Of Schemes and Kisses

Of Stones and Flowers

Robb was close to dragging his feet down the corridor, his sleep not providing him with sufficient rest for such an early start. A tiny smirk crept across Theon’s mouth as he stood guard at Eddard and Catelyn’s door and watched his weary friend approach, the ale and lack of sleep appearing to have not affected Theon whatsoever.

“State your name and intent,” Theon said once Robb was a mere few steps away from opening his parents’ door. He halted and gaze a puzzled questioning look to Theon.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” he sighed, already fed up with Theon.

“Some of us take our jobs seriously here. State your name and intent,” Theon repeated calmly and Robb groaned, deciding that answering would be better than tackling him out of the way.

“Lord Robb Stark, and I want to have breakfast with my parents,” he said and Theon gave a brisk nod before shifting aside. Robb reached out to grab the handle and Theon leaned in slightly.

“How did I do? Do you think the king would swap me for Jon?” he asked, only to receive a shove in response.

“Don’t even think about it. She is betrothed to me; you can’t lay a hand on her,” Robb growled before entering his parents’ guest chambers. As elegant and grand as his own, there was plenty of room for the table and chairs that handmaidens had organised before the balcony that was welcoming the morning sun. Sansa stood in front of a mirror, as if practicing her posture and grace, Eddard speaking lowly to her but halting once Robb entered.

“Good morning, son,” Catelyn beamed, straightening slightly in her chair.

“Good morning,” he addressed them all as Eddard and Sansa left the vanity and joined them at the table.

“Trouble with Theon outside?” Catelyn wondered and Robb gave a rigid grin.

“He’s just being himself.”

“I knew we should have left both of them in Winterfell…” Catelyn muttered. Robb tried to ignore the sinking feeling in his gut and met his father’s eye as he reached out for an apple.

“They were needed here,” Eddard reassured his wife. Robb turned to his sister, hoping to lighten the mood.

“How are you finding it here?” he wondered and Sansa beamed at him.

“I really like it. Have you been to see the dragon remains yet? I saw them yesterday and they are incredible,” she replied with excitement as she cut into a slice of lemon cake.

“I have not, I’ve been too busy to go on tours,” he admitted with a wince before glancing across at his father. Eddard offered a sympathetic smile, knowing well of the trials that the king was subjecting Robb to.

“Too busy dancing with the princess and falling in love?” Sansa teased with a light giggle. “I bet she thinks that you are her knight, her hero, her prince from the North!” Robb chuckled, partly at his sister’s naiveness and partly from embarrassment.

“I don’t think so,” he admitted and out of the corner of his eye he noticed his mother tensing.

“Have you not impressed her much?” Eddard wondered and Robb felt his cheeks flush.

“Can we please not discuss the success of my courting over breakfast?” he mumbled, trying to dismiss the topic as he focused on spreading jam onto a slice of bread.

“We could further advise you if you-” Catelyn begun.

“I don’t need any advice, mother. I have had but a morning with her, I cannot possibly know if she likes me,” Robb said, insisting that his relationship with Rhaenys was doing fine so far. “I only meant that I don’t know if I am what she expected. I don’t know if I’m her knight, or prince, or whatever ladies want.” He glanced at Sansa and she offered a smile.

“You’re a good example of those things, everyone knows that. No doubt that’s why the king chose you for his daughter,” she reassured him and Robb began to feel better.

“Bring her flowers the next time you meet her,” Eddard advised before quickly changing the topic and keeping his family cheerful during the meal.

Image

The calm water of the bay sparkled in the morning sun, the beach empty and the harbour silent as most were still in bed or eating. Rhaenys had woken early to have some time to herself, and she was now heading back to the Red Keep with a clearer head. Jon mirrored her movements further up the stoney beach, keeping watch on her and for any sign that they were not alone, but he was also taking the time to relax himself. The view along Rhaenys’ walk was serene and unlike anything he had seen before, and the longer he walked the less agitated he was that he had been awoken earlier than expected. Jon halted as Rhaenys changed direction and headed closer to the water that lazily lapped at the shore. She bent and then straightened a short moment later, Jon’s brow furrowing as he tried to decipher her actions. Her arm shifted backwards then hurled a pebble onto the water, the tiny stone skimming across the water six times before sinking. Jon found himself smiling as he observed her repeating the action and slowly increasing the amount of times the pebble bounced on the water.

“Jon, come down,” she called out and he made his way down the shore, his steps heavy due to his armour. He arrived at her side sheepishly, wishing that he was as light on his feet as she was.

“Yes, Your Highness?”

“Join me,” she smiled. When Jon failed to respond, she bent down and picked up a suitable stone, offering it to him with an expecting expression.

“I probably shouldn’t. I need to keep watch,” he said, attempting to back out respectfully.

“No one is around. You can take a moment to throw a pebble,” Rhaenys said with a light chuckle at his coy behaviour, though she felt as though he was unaware of how adorable his expression was. “I insist.” Reluctantly, Jon held his hand out and Rhaenys dropped the stone into his palm.

“Do you do this with all of your guards?” he wondered after he had attempted to skim the stone, only managing two clumsy bounces.

“Just the ones who are going to become my brother,” she answered with a smile as she provided another good sized stone for him to toss. “Try to keep it level as you throw it, and flick it like this…” Rhaenys offered a slowed demonstration and Jon took note before correcting his motions and trying again.

“Half-brother,” he corrected after the pebble dropped straight into the water.

“Brother,” she repeated and Jon hesitated, his eyes silently questioning her as he did not wish to verbally test the princess. “I have eight cousins who are bastards. Their differing mothers does not make a difference to me, and neither will yours. Family is family; that is all that matters.” Jon’s lips parted with surprise, having only had received such acceptance of his bastardy from some of his immediate family. He lowered his gaze and tried to think of the correct response to show his appreciation.

“Thank you,” he said quietly, unable to think of any other way to express his thoughts appropriately. She was essentially a stranger to him but she valued his life, and learning about some of the kindness she had in her heart held worth to Jon.

“Can I let you in on a secret?” Rhaenys said to break the silence, tearing her eyes away from Jon and looking out at the bay.

“I’m good at keeping secrets,” he replied and the corners of her lips turned upwards for a brief second before levelling once more.

“Father always tells me that I take after my mother and her people, not just in my appearance, and I know he dislikes me for that. I’m not a real Targaryen to him,” Rhaenys said, diverting her gaze back to meet Jon’s eyes. “I should be condemning bastards and homosexual behaviour, but I cannot and will not. We are all the same come the end of the day, are we not?”

“I would like to think so,” Jon agreed. After having been denounced his entire life for his father’s infidelity even though he himself had done nothing wrong, it was like a breath of fresh air to hear someone willing look past the word ‘Snow’. She held his gaze for a few moments before reaching to the ground then presenting another stone to him. Jon took the pebble from her and sent it spinning onto the water, a grin creeping across his face as he felt hopeful of finding a true friend in his brother’s betrothed.

Image

As Petyr waited outside Viserys’ chambers, he straightened his mockingbird pin and then his shoulders. He had many tasks to tend before the day was over and he did not like to be kept waiting by an arrogant prince, but he knew better than to complain. Moments before he was about to knock, a lot louder than the previous time, the door swung open and Viserys gestured for Petyr to enter. Once inside, the heavy door slid back into place and Viserys strode across to his desk.

“I won’t keep you for long,” Viserys said, reading Petyr’s stiff posture and expression. “I simply wish to ask for your aid. You have helped me before, and I am certain you have the power to do so again if you can find it beneficial for yourself.” Intrigued, Petyr raised his eyebrows and closed some distance between himself and the prince so they could speak lower in case one of Varys’ spies was nearby and listening through the walls.

“What is your agenda this time, Your Highness? Is your marriage to Lady Margaery not quite what you desired after all?”

“No, her and I are doing very well. You are quite the matchmaker,” Viserys grinned, Petyr sharing the smile before both of their faces returned to grim frowns due to the weight of what was on Viserys’ mind. “This concerns my niece.”

“And her wedding?” Petyr finished and Viserys nodded.

“It must be sabotaged. Blame cannot fall on me or my family or the Starks; it must fall on her, and I am certain that she has enough flaws and secrets that will lead to her demise. It is crucial that she is held responsible for the wedding’s cancellation, and I want to know if you are capable of such a tricky task,” Viserys proposed as he opened the top drawer in his desk. He removed a sack and placed it on the dark wood, loosening the tie to reveal the gold coins within.

“There is always a way,” Petyr agreed while he calculated roughly how much value the bag had. “I believe that is less than your last payment.” The two locked eyes and held each other’s strong, challenging stare before Viserys cracked into a smirk.

“Yes, because this time you benefit too,” he said simply and Petyr stiffened. “I know about you and Lady Catelyn. If you sabotage this wedding, she will have to remain here for longer until the issue is resolved. Surely seeing her for longer is worth far more than any coin.” Viserys sensed that he had won the discussion and he stepped away from the desk, leaving the pouch begging for Petyr to take it. Petyr snatched it up and hid it in a pocket of his robe before heading to the exit, stealing a glance at the Targaryen prince who was standing tall and proud, pleased that he had found someone capable of doing his dirty work. After leaving the chambers, Petyr strode into the gardens and scanned the terraces until he spied the person he was to meet with next. Her long brown hair was pinned away from her face and cascaded down her back in vibrant waves, the pale blue of her dress making her look positively radiant in the warm morning sun.

“Good morning, Princess Margaery,” Petyr said and she turned away from the roses to smile at him.

“I don’t know if ‘Princess Margaery’ has a ring to it,” she remarked.

“I suppose that is why you have requested to meet with me?” Petyr guessed.

“Yes. This wedding…”

“If only there was a way to covertly compromise the event…” he trailed off and Margaery grinned.

“No doubt you have already dreamed up a few possibilities. Are any plausible? Can you put a stop to the plans while making it appear as though it was a natural course of events, as though no one was meddling with the princess’ wedding?” she wondered, hopeful but not showing her desperation.

“I can accomplish anything for the right reward. I found a way for you to position yourself to become queen, did I not?”

“And now you need to position me better. Rhaenys will not take what is mine,” Margaery insisted before nodding towards one of her guards who was keeping watch but out of earshot. “He has your first payment, if you accept. I expect nothing less than success from you.” Petyr grinned and took a bow to dismiss himself.

“As you wish, my queen.”

Image

“Don’t tell me you are only just finished now,” Jon called out to his brother who was walking down the hallway towards him. It was well into the evening and Jon was once again posted outside Rhaenys’ door until a Kingsguard would relieve him for the night shift and Jon could get some sleep. He was already aware of Rhaegar’s plans to spend the day with Robb educating him about kingly matters, but he had not expected a day’s worth of training to have ended so late, especially with an early start. With a fresh bouquet of flowers in his hand, Robb was prepared to bid Rhaenys goodnight before crawling into his bed and praying for his wedding to happen so he could leave for Winterfell again and not have to stress about Rhaegar’s intense teaching.

“Would you like to hear about what makes a Targaryen good at ruling? And why I would need to embrace that style into my own ruling if I were to ever become king? Or perhaps I should teach you how to address a king properly, and what to do if those criteria are not met,” Robb replied before sighing, only making his brother chuckle at his misery.

“Sounds like you know a lot.”

“You would know nothing in comparison- And yet I’m nowhere near finished, he tells me,” Robb grumbled, coming to a stop before the door to Rhaenys’ bed chambers.

“At least he cares. He wants you to be a good ruler and a good man for his daughter. Most lords send their children to marry without a second thought, wouldn’t you agree?” Jon asked and Robb smiled.

“That they do. I should not complain,” he agreed. “May I?” Robb gestured towards the door and Jon thumped his knuckles on the wood. Moments later and Audrei cracked the door open and smiled at the young men.

“Yes, my lord?” she squeaked.

“I would like to bid Rhaenys goodnight. Is she available?” Robb asked her and Audrei looked over her shoulder to Rhaenys. Audrei had just finished unpinning her hair and was about to begin undressing Rhaenys to prepare for bed. Rhaenys had heard Robb’s voice and she nodded at Audrei, standing from the stool before her mirror.

“She is. Please come in,” Audrei offered, sweeping to the side and curtseying as she held the door open. Robb smiled kindly at her, finding her courtesy unnecessary for a short, private visit, then met the eyes of his betrothed across the room.

“Good evening,” Rhaenys said with a smile. Her grin widened when she noticed the flowers, and further as she admired the powerful stride he had as he crossed the room to her.

“Good evening, my princess. I hope you have had a good day.”

“I have, thank you. And you?”

“Yes, but it was long. I regret not having the time to spend with you; the king keeps me rather busy,” Robb apologised before offering her the bouquet.

“There is no need to be sorry, I know how he is,” Rhaenys said, reaching out to take the flowers from him. Her hands extended towards the stalks, and under the cover of the petals caressed Robb’s rougher skin. “These flowers are beautiful. Thank you.”

“You are more than welcome,” Robb replied, then slid his hands out from beneath hers. The clearing of his throat afterwards was the only thing to break his charm and prove that her action had made him nervous. “I should be going. Goodnight, Rhaenys.”

“Goodnight, Robb,” she said softly. They shared a smile and then Robb turned on his heel, Audrei showing him out before she took the flowers from Rhaenys.

“These are pretty,” she commented as she filled a vase with water. She placed it next to Rhaenys’ bed, shuffling the flowers to get them to stand in the best position, then turned to Rhaenys.

“Do you think he is honest when he says kind things, or does nice things like this?” Rhaenys wondered and Audrei frowned.

“Of course he is. You are everything a man could want; he wants you, so his actions are genuine,” she deduced and Rhaenys winced.

“He hesitated when I touched him. Is that normal?”

“He was anxious! Of course that is normal!” Audrei said with a laugh, beginning to wonder if she knew more about courting than her princess. Instead of giggling with her friend, Rhaenys’ eyes had widened with fear and Audrei exhaled lightly. “Why are you frowning now? I swear his charm is not fake.”

“There is a spider behind you…” Rhaenys whispered and Audrei immediately stiffed, her expression now reflecting Rhaenys’.

“How big?” she breathed but Rhaenys could not reply. Audrei slowly turned and easily spotted the fairly large spider crawling out of one of Robb’s flowers. She screamed, causing Rhaenys to copy her, and the two leapt onto the bed as though the critter was a rat and a similar defence was necessary. Upon hearing the distressed cries, Jon drew his sword and barged inside the room without warning. Expecting to see an assailant attempting to harm Rhaenys, he was stunned to find the two girls alone and clutching each other’s arms on the bed as they shrieked at the vase of flowers.

“What is the matter?” Jon called out, catching their attention.

“There’s a spider!” Rhaenys answered and Jon halted, lips parting with bewilderment. Upon quickly realising that the two were legitimately frightened by the creature, he sheathed his sword and walked up to the bouquet. He placed his hand over one of the petals in the spider’s path and it crawled onto his skin, making the young women squeal with shock. Jon cupped his hands around the bug and shifted quickly over to the nearest balcony, flicking the spider over the edge.

“Is it gone?” Audrei yelled and he turned to look at them, still on the bed grasping onto each other for dear life.

“Yes, it’s safe to come down,” he replied, still mystified by their actions. It did not make sense to him that Rhaenys could defy the classic character of the princess she was supposed to be in so many ways, and yet here she was being terrified of a bug. He began walking towards the door, prepared to stand guard once more and ponder the peculiar scenario, but he was interrupted by a set of arms being thrown around his torso. At first Jon stood still, but then he put an arm around Rhaenys and rested a comforting hand on her back. The black waves of her hair were pressed against his face and he couldn’t help but inhale her scent and enjoy the feeling of her smaller frame pressing against him, despite the armour between them.

“Thank you, Jon,” Rhaenys said before pulling away, giving him a smile before moving back to Audrei’s side.

“You’re welcome. Goodnight, ladies.” Jon left and Rhaenys was left slightly stunned at how similar the brothers had sounded when bidding her goodnight.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter - let me know what you thought of it and what might happen next!