Brink of Death

Chapter 6

David pulled over at a pharmacy. It looked mostly untouched. There was no territory marks, and from outside, most of everything on the shelf was there. David scratched his wiry short beard. "I wonder if there's any beer left," He chuckled.

Dad rolled his eyes, and turned to me. "You, Lauren and Anthony go search the store. We'll cover you." He got on top of the truck, and started checking the surroundings.

Lauren was my aunt, but I hardly ever saw her, since she'd been going to college in Georgia. Last I saw her, she had natural brown hair, but she'd dyed it black since then, and gotten a monroe piercing. She was pretty rad if I had to say.

"I'll look for the medicine, I know more about it than you do since I studied it," Lauren told Anthony and I. She readied her pistol and stalked off into the dark aisles, where the sun barely reached in through the windows.

"Guess we'll look for whatever we can find," Anthony shrugged. He started his search, and I was left to look on my own.

I unsheathed the knife I kept in my pocket, in case a walker came out of nowhere. Many necessary items were taken, but there was still some useful things. I hauled two 10lb bags of dog food out to the truck, where David and Jake loaded them. Back inside, I grabbed a filled water jug, women things, and stuffed my bag full of leftover water bottles and candy. Don't blame me, there was nothing else healthy in there, and some of the candy were protein bars.

Lauren returned with her camping bag full of medicines, and Anthony walked out with a first-aid kit and weapons.

"Where did you get those?" Alice asked in awe. She grabbed one of the pistols that Anthony extended to her.

"The offices in the very back. Broke open the window and unlocked the door," Anthony replied proudly. "These were the only things worth taking."

"Good job, kid," David grinned. He slicked back his brown hair and went up to a walker coming our direction, sticking a knife in his head.

"I wonder how it started?" I said, jumping in the truck bed. I took the sniper from Alice, and watched for enemies.

"I'm not sure." Alice slumped down against the side. "It's only been around for about 2 months. There's probably still some states with good amounts of people."

"We should check it out," Anthony suggested. "We can't stay in the bunker forever, and it'll be there when we come back."

"It could take weeks to get to another state, or find civilization," I said. "For all we know, Austin could be clear right now, we don't know."

"I highly doubt that," Jake snorted. "They would've sent help long ago."

"What about the northern states?" I took my eye away from the scope. "Ohio, Montana, Iowa," I listed. "Even New York. I've always wanted to go there."

"Hell no!" Alice stared me dead in the eyes. "That place is going to be crawling with these things and rogues. New York City is off limits!"

I huffed at her response. New York City was my dream, but now all my life plans are ruined, because of this stupid virus.

"It's not a bad idea," Dad chimed in from inside through the open window. "It'd be good to look for more people, maybe start a new civilization."

Josh snickered, filling his pistol's magazine with ammunition. He stuck his head out the window to speak to us, his short bleach blond hair flowing in the wind. "There's likely millions of people left, including all the other countries. Don't worry too much, someone will send help eventually."

"It's been almost two months, Josh," Alice argued. "Help would've arrived by now."

After a few minutes of silence, David said that our trailer was nearby, and we could go stop by it for a moment.

Our former home had been untouched, just like most of the trailer park. People must've been thinking there was nothing worth of value in there.

~~~~