It's Just Not That Simple

Escape Into The Mind

I was sat on the low wooden chest in front of my bedroom window, staring down at the small café below. It was a rustic café, typically English, an unusual find in the multi-cultural city of London. I could see my two characters, Jonathan and Sally meeting there, there hidden identities finally revealed, only to realise they’d been in love with each other this whole time and hadn’t even realised it. She would be sat, drinking tea, a half-eaten scone on her plate, and reading. But what would Sally be reading?

“Ah, but of course, the play she is studying for her degree, Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night.” I smiled to myself, seeing my character dressed in a thigh length, white, flowing skirt, and a more fitted powder yellow top with flowing arms. On her feet she wore strappy sandals with a slight wedge, her nails and toe nails painted a baby blue. In front of her sat the origami rose, placed nonchalantly on top of her study notes. Large black sunglasses, similar to those of Audrey Hepburn would balance on her nose, and a large floppy summer hat would cover her blonde hair.

“They’re not study notes though. They’re notes for her book.” I smiled and noted down everything so far into my own notebook before returning my gaze and my thoughts to the café in the street below.

Jonathan would come then, in dark jeans and a white shirt, with the top three buttons undone. He wouldn’t wear a hat, but he’d have dark sleek sunglasses, giving off an air of James Bond, carrying a jacket over his shoulder, one finger hooked through the loop. In one pocket would be a very snazzy phone, and in the other his black leather wallet. No cash though. He never did carry cash. As far as he was concerned, if it didn’t accept plastic, it wasn’t worth visiting.

The red, origami rose would be the first thing he spotted, then his eyes would travel up her body, until he met her eyes, having spotted him, she’d have whipped her sunglasses off in shock and disgust. There was no way this man could be the man she was meant to meet here. Sally simply refused to believe it.

“Yo, dreamer, stop talking to yourself and come help me!” Jacqui called from my doorway. I shot her a glare put placed my notepad and pen on the desk all the same, before dragging myself up and joining Jacqui in the living room.

“What on earth could you possibly need my help with that can’t wait?” I moaned, still unwilling to be pulled out of my writing zone.

“Our housewarming party. Duh!” I received an exasperated look from Jacqui. I rolled my eyes and caught my long ginger hair in a top knot and landed heavily on the sofa facing the window. I stuffed my hands into the pocket of my purple Dave Giles hoody; I lifted my legs up onto the sofa, and rested my head against the arm. I enjoyed parties, occasionally. Mostly when they weren’t mine. Being the centre of attention wasn’t something I was keen on.

“Come on then, get dressed!” Jacqui ordered as I pulled a grey beanie out from behind a cushion.

“Why?” I glanced over at her nervously, dropping the beanie, she was clearly planning something and I didn’t like the idea of what it could possibly be. Jacqui simply grinned at me before pulling her purse out.

“Shopping?!” I stared at Jacqui disbelievingly.

“Clothes shopping!” She corrected me as I let out a loud groan.

“You’ve gotta look good for the guys! Never know what might happen!” Jacqui winked. I had a feeling she did know what would happen, and would make sure whatever she was planning went without a hitch. Just at that moment, there was a knock on the door, Jacqui got up and went over to the door as I started to head over to my bedroom I heard Louis’ voice in the hallway, I pulled it open and ran in.

“Louis! Save me! Jacqui’s trying to take me shopping!”

“Quick make your escape to mine, I’ll distract her!” Louis replied with a devilish grin on his lips. I made a dash for it past him and Jacqui, out of the door, down the stairs and started banging on the door.

“Sheesh Lou, remember your key….oh!” Harry stopped midsentence, a surprised look on his face, however his famous grin quickly took over.

“Where’s the fire Roxy?” He chuckled.

“Jacqui’s trying to take me clothes shopping, you’ve gotta hide me!” I begged, trying to give him my best puppy eye impression. I was pretty sure I looked like a fool, but I really didn’t wanna go clothes shopping. Harry smirked and pulled the door opened wider letting me in. He grabbed my hand and pulled me through their apartment. Liam and Niall were crashed on the sofa watching some TV programme, as we quickly headed through the lounge. Within minutes I found myself in a bedroom, or what I assumed was a bedroom. Clothes were scattered everywhere, posters covered the walls and the curtains were still drawn. Harry pulled open the doors to his wardrobe, which was unsurprisingly empty. He grabbed my hand pulled me inside before shutting the doors. We both slid down and sat on the floor of the wardrobe. The adrenaline rush that had been pulsing through me as I escaped Jacqui and followed Harry through his apartment subsided as we sat there silently. This had to be the most bizarre situation I’d ever been. Here I was, sat in a wardrobe with a guy. A guy I’d met only yesterday. A guy who also happened to be becoming more famous by the day.

“Safe to say I’ve never done this before!” Harry chuckled quietly.

“You’ve never hidden inside a wardrobe before?” I asked amazed, my eyebrows lifting up in disbelief.

“Of course I’ve hidden in a wardrobe before, but never with a girl like you, or any girl for that matter.” I could hear his smirk, even though I couldn’t see it. I felt my blush creep up my neck and into my cheeks, and was immediately grateful for the darkness.

“When I was little, I always believed that my wardrobe led to Narnia, I just didn’t have the key to open the door. I always wanted to meet Mr Tumnus.” I admitted into the darkness. The words had escaped my lips before I registered what I was saying. What on earth was I doing telling Harry this?! He’d only write me off as a dreamer…or a nutcase. Either way, I wasn’t exactly helping myself.

“It would be pretty awesome to go to Narnia.” Harry agreed. I relaxed at this comment.

“However I’d much rather go to Neverland.” He mused. A giggle escaped my lips at this. Neverland would be a great place to go. Anything could happen in Neverland. Anything at all.

“Roxy went to a party as Tinkerbell when she was younger.” Jacqui informed Harry as she and Louis pulled open the doors.

“Noooooooooooo!” I groaned, blinking hard as the light blinded me temporarily. As I regained my site, I caught Harry’s amused look.

“Oh shut up Styles. You suck anyway. Jacqui found me.” I pouted as I pulled myself up out of the wardrobe. Standing up, I had a better view of my soon-to-be-ex-best-friend. Her lips were slightly redder than normal, and there was a definite sparkle in her eye. Harry’s hiding skills had not slowed down the hunt; instead it was Louis who had slowed down the chase with his own form of distraction. This shopping trip became a lot more enjoyable than it had originally been. Nothing much happened between me and Harry in the wardrobe, however Jacqui couldn’t deny nothing happened between her and Louis, and, as her best friend, I was determined to find out the details.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thankyou to everyone who has subscribed to the story so far, it's such encouragement to see people enjoying the story enough to want to come back for more!

Thanks to M.o.n.s.t.e.r for the recommendation too!

For anyone who is curious about who Dave Giles is he's a very talented musician, check out his YouTube channel here!