Brink of Death

Chapter 4

We made it to the bunker safe, but traumatized. Weatherford had been overrun by walkers that flooded in from nearby towns. People were panicked and recklessly drove away, or hid in their homes. Ambulances desperately tried to save people that crashed, and the police had to keep the walkers at bay while they called the SWAT team in.

Dad had hitched the El Camino to the back of his favorite truck. His 1978 4x4 chevrolet was the thing he cherished most in life besides his family, and he took it mudding every chance he could.

We piled as much of our valuables as we could into the truck, including Boss. I brought my phone and charger just in case, and as many clothes and shoes that could fit in a trash bag. Can't forget the lady products either.

Mom stockpiled water, canned food and dog food into the truck bed. While we were driving to the bunker, she pulled out a 9mm Desert Eagle from the glove compartment, if anything came close to us. Jenny's family followed us, and some of my parents' friends said they'd meet us here.

The bunker was literally in the middle of nowhere in Texas, about an hour away from Weatherford. The door was camouflaged as the dirt and grass, implanted into the ground, and made out of steel.

"Let's bring everything down before people start coming down this highway and see us," Dad suggested.

We were almost a mile from the highway, but we were downhill, so we were easier to see. I started bringing the trash bags of my family's clothes out. I bent down and pulled on the lever to the door. It was really heavy, but I got it.

"Light switch is to the right!" Dad called from the truck.

I went down the stairs, and flipped on the switch. The entire place was steel, even the floors, except it was covered by carpet or wood. The first room I saw was the living room. There was 3 couches by the wall, and a 32in flat screen TV rested on an entertainment system with a 360.

Mom walked in behind me. "No wonder we''re broke!" She huffed. "He spent all our money on this!" She sat Emily down on one of the rugged brown couches.

Dad came in, leading Jenny and Jake inside. "I didn't buy it all. David, Josh, Michael and I split it." He unhooked Boss's leash. He walked to a door and pulled it open, revealing a 10ft patch of grass. "There's even a place for dogs to take shits."

Jenny's parents walked in with the stuff they brought, which was just clothes. Their father, Noah, reached up, grabbed the door handle, and shut the door. The steel slammed shut, and everything from the outside was shut out.

"Everyone else will call when they get here," Dad said. "Go take a look around meanwhile. I'll start putting everything up."

I walked down the living room, which I guessed was made from those steel storage units. There was 3 doors at the end of this unit. I picked the left one, which was the beds. They were bunks, but they all had curtains for privacy. There was at least 12 bunk, for 24 people, possibly more if they shared. There was another door in this room, which led to the bathrooms.

The right door back in the living room was the weaponry and food storage. Dad had stocked up on many types of guns and swords. There was rifles, shotguns, pistols, and assault rifles. Swords and knives hung on the wall. On the other side, there was crates of food. It was mostly canned food, but there was some chips and crackers, etc. Water bottles were on top of the crates.

The final door was just the kitchen, and two dining tables.

This place wasn't so bad for the apocalypse.