Status: In Progress please leave feedback i want it

After the End: The Escape

Within the Walls

Inside the walls is safe and secure and everyone is glad its there and everyone is told that the air is toxic outside and there is always a greenish cloud of toxins outside the gates and everyone is scared to leave.
So no one does I on the other hand want out I have nothing here my mom and died from some dieses when I was just seven when they came to take everything I quickly grabbed what I could which was my dad’s journal and my moms backpack where I found interesting stuff I then hopped out the window and ran away found a nice place and opened my dads journal and a key ring fell out with keys one said wall others were labeled with numbers I started to explore them and they were a nice place to hid.
There was these vents that ran around the entire wall near the gate I found a vent that went over and opened into a room I actual ended up staying here and turning it around that is when I was 9 I had a place for my food and supplies.
When I was 16 I met Sara she was kind of crazy and liked to go to the market and do my kind of shopping it took me a couple months to find out her father was one of the leaders of are society and she hated it being looked up to so I should them both were I live in the wall Sara thought it was cool that I was self dependant so I decided to show her what else I found in the walls a segment of the wall where there are tubs of dirty water that have something in them where a smoke like thing comes out and a fan blows it out threw a grate and plums outside I showed them that t is the entire wall and said I here people down here at like 9 PM every night doing something Sara told me one day when we were both about 18 and we had been hanging more and more and some people in the lower area’s of the settlement knew we were friends and no body told the leaders and higher ups didn’t know anything we kept it a secret.
When she began to spend the night at my place we talked about leaving all the time I always told her I can get into the gates but cant open the outer gate without a code and we always talked about leaving and just running. It was always a dream I guess. Then she found gate codes one day but they were old ones and she told me there was a code I could input into main gate control that would show me current codes and even the next code and when it changes.
We began to talk and decide if she was going to come we needed two bags and hid them in a vent above the gate it was a system that was set up to be a two part there is a room about ten feet by ten feet there is an air duct opening and we stashed two bags we made together that are just supplies for when we leave.
They have 4 cans of food each 3 bottle’s of water and a canteen of water we had some bedrolls on tied on and I have a tarp in my bag and I was able to get some nice knives for each of us and there sharp but how this society works no weapons.
We hid them in the air ducts above the room. I feel like it was just a dream I don’t even know how to get out we cant walk out we would be stopped there is a camera in the room so they would see us if we just slipped in. I still made a plan to get the current code and next one but wanted to plan it all out first and know when I can get to the control.
When I was 20 I found out who was in the room with tubs from 8:30 to 10:30 they are under the wall doing something with tubs so I would aim for 9:30 to find code so I know there gone and on other side of the city and as I moved outside and toward the gate I wore all black like usual and got to the gate and into the room and got to the computer I entered the codes Sara got and found a list and one had a big letter C next to it and then one more below it so I wrote down the codes and stashed them into my pocket and then saw a file that said Camera. Looked at the clock and still had 45 min and saw the gate camera and it ran and the feed was in here and saved somewhere else and found a way to turn it back ten minutes so maybe we could have a way to get out before they saw us before they knew we would be gone.
Then I heard something behind I turned to see the guards and just said “Hi umm I was making sure no one saw you were gone so it looked like you guys were here.” They grabbed me and took me away I guess having camera feeds up wasn’t a good thing They took me and threw me in the gate the only place they can lock me up.
In the morning I was taken to the town center and thrown down in front of everyone with metal cuffs on my wrists and the head of security said “I don’t know who you are we have no records of you except for a few people know you so did you sneak in” “No but I can tell you that your job used to be my dad’s tell he got sick and him and my mom died” “Your Shane” “Its Shady I changed it didn’t like Shane” “Okay well you have broken a rule we had you broke into one of are computers and were looking at the camera’s and trying to open the gate they offence is punishable with Banishment” everyone gasped and started to whisper among each other I looked up to a building and all the leaders were looking down on me and there was Sara I said “Okay what ever anything better than here I have nothing here” “Banishment it is” they took me back and threw me inside the gate and I just sat in the same place and someone knocked on the inside door and said “Okay outside gates are opening leave when your ready” I just hopped up and looked up and say they grate moved and said “Hurry we got ten minutes Intel they see you” “Sara peeked down and said “Here is your bag, My bag.” I sat them down “Catch me know” I helped her down and she looked into the smog and said “You sure its not bad” “Ya its fine” We walked threw and I said “Lets run they will be right behind us we got 3 minutes left and they will send someone” We ran as fast as are legs could carry us and it was barren outside and ground was cracked up.
From what I could tell it was a lakebed a dry lakebed from my dad’s notes we came upon a forest and then I could hear an engine behind us and said, “Quickly hid behind some tree’s it must be a guard.” One guy on a motorcycle came riding up and he pulled his gun out and stopped and said “Okay Shady where is Sara” “Who” “Sara we saw the camera’s and opened the gate and you went there we know you did something to them to get away with her” “I have no idea what your talking about” “Shady ill shoot you right now if you don’t tell me where she is” “im here” She stepped out of the tree’s and he walked toward her and I just Stabbed him in the back of his leg and he fell dropped the gun and Sara grabbed it “Fuck” I grabbed his knife on his side and said “Okay now were leaving with the bike ill leave your knife here” “My gun” “yeah right” We hopped on the bike I revved it up and said “Okay tell Malcolm thanks for the bike” I tried to drive off it was a little wobbly but once I had speed It get more stable.
We just drove threw a forest from what they told everyone this was beautiful and then I saw the sun was going down and I quickly turned off and said “We got to sleep now” “She looked around and said “Okay I think this will be softer then your wall room.” “Haha” I pulled the bike near a tree about twenty feet off the trail and set the tarp up over the bike and around the tree and it was a tent shape and grabbed are bedrolls and we laid down and Sara said “Shady why did you change your name” “What do you mean” “The guard said you were Shane why did you change it” “Well Shane died with his parents that was an old me” “Oh maybe I should change mine” “Maybe so go to sleep get some rest I want to kind of just drive tomorrow” “Okay im a little worried about what’s out here” “Well I kind of know something’s I guess back years ago we were seven the guards left and looked for supplies around the time my died he found a whole place with seeds and fertilizer so they could grow there own food he got sick a week later and another week they were dead.”
“Sorry Shady” “Its ok his journal has info on something’s out here with pictures so we know what they look like I have been reading this thing for years.” “Okay you get some sleep too” “I will I just want to keep an eye out for anything” She fell asleep a few minutes later and I just watched the woods and darkness.” I pulled they tarp down more so we were completely covered and fell asleep for a few hours and then morning came and I talked about walking the bike a little ways threw the tree’s tell we find another road cause this one goes straight to the walls and exactly where they will drive to find us by now the guard has gotten back and they know she isn’t coming back on her own.
We found a small trail and hopped on the bike and drove and I had given Sara the journal and she was reading it and talked in my ear and said “Shady this trail is on here I think your dad said in here that it is a dirt bike trail he thinks and it leads to a place where people camped before and there is then a main road that leads to a bigger road.” “Okay lets hope is there anything about an old town or city” “Yeah there is a small town your dads notes say its rundown but they said supplies were always good but was running low” “Proudly nothing there now been over fifteen years since he wrote that in.” Okay so wont that be somewhere they will check” “no they will have to figure out which way we went from main road and It will be somewhere to settle down for awhile” We came out into a open space and I said “This is proudly the campground” “Yeah so lets keep going” We just drove and drove hours past and we finally got to a huge road with cars stopped all along it but a trail had been opened up for a bike at least and I said “So which way is that town.” “Book says “North” “okay lets go” It too about ten minutes Intel we saw a road leading off this one and to a few buildings and we came up on it and looked around I saw one building that looked nice it had two stories and we pulled the bike inside and up the stairs with us so no one can see it or steal it. Set up the bedrolls and pulled out a can opened it and ate it Sara kind of choked up a bit “Sorry its not good I know but we got to find something else” “Its ok its just a shock and drastic change” “Well im going to go out my dad’s journal said there are some creatures that are edible there is a hunting store maybe some supplies left.” I walked out of the building and closed the door and stuck stuff in front of it to make sure it looked like no one was in there.
It was down the street a little and the windows were busted in and door torn down I walked in and almost nothing left I found couple things like a camping stove it was like a small tank and it made gas come out and you lite it on fire put a little pan on top and cook on it I grabbed it anyway then I heard something moving around I grabbed the gun and loaded it looked around and then a weird little critter came walking by one of the rows and stood there looked at me and it hissed at me and it had a frill that came up as it hissed I just shot at it and the pistol blew part of its head away.
I heard rustling in the back and more hissing but it sounded like they were running like the gunshot scared them. I grabbed its body to check my dad’s journal to see if it was in there and was edible. I moved the rubble away and opened the door and said “Sara you here still please tell me you didn’t leave” “Im here” I walked up and said “This thing was in the store I shot it” “how many times” “Once” So let me see the journal to see if its in there and maybe we can eat it” I grabbed the book and she started with the stove and I said yeah I found three of the canisters to use hopefully it lasts awhile. I read threw the book and saw a picture of one of these creatures but it seemed bigger in the picture. I read up and my dad wrote that you could slice some pieces of it in certain places and cook it.
I sliced it up a bit and cooked it tell it looked okay then we ate it was different but better than the beans we ate earlier. We ate then laid back and rested I walked downstairs to the door to find a ways to barricade so nothing got in while we sleep. We laid there and sleep nice peaceful night and the sun shinned threw the windows and I looked out and cooked up a little more of the lizards my dad’s journal called them Zard’s he wrote about them being pretty harmless alone but very dangerous in large groups. There were a few other creatures he found normally in this area and I had seen a couple just out the window then something disturbed them and they began to scatter and then I saw something it was a hound like creature with black fur and lots of teeth it sniffed around and went into a store and didn’t see it anymore I went down and peeked out the door to are building and saw it in the back sleeping. I heard Sara waking up she said “Shady you here” “Shhh stay quite there is something across the street it scared everything away when it approached I want to see what it is. I read the books and nothing on it I just shook my head and Sara said “What is it” “I don’t know must be a newer to the area” “How big was it” “it was three and a half foot tall on all four legs.” Then I heard something outside I looked and there were five guards from the town I opened the window a bit and said “Hey shhh be quite” He flipped around and started shooting then the rest did the same I jumped down and got Sara on the floor as the bullets shot threw the window and against the ceiling.