Of Schemes and Kisses

Of Fools and Homes

Spear blades crashed together under the hot sun and were quickly withdrawn. One spun with flare as the other shifted to a new angle with grace and prepared to block the incoming attack. The one decorated with only a brown snake came in for another attack and the spear embellished with a snake dancing with a dragon deflected the move and then suddenly rose high. Oberyn immediately sensed that he could not lift his spear fast enough to block the attack so instead he ducked and continued to swing around. He lost his momentum when the blade struck him and he cried out. Rhaenys brought her spear’s blade to the ground and watched as her uncle brought his hand to the side of his head, lifting it away and revealing that blood was seeping through his black hair.

“You should be wearing a helmet,” she remarked as Oberyn stood, giving a smirk at her comment.

“That’s right, I should have put one on,” he agreed, pleased to see that she was wearing one even though it was heavy and making her sweat.

“How bad is it?”

“Nothing to worry about,” Oberyn reassured her before gesturing for his squire to come over. The boy handed him a cloth before scurrying back to the edge of the patio and out of earshot. Oberyn dabbed his wound as Rhaenys inspected the tip of her spear, noticing just the slightest glint of red on the edge of the blade. “Do you like the spear?” Rhaenys grinned as she changed her focus back onto her beloved uncle.

“You know I love it,” she answered with obvious enthusiasm.

“So it was a good wedding gift then?” Oberyn continued.

“If not the best,” Rhaenys said with a nod.

“Can you explain to me why you are standing here now wed to Robb? Did something happen between you and Jon?” Oberyn asked, taking Rhaenys aback before she realised that he had never intended to question her about the spear, merely change the topic.

“It’s a long story,” Rhaenys commented with a grimace.

“Well we have the time. I would rather hear you say it now instead of you later confessing through a letter that could easily be intercepted,” he justified. Rhaenys inhaled to prepare herself to explain the more recent events.

“I spent a lot of time feeling absolutely lost and helpless, not knowing what I should do, until father spoke with me. He recited a story to me and I understood then what I needed to do, which was follow in your footsteps in a way,” she began and Oberyn raised his eyebrows.

“Really? And how is that?” he wondered, unable to see the resemblance as he was still unmarried.

“You told me that you found a way to keep your love by your side without marrying her, and are able to still keep everyone else happy with your decision,” Rhaenys explained and Oberyn nodded, recalling their conversation. “So I knew that what I needed to do was wed Robb, for the realm. If I failed to do that, I can count a hundred ways in which there would have been negative consequences.”

“Fair point,” Oberyn agreed as he repositioned the bloody rag on his head. “But what of Jon? Do you love him?”

“I don’t know who holds my heart,” Rhaenys admitted, still stinging from Jon’s rejection at her wedding banquet. “I had intended on keeping Jon by my side, albeit in secret, but I fear that I have destroyed what we had by marrying his brother.”

“Have you talked to him about your situation?”

“I tried to, but he was too angry with me to listen…” Rhaenys trailed off as she sank into the memory of Jon’s scowl and pained eyes.

“Well you have time. He will return to Winterfell when you travel there, won’t he? Speak with him when you have a chance, when he is not so freshly wounded, and perhaps you two can find hope and happiness,” Oberyn suggested. Rhaenys gave him a hesitant smile.

“Do you think I can find happiness?” she questioned and Oberyn grinned.

“You have defied every challenge that life has thrown at you. If you can adopt the Martell ways whilst being a Targaryen princess, if you can wield a spear better than you can sew, if you can survive all of the assassins thrown in your direction, Gods be damned if you can’t find love and happiness,” he replied. Rhaenys gripped her spear tighter, more determined than ever to take control of her life.

Image

The Northern soldiers had stopped for the night along the Kingsroad near the Bite, just to the east of Greywater Watch. Rhaenys was already shivering from the lack of warmth at night as she changed into her nightwear, and she didn’t even want to imagine what the temperature in her new home of Winterfell was going to be like. The tent was small, making it quick and easy for the soldiers to set up for her and Robb, and she was grateful that the bed was comfortable enough and that animal furs always adorned it. Gatherings of candles had been lined on an almost cracking table, providing Rhaenys with barely enough light to see herself in the mirror as she brushed her hair while waiting for Robb to return from doing the rounds through the party’s campsite with his father. It pleased her to see how eager her husband was to learn from his wise father, and during her travel so far she had already noticed where Robb had gotten his kind heart from. There was a rustle at the tent’s flap so Rhaenys tossed her brush aside and straightened her gown a little before hurrying over to greet her husband. Dark curls and a cloak trimmed with fur shuffled through the entrance and tugged the flap closed just before Rhaenys flung herself at him and kissed him. A few seconds later she opened her eyes and suddenly pulled back with surprise.

“Not who you were expecting, I take it?” Jon commented as Rhaenys took a step back, uncertain of how to react even though Jon had a tiny grin creeping across his lips.

“What brings you here?” she asked, having not spoken with him since her wedding day. He had been around, guarding her and the other Starks alongside Theon Greyjoy, but Jon had often kept his gaze off her and remained silent, almost as if he was a mute. “If you are looking for Robb then he is-”

“I know exactly where he is. That’s why I’ve come now,” Jon interrupted her.

“It’s been how many weeks and you haven’t said a word to me, and now you are here. Why?” Rhaenys demanded, surprised that she was feeling a bit threatened by Jon’s presence.

“I have been too pained to speak with you. I felt as though you had made your decision to be with Robb and had nothing further to discuss with me,” Jon attempted to explain but Rhaenys scoffed.

“Despite my attempts to talk with you on many occasions?” she countered and he winced.

“I wasn’t ready,” Jon replied before exhaling. “But now I am, so I would like to hear what you wanted to say.” Rhaenys paused, wondering if he was too late and her words, her feelings, were no longer true or even mattered.

“Well, I was trying to meet and speak with you because I wanted to tell you that I wished to continue what we had, but now I’m not so sure that’s what I want,” she admitted. Jon mentally kicked himself for not coming to her earlier, seeing his opportunity slipping away like sand through his fingers. “After having you ignore me these past few weeks, I have begun to let go of what we had and focus on developing a relationship with Robb. I thought you no longer desired me.”

“I just needed to adjust to your decision. You have to understand how much it tore me up inside when you didn’t meet me on the docks,” Jon said, pleading for forgiveness of his neglecting actions.

“And I do understand, but you have to recognise that you never heard the full story, never let me explain my decision in full!” Rhaenys exclaimed. “At the time I chose to wed Robb to keep the realm happy, and I intended on continuing to see you in private to keep myself happy. But you never gave me a chance to tell you that!” Jon fell silent, his forehead crinkling as he processed what she was telling him.

“You… You were actually going to continue what we had?” he repeated and Rhaenys nodded.

“I truly was. I thought it was our best shot.”

“I’m a fool,” Jon concluded and a tiny smile broke onto Rhaenys’ face, erasing her pain.

“Well that’s what we are, fools having a foolish relationship,” she said, recalling their last proper conversation in King’s Landing.

“So what do you wish to happen now, then?” Jon asked to break the silence that had fallen between them. He doubted that Rhaenys would still have passion inside her heart for him, but after hearing of what her intentions had initially been, he was holding onto a sliver of hope the flame might be rekindled.

“I want you back,” Rhaenys confessed, her eyes begging for him to understand how she felt. “Whatever we had together… It’s unlike anything else, even if it is only a friendship. I don’t want to lose that, or you.” Jon’s heart sank a little at the mention of being only friends, but he was also pleased to hear that he wasn’t being rejected yet again. She did care for him; his feelings were returned.

“Well we shouldn’t meet while we are on the road; it is too risky. This- me coming in here at this time of night, is bad enough. We should talk again when we are at Winterfell,” Jon suggested and Rhaenys nodded.

“I can wait,” she agreed, having already waited long enough just to have this conversation with him. Jon considered moving in to kiss her but Rhaenys crossed her arms and looked to the tent’s entrance. “You should probably leave now. If Robb were to return…”

“Yes, good point,” Jon said with a nod. “Goodnight, Rhaenys.”

“Goodnight, Jon,” she replied with a small smile before he peeked through the flap, checking the area and then exiting her tent. Rhaenys held her breath for a few more moments before she exhaled, baffled as to what had just happened. She had no idea that Jon continued to harbour feelings for her, and meanwhile she was in the middle of forgetting her lust for him. Rhaenys took a seat on the edge of the bed and rubbed her temples, wondering why her life was so difficult. If anything, leaving King’s Landing should have taken away half of her problems. She jumped with fright as the tent’s flap was shoved open again, this time Robb entering.

“Sorry, did I startle you?” he asked as he began to take his cloak off.

“Oh, no, it’s all right,” Rhaenys muttered, not caring about the surprise his return had caused.

“Is something wrong?” Robb continued and Rhaenys quickly shook her head.

“No, I’m fine,” she replied to reassure him. After Robb had hung up his cloak, he sat next to her, the bed sinking considerably from his heavy armour.

“What’s on your mind? You can tell me anything,” Robb said while taking her hand in his, Rhaenys refusing to respond. “Are you missing your family again?”

“Yes,” she breathed, glad that Robb had provided an excuse for her so she didn’t have to conjure one herself. He squeezed her hand and Rhaenys felt even guiltier about her conversation with Jon earlier. Robb was so kind to her, had never wronger her, and yet she was still considering being with his brother. Rhaenys recognised how much of an awful person she was and her eyes dampened.

“I swear to your, Rhaenys, I am going to do everything in my power to make Winterfell feel like your home,” Robb attempted to reassure her and the corners of her lips were tugged upwards at how enthusiastic he sounded.

“I know you will, and I appreciate that,” she replied, hoping it was possible.

“You will feel so happy at Winterfell that whenever you leave to visit King’s Landing or Sunspear you will miss me and the snow and our room and the food- everything,” Robb continued, painting a picture for Rhaenys that she was actually fond of.

“I don’t know if that would be possible,” she replied. “I haven’t told you of the time I visited Dorne, but once I do you will understand why I love it so much, and why it is difficult for me to travel so far away from that land.”

“Well that’s not going to stop me from trying,” Robb said and Rhaenys could no longer hold back her tears. He was so warm-heated, loving, and devoted to her, and she was considering going being his back and breaking her vows to him. Thinking she was weeping for her family, Robb cradled his wife in his arms until she had calmed, then laid her on the bed. He summoned his squire and had his armour removed as quickly as possible before he joined her under the furs, holding her as tight as he could to provide as much comfort as possible, but it only made Rhaenys shed more tears of guilt.

Image

Snow drifted past the window in a slight breeze, Rhaenys still not used to the view outside her new chambers. Instead of welcoming the sunny sight, warm breeze and salty air through her windows like she would at King’s Landing, Rhaenys had learned on her first day that windows at Winterfell were not made to be opened. The few windows only provided light, and air on a day that wasn’t freezing cold, and instead they were a barrier between her and the white world outside. A part deep inside her was pleased that she was here, truly content that she had seen and experienced all of the different climates of Westeros, the land her family had ruled over for generations. Rhaenys was so absorbed in her thoughts, dreaming of sand instead of the snow that was before her, that she didn’t hear the first knock on the door and only noticed when the person repeated the knock louder and with more urgency.

“Enter,” Rhaenys called out, hopeful for a nice distraction from the cold. She turned to see Jon shutting the door behind him, a solemn expression on his face that caused Rhaenys to immediately frown and worry. “Jon, what is it?”

“I need to tell you something,” he reluctantly replied and Rhaenys began to panic, wondering if Robb had found out about their relationship in King’s Landing. Since arriving in Winterfell, Rhaenys had been too busy tending her duties as the new Lady of Winterfell to spare the time to speak with Jon.

“Go on, then,” she said with a nod, her heart rate quickening the longer Jon was silent for.

“I am leaving Winterfell,” he breathed. Rhaenys’ eyes enlarged as she absorbed his words.

“What? Why? When?” she hurriedly asked, crossing the room to be closer to him.

“Once I’ve finished talking to you I will be on my way, north,” Jon answered and Rhaenys unexpectedly came to a stop, just a few feet in front of him, from shock.

“Is it because…” she trailed off, not wanting to voice what she had a feeling was the truth. He had to be leaving because of her, it was the only thing that made sense.

“Yes,” Jon confirmed. Rhaenys looked away from him, unable to handle the news and unwilling to reveal her heartache. “I am going to join the Night’s Watch, and become a ranger like my uncle-”

“Why?” Rhaenys breathed.

“If you had not interrupted me you then would have heard why I want to become a ranger,” Jon replied, confused.

“No, why are you leaving before we got a chance to be together in Winterfell,” Rhaenys clarified with a short shake of her head. Her mind was spinning, reeling from the news.

“Can’t you guess?” Jon replied, Rhaenys lifting her gaze to plead for an answer. Jon sighed and gave in, lowering his stare to his fiddling hands. “Because I cannot endure it any longer. I cannot stand seeing you laughing with Robb at feasts, I cannot bear to see you two kiss, I cannot stand guard and hear your noises of passion during the night, I cannot live with you being with another man!” Jon’s voice rose as he justified his decision, only exaggerating his grief and worsening Rhaenys’ guilt.

“I thought that didn’t matter, that you were willing to try have a secret relationship-”

“I thought it wouldn’t matter, but it does. It’s killing me, and I don’t want to suffer any longer,” he breathed, hoping that she could understand.

“I’m so sorry,” Rhaenys eventually whispered. “I feel truly awful that I have put you through-”

“Please don’t. Your apology is enough,” Jon interrupted, not wanting her to remind him how much he had struggled for her, for nothing. “I need to go, my father is waiting.” He reached out and pressed a metal object into her hand before turning and stepping towards the door. Rhaenys opened her hand and saw the spear brooch, heartbroken that he wasn’t going to take it with him. Tears streamed down her cheeks as it sunk in that she was losing him for good.

“Will you ever visit?” Rhaenys asked and Jon hesitated. He hadn’t thought that far ahead.

“Perhaps,” he said, placing his hand on the door handle.

“Jon?”

“Yes?”

“When you’re a ranger, keeping us all safe, please wear a helmet and stay safe yourself,” Rhaenys said, her voice wavering. Jon bit back tears as he smiled, still fond of his memories of their sparring and bonding.

“I will,” he promised before leaving.

Rhaenys was numb for the following days, mindlessly following Robb around Winterfell and nodding her agreement whenever it was needed instead of actually paying attention. Her mind was with Jon, wondering what she could have possibly done differently but she was unsuccessful at finding a fault. She sincerely believed that she had made the right choice, despite all of the temptations and nudges in the wrong direction, and it was becoming clearer to her that it was her duty to be a Targaryen princess and to be Robb’s wife, not Jon’s secret lover. Regardless of her vast differences with her father, Rhaenys had followed in his footsteps, but she was determined to have the happiness he lacked. Oberyn had faith that she could could have love and be content with her life, and as Rhaenys began to move on from Jon she realised how truly foolish she had been. It was as she entered her chambers to change for a horse riding lesson and found Robb awaiting her arrival to offer sparring practice with him instead that she realised her key to happiness had been in front of her the whole time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Apologies for the delay in posting this final chapter, but at least it's here now. Since this is the end of Rhaenys' journey, feel free to leave a comment with your overall thoughts on the story. I am quite fond of this piece so please let me know how well I did. Otherwise, thank you to everyone who supported this story, and keep an eye on my account for more GoT stories in the future!