Stupid Winter

Part 2

“Just a little bit further” Jack said.
His arms were wrapped around Alex’s waist trying to keep the poor boy on his feet. Despite sleeping for most of the 4 hour train ride the two mile walk from the station to Jack’s Aunt’s had really taken its toll on the sick boy. He leant on Jack, barely able to keep his eyes open. Jack wished he was able to carry him, though Alex wouldn’t exactly be heavy Jack wasn’t strong. So he had to make do with man handling Alex through the streets as best he could. Jack was thankful when his Aunt’s house came into view, a little longer and Alex could have a much needed sleep. Jack could feel the heat pouring off him and his cough sounded no better. He just hoped he’d be able to make his Aunt understand, he hadn’t had the chance to call her and explain what was about to turn up on the doorstep...
“Come on”
Jack continued to half walk half carry Alex up the steps to the front door, Alex’s head resting on his shoulder. He hadn’t said anything in a while, Jack figured he was just too exhausted.
He knocked at the door and put his arm back around Alex’s waist, the moment of truth. Expect either the fever or the exhaustion took their toll on Alex and he was no longer able to keep himself standing.
“Woah!” Jack caught Alex before he collapsed, holding him bridal style with Alex’s head resting against his chest.
“Jack?”
He hadn’t realised his Aunt had opened the door and he was now standing in her doorway holding Alex in his arms.
“Hmm hey”
“Can I ask what’s going on?” she asked.
“I think I better put him down first”
She nodded and let Jack into the house. He walked straight passed her and up the stairs, to his room. Well it wasn’t really his room but it was the one he always stayed in when at his Aunt’s, the one with the big double bed and the blue wallpaper. He laid Alex on the bed, he figured the boy would be okay for a few minutes why he tried to explain everything. He went back down the stairs to find his Aunt still standing in the doorway, her arms folded as she waited for him to speak.
“It’s kind of a long story...” Jack started.
Jack sat opposite his Aunt as he explained everything that happened over the last 24 hours. She never once intruded though her expression changed from one of anger to one Jack couldn’t read.
“So that’s why you turned up at my door with a boy passed out in your arms?” she asked.
“Pretty much, I’m sorry for dropping this on you but I didn’t know what else to do. He’s got nowhere else to go and it’s not like I can put him on the train back, god knows what would happen to him in that state. Can he stay?” Jack asked.
His Aunt didn’t say anything, silence fell between them.
“Please, I know this is a huge thing to ask especially as you don’t even know Alex but he’s this really sweet, adorable person with the best sense of humour and his smile...”
“Jack... Jack, if you’d been listening you would have realised I said yes to him staying nearly five minutes ago”
Jack leaped up and hugged his Aunt, kissing her on the cheek.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you”
“It’s okay” she replied, hugging him back.
One thing Rose Barakat knew about her nephew was that he wasn’t much a social person, he didn’t have a great amount of friends and he always preferred to watch the football than leave the house. But this Alex... There must be something about him for Jack to be this excited. She couldn’t send away the person that made him that happy.
They were both snapped away from their thoughts by the sound of a horrible coughing echoing from upstairs.
“Goodness, is that Alex?”
Jack nodded.
“You weren’t kidding, he sounds awful”
“I better go check he’s not dying” Jack said.
“There’s a thermometer in the bathroom cupboard if you need one”
“Thank you” he kissed his aunt’s cheek again before running upstairs to check on Alex.

Alex coughed again, long and hard into his elbow. Ew, why did he always have to get sick at the worst possible times? Like the time he a cold at his sister wedding, runny nose and pale suit... Bad mix. Or the time he had a stomach bug on holiday in France. He’d still never seen the Effie Tower. He rubbed his pounding head and tried to register where he was, the last thing he could remember was being outside....
“Alex?”
He looked up at Jack entering the room, a thermometer and glass of water in his hand.
“Wh...Where am I?” Alex asked.
“You’re in my room, well at least my room at my Aunt’s house” Jack said, helping Alex sit up against the pillows before sitting opposite him.
“How did I get here?” He asked, sipping at the drink Jack had passed and letting it sooth his raw throat.
“You passed out before I could get you inside...”
“Oh I’m so sorry, I’m being such a burden and it’s not fair on you” Alex sniffed, burying his face in his hands.
“Hey, hey it’s okay. You’re ill, it’s not your fault and think if you weren’t this ill we wouldn’t be together right now”
Alex lifted his face from his hands, a smile on his face. Jack put a hand to his pale cheek and smiled back.
“I wish I could kiss you”
“Me too, but I don’t want to give you my flu...” Alex said, turning away to cough into his arm.
“Okay let’s take your temperature as you’re fucking burning”
Jack stuck the device under Alex’s tongue and waited for the thing to bleep. Sitting so close to Alex, Jack could see the red marks on his cheeks indicating his high fever, his nose rubbed raw and eyes dull. Jack just wanted to take all the sickness away from him, he wanted to see Alex laugh without coughing and eyes lighting up. The thermometer beeped and Jack took it from Alex’s mouth, frowning at the reading.
“103, shit Alex that’s bad”
“I always get bad fevers when I’m ill, it sucks”
“Can I get you anything? I think my Aunt said something about making some soup...”
“Oh shit your Aunt, is she okay with all of this? I don’t want her to think I’m intruding or something”
“She’s fine, it took some explaining but she’s good. She said she looks forward to meeting you”
Alex moved to try and sit up more but Jack pushed him back down.
“You’re not moving until your fever comes down Mr, I’m going to get a cloth for your head”
“How do you know so much about this stuff?” Alex asked, pulling the blankets up around him as another shiver shook his body.
“My mum’s a nurse, remember?” Jack reminded him.
Jack left to the bathroom and Alex shuffled down in the bed so he was lying down again. He felt awful, he couldn’t even remember being this sick. Head pounding, eyes stinging, throat raw, chest aching and nose itching.
When Jack returned with a cloth and cool bowl of water Alex was sneezing his head off. He sighed and placed a box of tissues in Alex’s lap. Alex smiled gratefully and blew his nose.
“Ew that was gross”
“Yeah you are, why do I like you again?”
Alex gave a weak smile and fell back against the pillows.
“Here this should help with your fever”
Jack rang out the cloth so it wasn’t dripping and placed it to Alex’s overheated skin. Alex let a sigh of relief.
“How’re feeling?” Jack asked.
“Shitty but at least I’m with you”
Jack smiled and climbed on the bed beside where Alex was lying. Alex shuffled over so his head was resting on Jack’s shoulder before letting his eyes slip closed. Jack stayed awake be his side, refreshing the cloth when it got too warm and just staring at the beautiful boy sleeping on his arm. When Jack’s Aunt came to check on them she found both fast asleep, Alex curled up in Jack’s side with Jack’s arm wrapped around him. She smiled and pulled the blanket up around them. She was happy to see Jack had found someone who made him happy.

Alex woke some time later feeling slightly less hot than he had done. Looking over Jack was still asleep beside him. Jack looked so peaceful in sleep, the genital raise and fall on his chest, his dark hair a mess and eyes closed. Alex didn’t want to wake him, instead he carefully got out of the bed to find a bathroom. After doing his business Alex took a long look in the mirror, his hair was messy and in need of a wash, his skin was pale with the expectation of his rosy cheeks. He was only wearing his t shirt and boxers, he wasn’t sure when he lost the rest of his clothes he figured Jack had removed them at some point to make him more comfortable. Alex was about to head back to the bed, in the hope of sleeping his flu off when he was distracted by a clattering noise from downstairs. Choosing not to wake Jack, Alex stumbled down the stairs himself and found who assumed was Jack’s Aunt picking something from the floor.
“Are you alright?” Alex coughed.
“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” she asked, pulling a chair out at the table and letting the sick boy sit down.
“I heard a noise...”
“Don’t worry it was just me dropping things, should teach me not to try and reach things from the top shelve. Should have Jack do it really” she smiled.
Alex went to laugh but coughed into his hands again.
“So you’re Alex...”
“I am and I’m sorry about all this. I feel bad enough dragging Jack into all of this and now I’m in your house and I’m just coughing all the time”
“Oh sweetheart, don’t feel guilty about this.” She said, put her arm around the boy’s shoulders.
“You can’t help getting sick and you know I’ve never seen Jack care about anyone this much”
“Really?”
“Oh really, Jack’s never been the most social person and tents to avoid people if he can. But look at him with you, he doesn’t want to leave your side.”
Alex smiled, the feelings of butterflies in his stomach.
“Now how does chicken noodle soup sound?” she asked.
“Amazing”
“Good, because it’s one of the only things I can cook”
Alex chuckled, only this time it didn’t turn into a painful cough.
“You’re very kind”
“You’re a sweet boy Alex, I hope Jack takes good care of you”
“He does”
Jack woke to the amazing smell of chicken soup through the house. Following his nose he found his Aunt and Alex in the kitchen, Alex sat at the table with a blanket around his shoulders why his Aunt stood over the stove.
“We were wondering when you’d show up” his Aunt chuckled.
“Yeah your Aunt was just telling me some stories about you as a kid” Alex said.
“Oh god” Jack groaned, sinking into the seat next to Alex.
“How’re feeling?” he asked, pressing the back of his hand to Alex’s forehead. Glad to feel he wasn’t as hot as earlier.
“Crappy”
“Well this should help” Rose Barakat said, placing two steaming bowls of soup in front of them.
“Thank you” Alex said, taking a spoon full and feeling the warmth sooth his throat.
“Thanks” Jack mumbled. He was starving, he’d been too busy taking care of Alex that he hadn’t had a chance to eat.
“You’re welcome, now I expect all that gone by the time I get back” she said.
“If it doesn’t poison us first” Jack joked, only to receive a hit on the back of his head as his Aunt walked past.
“Why didn’t you wake me?” Jack asked, once they were alone again.
“You looked so cute sleeping...” Alex mumbled, his cheeks turning an even deeper red as he blushed.
Jack smiled and took Alex’s hand under the table.
“Your Aunt’s really nice” Alex said.
“Oh god, what’s she been telling you?”
“Nothing just you used to have a security blanket...” Alex mumbled, a smile growing on his lips.
Jack turned bright red and Alex laughed until a painful cough ripped through his chest. Jack quickly moved to put a hand to his back why Alex continued to choke and cough.
“You okay?” he asked once Alex was able to somewhat breathe again.
“I wish this flu would go away” Alex complained, it felt like every time him and Jack were having a moment they’d be interrupted by the stupid illness.
“It will, but eat your soup it’ll help” Jack said.
“Yes mum”
“Hey!” Jack protested.
Alex giggled so much he nearly spat out his soup.

When the bowls were empty Jack’s Aunt reappeared.
“How’re you guys doing?” she asked.
“The soup was good, I feel better already”
“Aw Alex you’re sweet” she said, placing her hand to his forehead just to check he wasn’t delirious. He was pretty warm but nothing too worrying.
“Why don’t you two go watch a movie? I know I have a fantastic collection” she said.
“Thanks Aunty” Jack gave her a kiss on the cheek and offered his hand to help Alex up.
Alex stood up but nearly fell straight back down, he was dizzy and couldn’t quiet keep his body on his feet.
“Woah Alex” Jack was right beside him, holding him and making sure he wouldn’t hurt himself.
“If you can’t walk, I’ll give you a piggy back”
Jack helped Alex so he was stood on a chair before turning around and letting the boy claim on. Alex’s legs wrapped around his waist and Jack held him tightly so he wouldn’t slip off. It wasn’t exactly a far walk to his Aunt’s living room but Alex seemed so weak and vulnerable Jack couldn’t resist. He placed Alex on the couch before running to get him a blanket and his medicine.
“Thanks Jacky” Alex smiled, the blanket was warm and though the medicine still tasted bad he didn’t mind. Because he knew if he took it he’d be able to kiss Jack soon and the thought sent shivers through his body.
Once Alex was comfortable Jack set out picking a movie, his Aunt was right she had quite the collection.
“What do you want to watch?” he asked Alex.
“Do you have Batman?” Alex asked.
“Hmm yeah” Jack pulled the copy of the Dark Night out of the stack of DVD’s and put it in the tv.
Jack sat on the couch next to Alex, who put the blanket over both of them and cuddled into Jack’s side. Jack put his arm around Alex’s shoulders and let the boy rest his head against his chest.
“I love this movie” Alex mumbled.
“You’re a geek, you know that?” Jack said.
“Don’t tell me you don’t love Batman, you can’t not love Batman” Alex mumbled sleepily, the medicine was taking him down fast and now he was just mumbling about how awesome Batman was.
“Spider-Man’s better” Jack said, placing a kiss to the top of Alex’s head.
Alex didn’t reply, already asleep. Jack’s Aunt had been watching from the edge of the room, the way Alex slept so easy when he was in Jack’s arms and the way Jack held him close. She knew love when she saw it, maybe they couldn’t see it yet but they would do.

They spend the afternoon watching movies, or Jack watching movies as Alex drifted in and out of fevered sleep. By evening Alex was slightly more aware and was happily watching the 3rd Harry Potter with his head in Jack’s lap.
“Jack”
He got a hum in reply.
“Tell me about you”
“What ya want to know?” Jack asked.
“About you, about your family, about what you like”
“Okay well... I’m the youngest in a family of three, I have an older brother and sister, my mum’s a nurse and my dad was a Doctor, he’s retired now. I live in Baltimore though my family is originally from Lebanon and I was in fact born there. I really love music, I’m currently learning to play guitar because I dream of being in a band one day”
“Wow, that’s really cool”
“Nah it’s just me, what about you?” Jack asked.
“Oh hmm... I’m originally from England, I only moved to Baltimore when I was seven”
“Wait you’re English?”
“Yeah...”
“Do you sound like Harry Potter?” Jack asked.
Alex laughed, forcing himself to sit up as he was somewhere between laughing and coughing.
“What’s so funny?” Jack asked.
“One I’m from Essex not anywhere posh like the kids in Harry Potter and two what do I sound like to you?”
“You kinda sound like some half dead zombie if I’m honest”
Alex shoved Jack in mock hurt and Jack laughed.
“You’re still adorable though” Jack said.
Alex smiled and cuddled up to Jack again, resting his head on the boy’s chest.
“What about your family?” Jack asked.
“Only child, a couple of half siblings from my dad’s first marriage but they’re all a lot older than me”
“So you had no one to have tickle fights with?”
“Jack...”
Before Alex could move Jack had hold of his sides and was tickling him, Alex tried to pull free of Jack’s grip but Jack was stronger than he looked.
“Stop! Stop it!” Alex yelled in between fits of laughter.
“Never!”
Jack continued to tickle Alex as he wiggled and tried to free himself. It was fun until Alex laughing turned into a painful sounding cough, Jack quickly helped him sit up and rubbed his back. After a long fit Alex was able to breathe again, he leant back into the couch as he caught his breath.
“Sorry Alex, I didn’t mean to make you cough. Are you okay?”
“I’m very okay, in fact I feel pretty good”
Jack smiled as Alex held out his arms to be cuddled.
After a dinner of reheated soup and pizza Alex had passed out again and Jack had carried him up to his room. His Aunt’s house was plenty big enough for them both to sleep in their own beds but they didn’t. Jack didn’t want Alex to be alone in case he needed him in the middle of the night or at least that’s what he told himself. In wasn’t that Jack loved the feeling of Alex lying next to him, or that he felt comfort in the boys arms. Nope it wasn’t that at all.
Jack managed to wake Alex enough to get some night time medicine into him before he was curled up next to him.
“Don’t leave” Alex mumbled.
“Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere”
Jack placed a kiss to Alex’s forehead and a traced line on the older’s hip until he was asleep in his arms once again.

Alex spent over half the night coughing his lungs out, by morning he could barely talk and was downright miserable. Jack was a bit of a loss at how to cheer him up, he thought he’d been getting better yesterday and now he was so ill it made Jack’s heart hurt.
“What do I do?” Jack asked.
He was downstairs making Alex a cup of tea, his Aunt was leaning on the counter beside him.
“I’m sure you can think of something to cheer him up, what does he like?”
“I don’t really know... Music I guess, we were listening to Blink on the train and just his eyes lighting up as he listened...But how does that help?”
“You’ll think of something” his Aunt said, ruffling her nephew’s hair much to his dismay.
Jack sighed and finished making the tea to take up to Alex. He found the boy sitting up in bed as he coughed again. Jack frowned at seeing him so miserable, he sunk down on the bedside beside him and rubbed his back until the fit ended.
“Here, drink this it’ll help”
Jack passed the tea in Alex’s shaky hands and hoped the warm drink would sooth his throat.
“Thanks” Alex crocked, wincing as he spoke.
“Don’t talk just drink”
Alex sipped at the tea, it helped a bit for his throat but his chest was killing. He wished all the stupid sickness would go away and leave him in peace. Alex leant back against the bed, holding the hot tea in his hands, the eyes that had been so bright when Jack had met him where dull and with his lack of voice the room was quick to fall into silence.
Just then Jack’s Aunt knocked on the door.
“Come in?” Jack questioned, wondering why he was letting his Aunt into a room in her own house.
“I thought this might help”
From behind her back she produced an acoustic guitar, one that had belonged to Jack’s uncle. Jack’s Uncle had died some three years earlier from cancer but he’d been the one to introduce Jack to music and even brought him his first guitar.
“Are you sure?” Jack asked.
His Aunt was very careful with her husband’s things, he was surprised she was letting him use his guitar, probably his most prised thing.
“I’m sure”
“Thank you”
She just smiled and left the room again. Jack picked up the guitar and sat crossed legged in front of Alex, the instrument placed in his lap. Alex raised an eyebrow at to what was going on, Jack explained all about his uncle and how great he’d been with music.
“Guess I should play something then”
Alex nodded eagerly, he’d wanted to hear Jack play ever since he’d mentioned it.
“I can’t sing so you’re just going to have to imagine the words”
Jack placed his fingers gently on the strings and began to play. Alex knew the familiar tune to Teenage Dirtbag, he tried to hum along but his voice cracked and wouldn’t let him so he settled for just clapping to the beat.
Jack smiled as he saw Alex looking happier, maybe music couldn’t make him better but it could at least cheer him up. Jack continued to play every song he could think of, including a few Blink songs Alex didn’t really know. He clapped along all the same though, he loved watching Jack play. The way he stuck his tongue out when he hit a tricky part and the way he mimed the words.
Jack was still playing even when Alex was fighting to keep his eyes open, all the coughing and general shitty feeling really took it out of him and even though he loved listening to Jack play he just couldn’t stay awake. Jack noticed Alex drifting off and swapped to play something slower, something he could fall asleep to. Blink 182 – I Miss You serenaded Alex as he slept and once the song was over Jack put the guitar down and laid down beside Alex, not sleeping but just happy to be by his side.

Later when Alex was awake again he was feeling a bit better, his fever was down though he still couldn’t talk. Jack had the unique idea of playing charades, he thought the guessing game would amuse Alex and it meant he wouldn’t have to talk. He’d had his Aunt write down some things and he’d put them in a hat for them to pick out.
“Shall I go first?” Jack asked, hopping off the bed.
Alex nodded and coughed into his fist.
Jack pulled one of the cards out of the hat and smiled at the word written on it. He held his arms up and pulled one back like he firing a bow and arrow. Alex tried not to laugh at how stupid Jack looked and quickly scribbled down his answer. Jack took the piece of paper from him and shook his head, Robin Hood was not the correct answer. Jack then got on his knees and pretended to wheel an axe. That time Alex really did laugh causing a painful cough to rip through his chest.
“Come on Alex, you can get this!”
Once Alex stopped coughing he scribbled down another answer on the little notebook Jack had given him.
“E.T? Where the fuck did you get E.T from?!” Jack exclaimed.
Alex shrugged.
“One last try”
Jack held out his hand and acted like he was trying to put a ring on. Alex wrote something down before throwing the notebook at Jack.
“Hey! Lord of the Rings you got it but still no need to throw things”
Alex stuck his tongue out and put his hand in the hat to pull out his move. Alex acted the best he could without being allowed out of bed, he waved his arms around as he pretended to be Jack Dawson.
“I have no idea...”
Alex rolled his eyes and tried pretending to drown. Expect he couldn’t lie still for long before he was forced up coughing again.
“I’m pretty sure the dead don’t cough” Jack said.
Alex just flipped him off in reply.
“I’m still stumped though... Something with flying dead people? Peter Pan?”
“It’s Titanic you idiot” Alex said, his voice barely above a whisper.
“Hey you can talk!”
“Just...” Alex said before going into a coughing fit once again.
“Well close enough”
“How could you not get Titanic? I made that easy for you” Alex crocked.
“I’m sorry I saw flying dead people!”
Alex laughed this time without coughing, finally Jack was able to hear his stupid laugh again. He was glad to see Alex feeling better but even gladder to see him smiling one again.

The next morning when Jack awoke it wasn’t to the sound of his alarm or the sound of someone dying. No it was something all together different, someone singing? He sat up and looked around, Alex wasn’t in the room and the singing seemed to be coming from down the hall. Jack got up and followed the sound, the voice was quiet and soft but it was good. Nothing like Jack’s own singing voice. He stopped outside the bathroom and pressed his ear to the door, the singing was coming from inside.
“Man, I feel like mould
It’s prom night and I’m lonely
Lo and behold
She’s walking over to me
This must be fake
My lip starts to shake
How does she know who I am?
And why does she give a damn about me?”
It was Alex, he was singing Teenage Dirtbag. Jack couldn’t believe his ears... He was good, no he was fucking great.
Jack still had his ear pressed to the door when the door opened, he nearly fell on top of Alex.
“What’re you doing?” Alex questioned.
“Oh hmm....”
“Because trying to stalk me in the shower is slightly creepy” he joked.
“I wasn’t I was... Listening to you singing” Jack mumbled.
“Oh”
“You’re really good”
“Oh thanks”
“I mean like really good, you could be a professional or something”
Alex blushed and moved past Jack back to the bedroom. Jack went after him and found him messing with his hair in the mirror, it was only then it dawned on Jack that Alex was up, about and looking rather less ill.
“How’re feeling?” he asked.
“A lot better, still kinda groggy but no longer dying”
Jack smiled, wrapping his arms around Alex’s waist and placed a kiss on the boy’s cheek, glad to find him not overly warm.
“Your fevers gone”
“Good, I’ve had enough of feeling like a bloody oven”
Jack chuckled and turned to face Alex, pulling him close so they were nose to nose. He went to kiss him but Alex pulled away, turning away to cough into his arm Jack was reminded he was still ill.
“I’m trying not to give this to you”
“We’ve been so close that you probably already have” Jack said.
“Well I don’t want to risk it either way, being that sick sucks”
Jack had to try not awwh at Alex’s downright adorableness, how could one person be so cute?

“So... what do ya want to do?” Jack asked.
They’d finished breakfast and had been sitting on the couch in the living room doing nothing for nearly an hour. Alex was at that stage where he wasn’t sick enough to sleep all the time but wasn’t well enough to do too much.
“Do you have any games?” he asked.
“No video games here but if I remember...”
Jack only half finished his sentence as he got up and wondered off. Alex stayed where he was lying on the couch until Jack came back carrying a box, a large dusty box with one word written across it in red letters.
“Monopoly? Really?”
“Yeah well you wanted a game”
Alex chuckled and sat up, watching as Jack set out the board on the coffee table.
“Can I be the little dog?” Alex asked.
“Sure, I’ll be the top hat”
Jack placed the pieces on the board and counted out the right amounts of money for both of them.
“Do you remember the rules or am I going to have to recite them for you?”
“Jack, what idiot doesn’t remember the rules to monopoly?”
“You maybe”
“Are you calling me an idiot?”
“Just shut up and roll the dice”
That’s how they spend the day, Alex won the first game, Jack creamed him in the second and by the third Alex was throwing pieces at Jack.
“Hey! Just sell your houses” Jack said as another hotel sailed passed his head.
“I don’t wanna” Alex complained.
“Well that’s what you get for landing on my places with fucking hotels on”
“It’s the dices fault not mine!” Alex exclaimed.
“You’ve been trying to pull that all this game, it’s not working. Just pay me”
Alex grumbled but passed over his final bit of money.
“Does this mean I win?” Jack asked, counting the bills in his hand.
“No, I still have money in propriety” Alex said.
“If you say so” Jack said, rolling the dice.
Alex’s eyes lit up as he counted out the spaces, Jack was about to land on the little collection of hotels he’d brought up.
“Fuck” Jack muttered as he worked it out too.
“Pay up Jacky”
“Shit...”
Jack began counting out his money, how could hotels cost so much?
“Here, don’t go spending it on strippers”
Alex laughed which had him coughing, it wasn’t as painful sounding as before but still annoying.
“Maybe I shouldn’t give you money, it’s obviously making you ill”
“No don’t take my money away!”
“How else am I going to pay for our date?” Jack asked.
“Well I guess you could have this...”
Alex held out a 100 dollar bill.
“What kind of date did you think I was taking you on? I was thinking a twenty would cover it” Jack said.
“Hey!”
“Boys, dinner!”
They were interrupted by Jack’s Aunt calling them from the kitchen, neither of them had realised it had gotten that late.
“Coming!” Jack called back.
“Do we call this game a draw?” he asked.
“No way! I was just kicking your ass”
“You had some of my money that doesn’t mean you win...” Jack said.
“Some? Some? I had all of it!” Alex exclaimed sitting down at the table.
“No you didn’t, I had 5 dollars left” Jack argued.
“Jack dear, Alex won face it” his Aunt said.
Alex stuck his tongue out at Jack across the table and Jack just huffed.
“I see you’re feeling better Alex”
“Yeah I am thanks”
“I hate to bring this up but have you two thought about what you’re going to do about going home?” Jack’s Aunt asked.
“Hmm no” Jack replied.
“Because Jack you’re booked on tomorrow’s train” she said.
“Tomorrow?” Alex asked.
“I was kind of hoping to miss it and stay here...” Jack mumbled.
“You know you’re welcome here whenever but you have to go home some time and I’m sure Alex’s family is missing him too”
No one replied, in fact nothing was really said for the rest of the meal. When Alex had eaten all he could he excused himself from the table and disappeared upstairs.
“I don’t want him to go” Jack said, playing with the food still left on his plate.
“I know sweetie, I know but he has to go home some time and now he’d getting better you can’t keep him here forever”
“I guess...”
“Go on up to him, I’ll clean this up”
“Sure?”
“Course”
Jack gave his Aunt a quick kiss on the cheek before going up the stairs after Alex. He found him sat on the bed with the blanket pulled around him.
“Tomorrow, really?” he asked.
“Yeah... I’m sorry I didn’t tell you but I thought if I didn’t say anything it wouldn’t have to happen” Jack said.
“I don’t want to go home”
“I don’t want to either but my Aunt’s right, we have to”
“Why?” Alex looked so sad when he said it Jack dived onto the bed next to him just to give him a hug.
“Because we have families to go back to, but we’ll still see each other. I still owe you a date remember”
“Oh yeah”
“You’d forgotten? You’d forgotten about our date?” Jack joked, poking Alex’s rips.
“No...” Alex said but he was blushing.
“Maybe I won’t take you then”
“Noooo” Alex whined.
Jack laughed and ruffled Alex’s hair. He thought about taking Alex on a date, about taking him out to dinner where they’d laugh and share stupid stories then they’d go for a walk down by the dock and he’d hold Alex’s hand and kiss him under the stars... The thought made Jack’s heart feel all warm and fuzzy.
“So, what shall we do? Being it’s our last night here and all” Alex asked.
“I have an idea...” Jack said, leaning over the edge of the bed and pulling the guitar from the day before on to the bed.
“If I play, will you sing?” Jack asked.
“You want me to sing?”
“Yeah, I mean you’re really good”
“I guess I can but what’d you want me to sing?” Alex asked.
“How about Teenage Dirtbag?”
“Okay, I can’t promise I’ll sound great because still kinda sick”
“Well you sounded great this morning”
“I can’t believe you were listening to me in the shower, that’s still kinda creepy man”
“What can I say? You’re that good”
Alex blushed as Jack started the song.
“Her name is Noel
I have a dream about her
She rings my bell
I got gym class in half an hour
Oh, how she rocks
In Keds and tube socks
But she doesn’t know who I am
And she doesn’t give a damn about me”
Alex started softly but slowly began to gain confidence, his voice taking on a little more power.
“’Cause I’m just a teenage dirtbag baby
Yeah, I’m just a teenage dirtbag baby
Listen to Iron Maiden maybe with me
Her boyfriend’s a dick
And he brings a gun to school
And he’d simple kick
My ass if knew the truth
He lives on my block
And drive an iroc
But he doesn’t know who I am
And he doesn’t give a damn about me”
Even with Alex’s slightly horse sounding voice it sounded amazing, Jack had goosebumps running up his arms.
“Oh yeah, dirtbag, no, she doesn’t know what she’s missin’
Oh yeah, dirtbag, no, she doesn’t know what she’s missin’
“Man, I feel like mould
It’s prom night and I am lonely
Lo and behold
She’s walking over to me
This must be fake
My lip starts to shake
How does she know who I am?
And why does she give a damn about m....”
Alex’s voice failed and he choked and coughed.
“Sorry...”
“My god Alex that was amazing”
“Really?” he asked.
“Like really good”
“Well hmm thanks”
He blushed again and Jack couldn’t lie it was adorable, he moved his hand to Alex’s cheek. Glad that he was no longer burning with fever and that his eyes were alive once again.
“Can I kiss you yet?”
Jack didn’t wait for a reply before he brought his lips to Alex’s, Alex didn’t move away he let their lips touch and the fireworks explode inside. Jack couldn’t wait any longer to feel Alex’s lips against his, he felt the butterflies and the fire in his veins. Alex was first to pull away, needing to breathe but already missing the feel of Jack’s lips against his.
“Sorry if I get you sick”
“Worth it” Jack mumbled as he went in to kiss Alex again, this time Alex’s hands tangled in his hair and Jack’s hand wrapped around his waist.
“Can we do this forever?” Alex asked.
“Diffidently”
Alex eventfully fell asleep in Jack’s arms as Jack traced lazy patterns on the boy’s arm. He didn’t want to let Alex go, he wanted them to stay like this forever but he thought if for now it might have to end but he glad it could end with a kiss. Maybe... Just maybe winter wasn’t so stupid after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta da! I hope you enjoyed :)