Status: Just began. Ongoing.

The Hero in All of Us

The First Encounter

“Apparently, Jude, it’s something called reverse racism which, according to-”

Bz.

“On Highway Rises, we were reminded of how dangerous life can be. Just a friendly reminder to lock your doors-”

Bz.

“Next up, an interview with a woman who barely escaped the bank hold-up last night. Supposedly, a few of the suspects are still at large, despite police’s best efforts to-”

Click.

I pulled my hand away from the switch, returning it to my steering wheel as I pulled into a parking space. The world was already dramatic enough; we didn’t need radio shows to emphasize the fact. With a sigh, I forced my door open, grabbing my bag and bow tie as I slammed it shut, pressing the alarm button. No noise. I pressed it again, this time harder, causing my thumb to go white. Still nothing.

I gave a light groan and gently kicked my car, causing the alarm to go off. “Every time…” I muttered, frantically pressing the button again. This time it gave a satisfying beep, and I was met with silence and, admittedly, a few glares from within the store. “Oops,” I chuckled lowly, walking in through the back door and seeing the girls carrying serving platters as they went in and out of the kitchen. They didn’t bid me a “hello,” instead putting their nose in the air and straightening their backs.

I gave them a tight-lipped smile anyway, attempting to keep our relationships cordial. My eyes searched the kitchen, seeing a couple of chefs hard at work, and a few less so, using microwaves for “five-star” dishes.

“Jay! Incoming!”
I ducked instantly, seeing the dishwater fly over my head and hit the back door. My eyes followed its trajectory, glaring slightly at the lanky busboy clumsily positioned in front of me. “Drew,” I sighed.

“I’m sorry!” He yelled while scrambling to find the mop, attempting to ignore the chefs as they glared at him. It was closest to me so I grabbed it, starting to scrub. “It won’t happen again! I swear! I’m sorry!”

The chefs gave multiple grunts in reply, passive-aggressively throwing the dirty dishes for him to clean. He immediately went to it and, when the floor was dry enough with a Wet Floor sign on it, I rolled up my sleeves and began to help. “Yeesh,” Drew muttered to me, elbowing my side while scrubbing off the stains on the dishes. “Tough crowd.” He gestured to the chefs, who now looked particularly perturbed compared to earlier.

“Well, Drew, I have to say after the fifth time, it is starting to get a bit repetitive. Maybe you should think of a new act?”

“I really am sorry, geez. Anyway, did you get any water on you?” I checked myself quickly, shaking my head when I was sure there wasn’t a drop. “Good, because I can’t afford dry cleaning on this salary.”

“You weren’t going to offer it anyway.”

“I know, right?”

Rolling my eyes, I thought back to my first day at work and how the same thing had happened- but with hot soup, considerably more dangerous. Drew was initially hired as a chef, since he was quite skilled with cooking, but he was so clumsy he was demoted to prep, then waiter, and then, finally, busboy - and obviously, that hadn’t helped much.

“Alright, I think I’ll have to take over,” he laughed, seeing my pitiful attempt to scrub the silverware.

“Get back to being a waitress.”

I shrugged, patting him on the back and muttering my support while I head to the locker room to change.

When the final bobby pin was in my hair I looked at my reflection, straightening my back as I clipped on my nametag. “Jaime,” I read, shaking my head. “Let’s hope I get through today.”

I opened the bathroom door and threw my bag next to Drew’s, sure it would be safe there. If they were to mess with anyone it would be with Drew, not me.

“Put on a smile, sweet cheeks,” the head waiter said, shoving a serving platter into my hands. I took a ticket and started to pile on food, feeling the weight grow. “You’re on.”

With a push I was in front of the crowds, each of whom paid me no attention. I was the silent scout, expertly maneuvering the misplaced bags, chairs, and customers. I immediately spotted my destination, accidentally interrupting a few waitress’s war paths, jumping over their misplaced feet. Ignoring the somewhat routine affair, I approached the guests.

“Good evening,” I greeted with a smile, my ponytail bobbing about as I set up the platter on the holder. They bid me a few smiles and a few greetings, for which I was grateful.

“Mm looks good!” one man groaned, wiping his hands together. The table and I erupted in laughter, mine a tad forced.

“I’d sure hope so, it definitely is heavy enough.” Again, they laughed politely. I took off their plates, smiling pleasantly. “Chicken Alfredo, shrimp on linguine…”

I gently placed their plates on the table, making sure everyone’s water was topped off before saying, “Enjoy your meal!”

“Thank you!”

“You’re welcome!” I walked away with a polite smile, putting the holder back where it belonged. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a man sitting at a table with a somewhat… peculiar air about him. He wasn’t eating, but it didn’t look like he was expecting any food, let alone a waitress to take his order. He was scanning the room while sipping on his water, seemingly introspective.

I blinked curiously, seeing another waitress rush past me. “Karen,” I called out, and she looked over, raising an eyebrow. “Have you served him yet?”

She followed my eyes and saw the solitary man, scrunching her eyebrows. “That’s not my table, but I don’t think Lindsey’s hit him yet. She’s been a little backed up.” I mused, still cocking my head
slightly.

“Do you know how long he’s been there?”

She looked back at him, shrugging. “Not sure. I’ve filled up his water a few times, but I couldn’t tell you how often.”

I nodded, watching as his eyes surveyed the room once more. “Thanks.”

As I was about to walk away, Karen spoke up. “Actually, Jaime, would you mind covering him? You’ll get the tip – assuming he gives one, that is… but by the look of his watch, I’d wager he would.” I shrugged, smiling at her.

“Gladly. Thanks.” I grabbed my notepad from my pocket and a water pitcher from the cart, confidently striding over to the man. He seemed to notice me, and with a clearing of his throat he sat back in his chair, distancing himself. I poured more water into his glass, placing the pitcher on the table and putting my pad in front of me. “Hello sir! Do you know what you’d like today?”

He looked down at the menu, fiddling with its edges before abruptly shifting his gaze, looking me straight in the eye. I gave him a polite smile, expecting him to begin leafing through the menu once more.

Instead, he cleared his throat, taking an uncomfortable sip of his newly filled glass to reconcile the silence in the air.

I cleared my throat also, putting my pen behind my ear. “If you’d like a few more minutes, I can come back. Or, if you have any questions I can answer –”

“No.” He took another glance around the room, leaning forward from his previously relaxed position, as though he anticipated getting up in the near future. I thought nothing of it, considering the man had been drinking water for quite some time, and I looked back at him, readying my pen once more.

“Oh, okay, so then how may I help –?”

My words caught in my throat, the pleasant smile immediately wiped from my face and replaced with an expressive mixture of panic, fear, and disbelief. The man abruptly stood up, brought me into a choking position with my back facing him, almost as though I was a human shield, and frantically motioned about the room with his previously concealed gun. With the force of the movement, the man’s table shook, causing the pitcher to crash onto the ground, alerting everyone in the restaurant to the danger they were now in.

A collective gasp filled the room, and a few people motioned towards their pockets and bags, rushing to call 911. Instead, the man let out a loud, disapproving warning shot into the air, causing everyone – most of all, me – to flinch. “No one calls the cops. I’ve got eyes all around this room. You’ve been dining with them. You’ve been laughing with them. They will kill you if they see anyone even glance at their phone. If you try to run –” I felt the cool barrel against my temple, and I let out a pitiful cry of terror, clenching my eyes shut. “– I will blow her brains out, and then I will blow your brains out. Are we clear?” Silence. He shot off another round, his voice much louder the second time around. “Are we clear?” There were nods, cries of affirmation, guests supplicating him to please, just, let them go.

Drew came running out when the second gunshot went off, but stopped short of lunging at the man when he saw me in his grasp. “Jay…” he breathed in awe, placing his hands out in front of him in an almost defensive manner, attempting to pacify him. “Sir, please, we’ll do anything you’d like, but let our waitress go.”

Another round. “I’m the one calling the shots here!” Drew nodded, quickly retreating, swallowing his words with a worried gaze in my direction. “Here’s what’s going to happen: You’re going to empty out your wallets, your coin purses, the register, the tip jar, the safe in the back – everything – and I am going to take it. You are all going to move slowly, and you’re not going to say a word to each other. I will hold onto this girl, and after you all give me what I ask for, I will leave and your lives will still be intact. I will be taking this one –” he shook his grip on me, to emphasize who he was speaking of “– back with me, to ensure I will not be followed or tackled. If I see any of you in my rearview mirror, I will kill her. Am I understood?” Everyone nodded, beginning to empty out their wallets for the night. I felt hot tears well up in my eyes and begin to make their way down my face, pooling in between my skin and his.

It all happened so quickly. Suddenly, here I am, 20 years old with my life on the line, relying on the honesty and morality of a man currently holding me in a chokehold. What began as an average workday suddenly became… this. My eyes flicked around the room, stopping briefly on Drew who was staring directly at me. He broke our gaze, frantically eyeing the steak knife, the glass plates, the heavy bell on the counter – anything that had the potential to remove me from danger. When his eyes met mine again, I immediately mouthed “No.” It would never work. A bullet is faster than a human, especially Drew.

The bustle of coins and cash filled my ears, as the man gestured to another to begin rounding up the funds. I let out a whimper, speaking only slightly above a whimper. “Please let me go, I’m just a waitress.” His grip tightened, cutting off my air supply. Obviously pleading was not going to work. I searched the restaurant again, looking for anything I could take advantage of.

Suddenly, everything went dark. I would have believed I had passed out, had it not been for the collective yelp across the room when the group’s vision became impaired. “What –” His grip loosened, then fell away completely. I heard a few grunts across the room, a light thud behind me, and before I could register what had occurred, I was in somebody’s arms.

“Sorry about this,” a smooth voice whispered. I didn’t recognize it, and before I could begin struggling I realized we were outside. Commotion could be heard inside the restaurant, but nothing more audible than Drew’s voice yelling out my name, searching for me. I made a motion to go back in, but I was held tightly. “I just wanted to make sure you’re alright. It must have been frightening.”

I finally looked up at my captor, eyes wide with confusion and terror. My voice caught in my throat, and I moved my hands to it, feeling the ghost of the man’s grip from earlier. “I’m not here to take you anywhere, you can relax. I just want to make sure you’re okay before you have to face everyone. I know how people try to put on a front after going through something like that. I’m a stranger, and I’ll never see you again. You can cry.”

His face was concealed both by the shadows of the night and the black mask he war over most of his face, so only his lips and chin were exposed. The moonlight bounced off of the material, making me almost have to squint to get a good look at him. As soon as I did that, I felt the tears begin to well into my eyes, and I let out a pathetic sob, the wailing raking through my entire body. He held me closer, gently shushing me, consoling me with sweet words. “You’re okay. You’re safe now. You’re okay.” I clutched onto his shirt, letting the tears fall freely. I was shaking violently, from fear, exhaustion, and most of all relief. Whoever he was, he was right: I was okay.

I took a long breath, looking up at him once more, tears still streaming down my face. “Did you… save me?” I managed to breathe out, taking in a few more deep breaths to steady myself.

He smiled. “Something like that.”

“Why?”

“Because you needed saving.”

I peeled myself off of him, and he let me stand, following me to make sure I didn’t collapse. I felt my knees go weak, and I placed a hand on his shoulder right as he held me along the abdomen, helping me stay stable. “Thank you…” I whispered, and he simply nodded in return. My hands reached towards his mask, but he quickly flinched away, strongly holding my wrist. “Who are you?”

“Sorry, that’s classified. It would ruin the air of mystery.” He let the last word hang, leaning forward as he whispered the word in my ear. I gulped, nodding my head. He gave another kind smile, motioning back to the restaurant. “Here, I’ll help you back. Your friend has been calling your name for a while, and I think they’re starting to figure out how I cut the lights.”

We slowly made our way to the back entrance of the place, and once I was sure I could stand on my own, I moved away from him, holding myself together with an arm wrapped around my abdomen. He nodded, moving away slowly, as though to ensure I wouldn’t collapse again. “Keep this one between us, okay Jaime? I’ll take care of the rest.” Before I could say anything, he was gone, disappearing into the shadows. I instinctively went for my nametag, but instead of the familiar piece of plastic between my fingers, I felt a cold, hard metal. I looked down at the object, seeing a metal
necklace protruding from my pocket. I pulled it out, staring intently at the figure.

It was a muted silver, in the shape of the masked man’s own façade. It was reacting to the moonlight much in the same way his mask had, gleaming so brightly I nearly had to shield my eyes. I clenched it in my fist and shoved in into my pants pocket, taking a deep breath, mentally preparing myself for confronting the scene. I pushed the image of the man to the back of my mind, my hand resting on the doorknob of the restaurant, not quite being able to turn it yet. Before I was prepared, the door flew open on its own accord, and Drew came barreling out, in the process of yelling my name again when he saw me, silent, surprised, looking at the ground. I couldn’t bring myself to move my eyes, or to say anything. I just stood.

The scene was silent for a few moments, before Drew brought me into his arms, breathing roughly. “Thank God. Thank God. You’re okay. Thank God. You’re here. You’re okay. Thank God.” He repeated the mantra multiple times, relief evident in each syllable. I hugged him back, letting out a shaky breath, attempting to keep myself together. He pushed me away from him, holding onto my shoulders. “What happened? Where did you go? How did you escape?”

I simply shook my head, not able to answer the question honestly. Even if I had told him the truth of the masked man, I myself had trouble believing it was true. He frowned. “Did you see where they went? It was dark one second, and when we finally got the lights back up the thugs were gone but without the money. Everyone called the police, they’re in the front right now, but I still couldn’t find you. I thought they took you. You’re okay. You’re alright.”

“Yeah…” I muttered, shaking my head once more, trying to get out of my rut. “Is everyone okay?”

He nodded. “Somebody says he saw the guy collapse, but he’s not sure what happened afterwards. It was way too dark to make anything out.”

I thought back to the scene – to what I remembered. Honestly, I was no better off than the man Drew was talking about. I knew the guy holding me had collapsed, but I wasn’t sure how. I wasn’t sure how I got outside so quickly, or how I ended up in the masked man’s arms. But it happened. I felt the cool metal in my pocket.

Yeah. It definitely happened.

“Here, let’s get you inside.”

I followed Drew inside, but not before taking one last look outside, checking the alleyway I was just in, scanning the rooftops for the masked man. I spotted him casually sitting on the edge of a roof, and it appeared to me he was staring directly at me, not moving his head in any direction. I felt his eyes bare into me, and I took another hard swallow. Drew said something, and I looked up to acknowledge him, despite the fact my mind was elsewhere. When I turned around again, I glanced at the buildings.

He was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for taking the time to read my work! I'm excited to continue working on this project, and I'd appreciate any feedback.
xo
Triolio