Death by Sound

Death by sound

Chicago's mother tapped her fingers restlessly on the arm rest of her chair while Chicago sat beside her, listening silently to the music pouring from his headphones. They sat in silence in the small waiting room, neither talking to the other.
It was a small room with dark blue carpet, a couple chairs against the left wall, a few plants and in the right corner a small woman with brunette hair dressed in a white lab coat sat behind a large oak desk filing papers and answering phone calls.
Suddenly, a tall man also dressed in a white coat walked quickly from a closed door by the lady sitting at her desk. He seemed to be in his mid forties with brown hair that was starting to lose its color, and after glancing around the small waiting room advanced towards Chicago and his mother.
"Hello, Mrs. Davis. And hello Chi-" He stopped suddenly and looked closely at Chicago, his eyes narrowing for a second as he studied him before looking to his right. "Nurse!" He called in a stern serious voice, a contrast to his former tone after he had entered the room. The woman who had been sitting behind the desk answering phone calls stood and walked to him with a metal tray in her hands. She stood beside the doctor and held the tray up to him, silently watching.
"Now, we won't need this anymore." The man said as he took of Chicago's headphones and placed them and the CD player attached to them on the metal tray the nurse was holding.
"Now to either of you have cell phones, planners, and any device that can make music?" Both Chicago and his mother pulled out their cell phones and doctor took them and placed them on the tray also. "Okay," he said, "Nurse would you please ready him for the operation."
The doctor took the tray from her and disappeared back into the room he had come from. The nurse dug in one of her pockets and pulled out to think cotton balls. She put both of them in Chicago's ears. Next, she dug in another pocket and pulled out a plastic box. She opened it revealing a long needle, more cotton swabs, and a few other things. She took the needle that was already filled with a pink liquid in one hand and a cotton ball dipped in alcohol in the other and started to sterilize a place on Chicago's head.
"Uh... what's that in the needle?"
"In order to assure that the operation is a success, we have to clear you mind. When I inject this in you it will cause you to go temporarily brain dead. After several moments it will wear off and your mind will be clear of any thoughts of any kind. The cotton is just to help block out sounds."
She injected the pink substance and about twenty seconds later Chicago started to shake terribly. He lost control of his arms. He couldn't move. He couldn't think. After about fifth teen minutes Chicago's began to be able to move. At that point the doctor came from the door once again and called for them to come inside. Chicago and his mother obeyed.
Inside was almost completely white. White walls, white doors, white floor. Three nurses all dressed in white stood around a white dentist like chair in the center of the small room.
"Chicago, if you would, please go sit in that chair over there." the doctor instructed. Once he was seated properly the three nurses started to strap him firmly down to the chair to wear it was nearly impossible to move. The doctor handed Chicago's mother a headphone like device that she was told to put over her ears to protect them from loud sounds. The three nurses and the doctor also put these on. And stepped away from the chair and stood close by the walls.
The doctor pressed a button on the wall and out of two walls speakers of all sizes appeared. At least twenty of them on each wall. After another button was pressed, a terrible sound that resembled a jet making a sonic boom flooded the small room through each speaker, shaking the room. Next was the sound of a thousand pieces of glass being shattered, then car brakes squealing and the sound of vehicles smashing into each other, then the sound of hundreds of bullets being fired.
Chicago was screaming loudly as the sounds entered his unprotected ears. He struggled in his seat, trying to break free from the terrible noise.
Finally after probably ten minutes, the sounds stopped. Chicago was breathing hard and he was covered in sweat. As soon as noise stopped the doctor rushed over to him with a container of blue liquid and poured it quickly down his throat.
"Is he alright? His ears are bleeding..." his mother said as she took of the headphones the doctor had given her earlier.
"He'll be fine. It will take a while for the operations effects to take full effect. He'll suffer massive headaches her about a month. Do not let him take any medicine to stop the headache or any other pain. The pain is part of the successful operation."
"And this will make him stop listening to that terrible music of this that he likes so much?"
"Yes, every time he tries to listen to his music he'll feel enormous pain."

Later that night, in a dark alley in the city loud painful screams stained the night air. Chicago leaned up against the wall for support as severe pain struck his whole body. He was coughing up blood and screaming from the pain.
Through his headphones Norma jean sang to him. The high notes made his heart stop. The low notes made his head feel like it was going to burst. He became too weak to stand and fell on the cement where he laid there coughing up blood and screaming in pain till he didn't have the strength to do either.
The next day when his body was dead body was found, the cops had no idea how he could of died. When they noticed the CD player and his ruptured eardrums, they called it, "Death by Sound."
♠ ♠ ♠
Lol, this was my first ever short story, posted May 16th, 2007 on Quizilla, and now that I look at the way I wrote it the ending reminds me of a scary story you would tell at a sleep over. :P I've been thinking of rewriting this, but just haven't done it yet.
And how did I think of such a weird story? Well,I was with my mom getting my eyes fitted for glasses and I was listening to my mp3 player and I asked my mom if I'd get in trouble for listening to it in the waiting room. and I started thinking about what if the doctor came out and yelled at me. And one thought led to another and I came up with the story. :)
Credits: As for the image, I have absolutely no idea where it's from. I saved it to my computer years ago and have looked all over the Internet for some source and found nothing. The gradient text on the main summary page is a Ray Bradbury quote, and the texture used in the banner can be found here.