Status: (Ongoing story.)

Darkened Days Are Ahead

1

Dean closed his eyes and he saw his brother Sammy’s face as he fell into the oblivion mass that took Lucifer the one who had resided in his body and Michael who resided in Adam’s. A different set of brothers locked in an eternal battle of trying to please their father. He understood that, he had no problems with it. What pissed Dean off was that for all his fighting, all the heartache he and Sammy had ever had was gone without so much as a single explanation why. He had failed Sammy as he always seemed to do, there was nothing he could do but give up. His hand locked around the steering wheel and the skin over his knuckles began so thin that rivulets of blood seeped out. Pain was the only thing that Dean could understand, Castiel had taken the blows Lucifer Sam had given him.

He was left with no traces of his brother besides the fucking heartache that resided in him, his eyes opened and he realized that he had drifted over into the other lane on the isolated stretch of highway that was leading to his next and final hunting trip. The paper he held in his other hand had two words scrawled on it in Bobby’s messy hand writing. Though Dean had all but force written for the elder Hunter he had wished there was better information on the paper. ‘INDEPENDENCE – Many’ what it meant he had no clue but he’d make whatever demon trash pay for the bodies it was piling up. His goodbye to Hunting and a bitter farewell to Sam. Pulling off into a dirt parking lot of the local bar Dean could hear his brother lecturing him even then.

“Dean, seriously another bar? We need to get a hotel first…” Looking at the empty seat where Sam used to sit he frowned and opened his door to slide out of it before locking the Impala door.

“Driver picks the rest stops, passenger shuts his cake hole Sammy.” He said softly and patted the top of the car before striding through a cloud of dust and into the bar, which to his surprise was empty for a Friday night. A few older men were huddled around a table looking at him like he was an instant threat, the stranger. Giving them a nod he went straight up to the bartender, a petite blonde who had her back to him and caught the eye of two young men who were most likely his age. Their eyes focused on the blonde with a ferocity that he didn’t like, clearing his throat he shifted in his seat to rest his elbows on the wood and obstruct their view. Seconds after he did so the blonde lifted her head up and met his gaze in the mirror. The striking blue color made him frown even more than normal. No flirting smiles, no sarcastic remarks. Dean Winchester was stunned.

“Thanks” She said in a low voice as she turned toward him, pulling out a piece of paper he noticed the scrawl was eerily familiar. Bending his head down to catch her gaze he realized that she was more gorgeous than he realized; her skin was a pale creamy complexion that made her eyes spark blue, her lips were a lush pink that made her lips look even fuller. While her structure compared with her body made her look like an angel there was something in how she stood that made him realize she was far from that.

“Are they bothering you?” Dean asked as he glanced over his shoulder at the other men who were most likely planning his death. It wouldn’t be the first time, yet it would be a good enough reason. Protecting the woman from their gazes, did she go through that every night?

“Mm they come in here a lot and never did anything but lately it’s like…well they became animals.” She said and shrugged a slim shoulder before dragging her gaze to meet his fully, a smudge of something was on her cheek the reddish color made him wonder just what it was. “What can I get you anyways stranger? I’m Selene by the way.” She said, handing him her hand for him to shake. That was a contact that always made him debate on yes or no. Sure she seemed innocent enough but was she? Dean just didn’t know. Yet even still he gave her his hand and shook it tightly amazed at how it felt in his. It was small and dainty, fitting in his perfectly and it was the softest hand he had ever felt compared to his rough hand. How did she keep them so protected?

“Beer is fine, food if you have any is even better.” He didn’t even realize when the last time he had eaten was. Her tiny lips set in a smirk and she gestured over her shoulder for him to follow her, sliding off his stool he let his boots hit heavy on the floor before he followed her around the counter and into the back. Doubling as a tiny dining room she opened the fridge directly near the doorway and handed him two covered plates.

“The blue one is fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy. The white one is a peach cobbler I made last night. My co-worker didn’t come in so it went to waste” She said and bit her lip as she looked up at him with her blue eyes. Coming to his shoulder he realized that she was even more petite yet there was muscle to her. Fried food and pie that she made from scratch. Damn if she wasn’t looking better and better.

“Thanks, is it okay if I eat it here?” He asked and pointed to a wicker chair that leaned against the table in an effort to give more room. When she shook her head and went back into the bar area he called out after her, trying to make conversation last with her. “My name is Dean…” catching her grin he began to prepare his food and sat down to dig into the plates that had been offered. The time passed by with silence in the bar until the men who he could tell was the older group wandered out one by one, that left him, Selene and the two men. Sliding his hand to the gun he had hidden in his pocket he cleared his throat and stood up. Making his way slowly to the doorway he felt the hair stand on the back of his neck, as he stepped through he saw Selene pinned down to the bar. One of the men were holding her down using his forearm as a barricade and the other had Selene pinned by wedging himself in between her legs. Dean felt eyes widened and he felt his body begin to shake with violence. He knew men did this, it happened but to see it happening made Dean furious. Lifting his gun out of his coat pocket he fired a shot right past the one who had her pinned down’s ear.

They broke apart instantly and the blonde went down swinging, her head whipped forward and she connected her skull to the man’s nose at the same time her elbow sent its way into the other man’s throat before she skidded backwards into Dean’s arm which was surprisingly outstretched to her. Her body was shaking just as badly as his, but hers was from fear.

“Get out before I waste two bullets on you; I hate wasting bullets’ the Hunter hissed and watched as something dangerous flitted through their eyes and they grudgingly left with only the hissing of threats in their wake. It was only until he heard a car drive away did he let go of Selene to look down at her. Tear streaks were down her cheeks and her eyes were wide with fear, rubbing his thumb over her lip he waited for any kind of emotion to go through her. Fear, anger, joy anything that would give him an idea about how to handle her. Finally she took a deep breath and stepped back from him. Her hand reached his own that was holding his gun and slid the piece on the bar counter. As she licked her lips Dean felt his body began to release the tension. He wanted to kiss her and he knew that would be pushing her too far, she had just suffered an assault. But he was surprised when she clutched his jacket and leaned up on her toes to kiss his lips softly. It was enough to send nice Dean out the door and send flirtatious Dean back into the present. His hand cupped her hips and he dragged her into his body, as he kissed her he bit down on her lip before sucking it back into his mouth. Her tiny groan followed into his hair and she tugged him down into the kiss more and he knew immediately that she wanted him as much as he wanted her. Not knowing why, not realizing just how far he would go with her Dean picked her up and set her on a bar stool and slid in between her legs. A sudden gasp of air made him pull backwards and look down at her. Her eyes were the deepest blue and her pale pink lips were glossy from their kiss and her body was heaving up and down from excitement. They had to stop and he took another step back only to find himself being dragged back to her.

“Don’t, I-I won’t kiss you again just don’t back away.” She said softly and he looked up at the ceiling and tried to control any thoughts and actions that would send his heroic deed crumbling into the dust. She was scared and had just been through an act that would have only gotten worse. He knew of all people that after certain things you had to erase them with whatever replacement you could and that could be good or bad. Hers was kissing him and he had to realize that she didn’t mean to do it. He was Dean Winchester full of smart ass humor, rude comments and foul intentions for the most part. Pretty and smart women like her always saw right through them and most were too kind to call him on it. Hell she was smart enough to know that he was backing away for cover, to run right back for his car and drive off.
“Do it Dean…” a small voice ordered him and he found himself frowning at how much it sounded like Sammy. Looking own at her he saw something he had only seen in one other person a very long time ago. Fear, determination, anger and vengeance. The little slip of a blonde may have looked fragile but there was something underneath that made him want to take another step back. Yet that wasn’t the only thing that kept Dean from listening to the voice. In a far off corner of the bar lay something someone ‘normal’ wouldn’t have caught. Only a hunter would. The unfinished and almost worn out signs of a Devils trap, which meant that something had happened or was still happening in that little bar. He was a hunter through and through he would investigate the trap, he’d find out what was going on and he’d once and for all shake the feeling of why Selene was at the bottom of everything.