Status: Inactive, being re-written.

Something's Gotta Give - Original Verison

Unexpected Guest

Jade's Point of View

Jack and I didn’t speak much the rest of the night, though he did tease me about getting arrested for something so stupid. It was stupid, of course. But at the time, I hadn’t cared. I was still mad about the whole shitty situation with Jay and Isabel, as was Alex, and he needed to blow off a little steam about my brother sleeping with his sister. Was it petty? Absolutely. And even though we’d been arrested – Alex was really on a roll with that lately – I still didn’t regret it.

I slept in late the next morning just because I could, and when I finally decided to emerge from my room, coffee was in order. I threw on a robe over my boxer shorts and tank top before making my way into the kitchen. When I turned the corner down the stairs, the last person I expected to see was sitting at my breakfast bar.

“Hi Jade,” Isabel said quietly.

I wanted to go the aggressive and rude route, but given what happened the previous night, that probably wasn’t the best idea. I settled on a simple, “Hi.”

I walked past her and moved around the kitchen to start making my coffee. I didn’t offer her any. It’d probably stain her perfectly white teeth anyway. As I made my coffee, I stole glances at her here and there, waiting for her to say something. I had to admit, Isabel really was gorgeous. She sat at the breakfast bar looking elegant and put together, and I was still in my bathrobe at eleven in the morning on a weekday. Jesus Christ, no wonder Jay cheated on me with her.

“Did my brother let you in?” I asked her as I poured my coffee. She nodded. “Where is he anyway?” So I can kill him later, I added silently.

“I think he said he was going to Alex and Skye’s house,” Isabel responded. “Something about an apology.”

I nodded in response. “I see.” Good lord, this was awkward. “So what are you doing here anyway?”

“I just wanted to talk,” she answered. “About last night, and other things.” She must have noticed my frown when she mentioned last night. “Don’t worry, I talked Jay into dropping the charges.”

“Thanks.” I really didn’t want to apologize, but felt the need to, just to make sure the charges stayed dropped. “Sorry. It was meant to be a little bit off half-drunken fun.”

“It’s okay,” she said, and looked down, scoffing to herself. “We deserve it, honestly.” I hadn’t been expecting her to say that, that was for sure. “It was wrong, what we did. I know that. Jay doesn’t seem to want to admit that to himself, but I know it was shitty. I’m the one who’s sorry.”

Had I actually woken up, or was this all a dream? “Thanks, I guess. Although you should be the one apologizing to Alex, and Jay should be apologizing to me.”

“Trust me, you’ll never get an apology out of Jay,” she said, shaking her head. “And I could never face Alex again. I didn’t know he was coming home that day he caught me with Jay, I got the dates mixed up. And I never dreamed he would want to propose to me. I didn’t think he really cared about me that much. In fact, I always thought he still loved you even though he wouldn’t admit it.” She scoffed to herself. “I could say the same thing about Jay. For as much as he claims to hate you now, I think he stills loves you. They say that love and hate exist on the same plane, you know.”

That certainly made a lot of sense with Alex and me, that was for sure. But why was she telling me all this? Why now?

“It’s just strange, I guess,” she went on, “having been in love with two different guys who love you.”

I had no idea what to say to that. I was having a hard time believing that Alex still loved me when he’d bought that ring for Isabel, and that Jay still loved me after all the hurtful things he’d said and done. It didn’t make sense to me, but even if she’d explained it, it still wouldn’t. Instead of responding to what she’d said, I got up and grabbed another mug from the cabinet. “Do you want some coffee?”

“Sure,” Isabel agreed, smiling. I poured her a cup and passed it to her. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” I replied and sat back down with her. After her confession, I was still at a loss for words and it was starting to get awkward. “Listen, not that I don’t appreciate you coming over and telling me all of this, but why now? Especially after we trashed your yard.”

“I have to admit, the toilet was kind of funny and unexpected,” she smiled. “The toilet paper…not so much, but I understand, I suppose.” She took a sip of her coffee and sighed. “As for why now…I don’t really know. I guess I’m having doubts about Jay. I’m thinking about leaving him.”

“Really?” I asked, raising my eyebrows.

“Yeah,” she said sheepishly. “I feel so weird telling you all this. I know we were never close and you never liked me much…” That was true up until that morning. “…but I just need to tell it to somebody. I can’t be with the guy that’s in love with another girl again.” She shrugged. “I don’t know what to do, though.”

“I don’t really know what to tell you,” I replied, crossing my legs. “If you want to leave him, then do it. If you’re not happy, it’s not worth it. You’re young. Hell, we all are.”

She mulled this over for a moment, drinking more of her coffee. “You’re right. I’m thinking about going home, going back to school.”

“It might be a fresh start,” I offered. “Sometimes that’s what you need.”

“Yeah,” she agreed and finished her coffee. “Anyway, I should go. Thanks for having me.”

Not that she’d really given me much of a choice. “You’re welcome. Thanks for the apology.”

“Thanks for listening,” Isabel replied. “I appreciate it. It was good to get it all off my chest.” She smiled at me. “I can see why they loved you.”

I was mean and bitter and cold, a fucking hurricane with an occasional calm. I had no idea what she was talking about yet again. And she was still making it awkward. “Well, good luck with everything. I’ll walk you out.”

I held the door open for her and stood on the porch as she got into her car and got settled. I waved as she drove away, then headed back inside. I still wasn’t a huge fan of her, but I liked her just a little bit more. I had to give the girl credit for coming to apologize to me, even if she still wouldn’t face Alex.

Speaking of Alex, I thought to myself, I hope Jack’s apology goes okay, too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for continuing to read, fam. It's much appreciated!