Of Schemes and Kisses

Of Farewells and Choices

Rhaenys stood before the group of her immediate family and smiled at them all. It was the day before her wedding, if she was to choose to be with Robb. Whether she ended up being bound to him and leaving for Winterfell, or fleeing with Jon to an unknown land, this was most likely the last time she was going to be in King’s Landing and surrounded by family. Rhaenys held onto the goblet of wine in her hand with such power her knuckles were turning white, but she knew that she had to say what was on her mind in case she never had another chance.

“Thank you all for coming,” she announced and the chatter died down as everyone focused on her. “I am glad that you all found time to come. This is possibly my final farewell to you all, before the chaos of tomorrow ensues.” A murmur of chuckling spread around the room.

“Get on with it,” Aegon teased her, sensing her nervousness and hoping to aggravate her a bit more. Rhaenys glared at him, though their parents grinned at their son’s playfulness.

“Well I guess I’ll start with you, then,” Rhaenys remarked, turning slightly to face her little brother more directly. “You are a person I will miss a lot, if not the most. I have been with you for your entire life and I love you very much, Aegon. Life will not be the same without you.” Aegon smiled up at her even though sadness swelled in his eyes.

“And I will miss you greatly as well. I will write to you as often as I can,” he promised and Rhaenys grinned, glad to hear so.

“And my dearest uncle Oberyn, and Nymeria, Tyene and Obara… I don’t know how I will cope living so far away from you all, but hopefully we can arrange visits,” she continued, feeling her eyes water at the thought of never seeing them again. “You have all changed my life, shaped me into the person I am today, and I will never forget my time in Dorne with you.” Tyene rose from her chair and swiftly crossed the room to sweep Rhaenys into her arms.

“We’re going to miss you so much,” she breathed before letting go and returning to her seat, the other Dornishmen with stiff jaws and eyes full of mixed emotions.

“And my other uncle, and aunt, who I also treasure,” Rhaenys said while turning to her father’s brother and sister, with their perfect silver hair and eyes of violet, such a contrast to her appearance and heart. “Dany, I will miss talking with you, and Viserys… I…” Rhaenys hesitated, choking up with the thought of what she was about to say.

“What is it?” Viserys questioned as softly as he could manage.

“I just wanted to say before I leave that… Well, if something were to ever happen to my father and brother, although I pray it never does, then I would pass the throne to you,” Rhaenys announced and she noticed Rhaegar tensing out of the corner of her eye. “You are far more prepared than I will ever be, and you would be a good ruler. I know what kind of man you are and I trust you.”

“Rhaenys… Are you certain?” Viserys breathed and she nodded.

“I have never wanted the throne,” she replied to further confirm that her words were honest and Viserys leaned back in his chair, his face showing how shocked he was, but failing to reveal his incredible delight. Margaery extended a hand to clasp his, pleased at the news and wondering if it was her plotting that had caused Rhaenys to become so opposed to taking the throne. Daenerys also relaxed, hopeful that with Rhaenys’ words her brother would stop trying to force her hand. “All I want now is to be happy. I wish to leave King’s Landing and embark on the next leg of my life’s journey. I will go to a new land and start a new life, and that is incredibly exciting. My only regret is that I cannot take some of you with me.” The room fell silent and Rhaenys bit her lip, trying to not cry as she looked around at all of the faces she loved.

“You’re going to be fine without us,” Elia spoke when no one else was able to think of something to reassure the princess with. Rhaenys smiled at her mother and after Elia spotted her daughter’s trembling lip, she shifted forwards to embrace her.

“Now, don’t you want to see what is beneath this cloth?” Rhaegar’s voice boomed, disrupting the highly strung emotions. Rhaenys nodded and Elia wrapped an arm around her again for comfort before Rhaegar gave the cloth a tug, sliding the dark red fabric over the items and tumbling onto the floor. The rectangle table was full of thoughtful presents for Rhaenys to take with her, including luxurious materials for dresses, fruits for the journey, and books for her spare time. But the item that caught her eye the most was the spear lying across the front of the table. She walked up to it and gripped its chestnut shaft with one hand and ran her fingers up towards the shining silver blade with her other hand. Wrapped around the beginning of the blade were a snake and a dragon, twisting and resting their roaring heads together.

“This is beautiful, who-“ Rhaenys breathed while she turned, immediately catching Oberyn’s eye and noticing his knowing grin. Overwhelmed by everyone’s kindness, Rhaenys closed her eyes and began to weep.

Image

Jon sat on a crate of oranges, his foot restlessly tapping the dock as he waited. He had been staring at the Red Keep since morning, watching as people gathered for their glimpse of the princess and her betrothed. Men had been running past him the entire time, shifting crates from the ships and preparing for the grand feast that was going to take place, but everyone had left him and the box of oranges be. His creased forehead and troubled eyes gave away that he was deep in thought and should not be disturbed, the well-crafted sword in his lap only further justifying it. As the minutes and eventually hours passed, Jon grew ever doubtful that Rhaenys was going to show. At first he assumed she simply had not had a chance to slip away from the fuss, but worry soon settled in and only increased as the sun rose higher in the sky.

He was remembering the first time he had seen her, in the throne room as the king was introducing their families to one another, when it happened. Jon was recalling how intriguing he had found her beauty, with little idea of how fascinating her personality was too, when the bells rang. Instead of the repetitive droning tune that would signal a highborn’s death, they sung a cheerful melody, and Jon knew it was over. He had lost.

In the Great Sept of Baelor the bells silenced everyone and they turned their attention to the main entrance. Two figures now stood there: King Rhaegar in his finest red and black robes as the proud dragon, and Rhaenys in her wedding gown. The second attempt of her wedding dress was more appropriate than the last one that Sansa had inadvertently ruined, but Rhaenys was more fond of it in the end. She had retained the white material as it provided a nice contrast with her skin as well as feigning some innocence for her, and outlining the bodice and small shoulder pieces was swirling golden embroidery to emphasise her status. Half of her black hair was wound atop her head in the most complicated braids possible, sitting alongside her golden princess tiara, and the rest trailed down her back in perfected curls. Around her neck hung a three-headed dragon pendant made of gold, Rhaenys not daring to rebel against her father and insist on wearing a speared sun instead.

Once the bells had completed their song, Rhaegar stepped forwards and led his daughter through the parted crowd who all stood and gazed in admiration at the pair. Rhaenys’ eyes darted from side to side, unable to recognise anyone’s faces until she neared the altar. To her left was Varys, who gave a pleased and knowing smile with a nod of his head, and then Petyr Baelish who addressed her with his usual thin-lipped smirk and brooding eyes. After them, on the steps, waited Viserys, Margaery and Daenerys all with perfect poise, and then her mother and Aegon with the most sincere smiles. Rhaenys also took a look to her right and noticed how emotional Catelyn appeared, a contrast to Eddard who held himself with modest content and Sansa who was still stiff and wary. It was only as Rhaegar guided her up the first step that Rhaenys met her betrothed’s gaze for the first time since entering the Great Sept. Robb’s posture was rigid with formality, but she could see beneath his outward composure that he was full of nerves. The arm that had his house’s cloak draped over it was trembling, only noticeable once she joined his side, and his eyes were brimming with concern instead of joy. But Rhaenys couldn’t fault him, as she recognised that she felt the same. On the outside she was a unflustered princess, behaving because all eyes were on her, but on the inside she was possibly more distressed than she had ever been before. Jon’s absence at his family’s side was troubling to Rhaenys, but she tried to flush that thought from her mind. She was making the right decision, she was sure of it.

“You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection,” the High Septon commanded and Robb shifted slightly, flicking out the stunning cloak of grey and green direwolves on a snowy white background to show the audience and prepare it for Rhaenys. She turned to display her back to him and he guided the cloak over her shoulders, the heavy material feeling as though it was about to drop so Rhaenys adjusted it while she repositioned herself to face the High Septon again. Robb reached out and took Rhaenys’ hand, presenting their intertwined fingers to the High Septon who then tied a ribbon around their hands.

“In the sight of the Seven, I hereby seal these two souls,” the High Septon began the ceremony, officially announcing the union of the two anxious young adults before him. “Binding them as one for eternity. Look upon one another and say the words.” Robb turned first, feeling as though the lump in his throat would prevent words from leaving his mouth. Rhaenys hesitated, staring blankly at the High Septon because she had found a trace of doubt in her body. She found the courage to shoo it away and then she angled her body to face Robb who gulped with relief that she wasn’t changing her mind at the last second. They both inhaled deeply and parted their lips, attempting to begin speaking at the same time.

“Father, Smith, Warrior, Mother, Maiden, Crone, Stranger,” they spoke, the corners of their lips curling upwards a little at their nice rhythm.

“I am hers.”

“I am his.”

“And she is mine.”

“And he is mine.”

“From this day,” the couple continued, unable to peel their eyes from each other’s face as it sunk in that the words they were voicing were the truth and binding. “Until the end of my days.” A smile broke through Rhaeny’s lips, her apprehension disappearing now that the most difficult part had passed. The crowd held their applause as Robb took his time shifting their bound hands and pulling Rhaenys towards him, testing to see if she resisted. Although he had received the instruction of kissing her afterwards from his father as a way of pleasing the king and other high lords present, Robb genuinely wanted to if she granted him permission. Rhaenys responded by stepping closer and placing her free hand on his shoulder, Robb sliding his own hand to the back of her neck and bringing her in for a kiss. Rhaegar initiated the clapping and the rest of the attendees quickly followed suit. The couple broke apart, surprisingly grinning too much to continue to pucker their lips for the kiss. Keeping their hands gripped together, they turned and faced the crowd, relieved that their wedding was finally over.

Image

Robb sat with a combination of elegance and uncomfortableness at the centre of the banquet table. It felt improper for him to be the target of everyone’s attention, though he noticed how Rhaenys was clearly used to all of the fuss. Gift after gift was presented to them, and plates of exotic selections of food were brought over with plenty of wine and ale, though Robb was taking his time when it came to drinking, unwilling to make a fool of himself on such an important occasion. His jaw was hurting from doing so much smiling and talking to keep his guests pleased, and all he desired was for the day to come to a close, despite that also meaning sharing a bed with Rhaenys, another daunting task he had to face. As Robb scanned the crowd of mingling high lords and ladies he spotted a familiar face. Dressed in the brown leathers of the North, it was a relief to see that curly hair finally present.

“I’ll be back shortly,” Robb commented while he stood. Rhaenys smiled up at Robb to bid him goodbye before she returned her focus to slowly stuffing the dessert on her plate into her full stomach. Robb glided through his guests as he made his way to the man he so desperately wanted to talk to, grinning when he placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder who gasped with surprise.

“Gods, you gave me a fright,” Jon breathed with a hint of annoyance that quickly disappeared. “Congratulations, brother.”

“Thank you,” Robb said, such a wide grin stretching across his face it was almost unnatural.

“I take it you performed well, didn’t mess up your vows,” Jon continued and Robb resisted a sigh.

“Theon has already made that jest; you could at least come up with something new,” he remarked before chuckling. “It went fine. I fumbled a little with the cloak, but other than that I think it was a good ceremony.” Jon smiled and nodded, pleased to hear the news even though Robb had married the woman he was hoping to meet on the docks.

“How is she?” he wondered as he stole a glance across the patio to where Rhaenys was, apparently unaware of his presence while she chatted to her brother who had temporarily taken Robb’s chair.

“I think she’s doing quite well, actually,” Robb answered, also turning to look at the princess who was now unbelievably his wife.

“That’s good to hear.”

“It doesn’t seem real,” Robb commented and Jon gave a grunt of acknowledgement.

“You can say that again,” he agreed and they both fell silent.

“Have you spoken to father yet? We’ve been wondering where you were,” Robb remarked before Rhaenys’ cousins caught his eye, giggling together at an older lord’s story. “And Nymeria, surely she would like to see you before we leave.”

“No, I only came to see you. And now that I have bid you my best wishes, I see no reason to stay,” Jon said and Robb immediately frowned.

“I want you to stay,” he countered but Jon shook his head. He had spotted Rhaenys standing, her eyes on him.

“I need to leave,” Jon insisted, desperate to not speak with Rhaenys. “Enjoy the rest of your wedding day.” He turned and made his way through the crowd before Robb could argue, but Robb knew it was best let him be and he instead began walking back to his table. He noticed that Rhaenys had left, but he did not see her as she scurried up a couple of steps and pushed past people while trying to catch up to Jon.

“Jon! Jon, stop! It’s me!” she called out when they neared the edge of the crowd, aware that he was not slowing down at all. He ignored her cries, and Rhaenys knew that the music was quiet enough on this side of the terrace so he had no excuse for not hearing her. “Jon Snow, I command you to stop!” Rhaenys huffed when Jon finally halted, his fists clenching as he turned to face her. Rhaenys kept some distance between them from shock that she had to exact her royalty over him.

“Yes, Your Highness?” Jon said with defeat, Rhaenys’ jaw twitching with anger and sadness. She couldn’t believe that the one person who had looked past her title of the princess was now only able to respond to her when she flaunted her status.

“Where are you going?” she questioned, a few of the nearby lords shifting away from the clearly annoyed princess while the craftier ones took a step closer to the drama.

“I don’t know. Perhaps to the docks,” Jon answered with a shrug. Rhaenys’ stomach dropped at the unnecessary stab.

“You should stay. I’m sure lots of people would like to talk to you.”

“Like who?”

“Me!” Rhaenys exclaimed, shocked at how dismissive Jon was being. Clearly he was hurt, but she hadn’t expected him to be so bitter towards her.

“I’ve already heard you, loud and clear,” Jon replied. His words left Rhaenys speechless so he turned and left her wedding celebration, unable to bear the sight of her any more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Apologies for the slow updates - Mibba has been incredibly slow for me as of late and it's been practically impossible for me to load any pages. The next update will come when Mibba next gives me a chance. I still hope to hear some feedback from you guys though, I'd really appreciate it :)