

"Thank you baby". Cam gave Elle's stomach one last gentle kiss and pulled her shirt back down before rising from his knees.

"What for Cam?" Elle asked, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"For giving me everything I ever wanted baby. For giving me a chance. For telling me you loved me two years ago. For moving to a different country with me. For being the gorgeous mother of our little baby. For just being you," Cam replied. He snaked his arms around her waist and pulled her close.

"Well then I should thank you too babe. For allowing me to do all those things and for telling me you loved me too. And for this little one right here." She patted her stomach. "For making us into a little family."

The tears were coming again and Cam chuckled as he leant to kiss her properly this time. After a few minutes they pulled away breathless, Cam's stomach grumbled right on cue and Elle giggled.

"So that chicken..." He looked sheepishly at her.

"I'll go warm it up, need to keep my handsome man satisfied don't I?" Elle unlatched herself from Cam and started for the kitchen. Cam swatted her backside lightly causing Elle to squeal.

"Don't forget yours babe. I need to make sure my gorgeous girl is fed now she's eating for two!" Cam shouted as she made her way into the kitchen, hearing her laugh he flopped down onto the couch and looked at the picture on the shelf, smiling.

At this point, both Elle and Cam couldn't think of anything that topped this feeling. It was simply perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Decided to add a little epilogue of sorts after Cam was traded to the Oilers.