Suspicious Minds

chapter five investigation gone wrong

i took a deep breath as i closed the front door behind me, i leant against it feeling dirty after spending the night pretending to be Sofia …; i was just glad to be home now.

Shaking my head as i pushed myself away from the door, i nibbled on my bottom lip as my stomach grumbled; i was starving and hoped that my aunt had left some food in the microwave since i didn’t feel like cooking.

Heading into the kitchen i paused when i noticed that the upstairs hallway light was on, i knew my aunt wouldn’t be awake at this hour and it made me wonder what was going on.

i slowly started to make my way upstairs, i was careful of the steps that i knew creaked so i didn’t make any sound as i headed up the stairs; my hands reaching for the gun that was tucked into the back of my jeans. “Tía Carlota?” Mariana called softly, i pointed the gun a head of me as i pressed my body against the wall; my years of training making my glad that she knew what to do at times like this.

Reaching the top of the stairs, i swallowed feeling my heart pound in my chest and i wondered what was going on; the house was far too quiet and it made me worry.

“I should have known it was you,” a voice hissed making me freeze, she felt a gun press against her back making her groan as she slowly raised her hands knowing that she would have to be careful now.

The person behind her took her gun and threw it down the hallway away from them, they had always known that Mariana Cortez was going to be trouble turning to face the intruder in her home, Mariana stared shocked as she came face to face with her boss, Marcelo Castro, she’d had suspicions about him but this was something she never expected.

“Always knew that it would be you that I’ve have to deal with, couldn’t keep that nose of yours out of my business,” Marcelo snarled keeping his gun aimed at me, he couldn’t let her go and he knew that this had to be done.

i was silent watching Marcelo and wondering what he was doing, he had the best job in the world and it came with so many benefits; i didn’t understand why he was working for the bad guys.

“You don’t have to do this,” i said calmly, she knew that he was hanging on by a thread and if i didn’t do something that he would put a bullet straight through me chest; i wasn’t even wearing my bullet-proof vest.

Marcelo let out a hollow laugh as he stared at Mariana, he had always thought that she was a bit soft and there was no way his boss would let this slide; she had to die. “Trust me I do,” Marcelo replied moving to pull the trigger, however just before he had the chance to do so there was a crash downstairs that made him look away from Mariana.

i didn’t waste a moment in knocking the gun away from him, i dived away from Marcelo as i heard shouting downstairs; i wasn’t going to leave without my aunt.

Marcelo gritted his teeth, he had heard that Lionel Messi Cuccittini was sweet on Mariana and he should have known that he’d have people watching over the cop; he whirled around and fired knowing that he had one chance.

i gasped in pain and dropped to the floor, my hands moving to clutch at my burning shoulder; I rolled onto me back to see Marcelo walking towards me.

Marcelo gave me a kick to the stomach and smirked down at me, he pointed his gun down at me knowing that he had to finish this. “Please,” I whispered feeling sick and dizzy, I felt like i was going to pass out and I knew that he had just broken my ribs; i stared up at Marcelo as the world started to go dark.

Marcelo stared down at me coldly and moved to pull the trigger, she would have been a great cop if she had just left this entire investigation alone like the others had.

“Adiós perra,” Marcelo spat at me as I felt herself slipping away, the last thing i heard before i passed out was the firing of a gun.