Untitled

Bruce Banner - Hulking Comfort

Hulking Comfort
Request for macromea

Bruce was spiraling downward.
You were always there for him, calming the Other Guy to shorten his visits and comforting the frustrated doctor afterwards, making him forget about his split-personality situation if but for a moment.
But lately, it’d been harder for you to comfort your friend. He’d been more stressed and frustrated for one reason or another, the Other Guy had been making more appearances, and he’d resulted to distancing himself from society – including the Avengers and you.
He eventually ended his relationship with you. You had been in a steady, slightly physical relationship with the doctor, only going as far as chaste kisses to quench his fear of getting lost in the heat of the moment and transforming.
You told him that you understood his reasons for ending the relationship, which you did, but it still hurt. It felt as though one of Hawkeye’s arrows had pierced your chest, and the arrowhead was lodged in your heart. There was a hole inside of you where Bruce once was, and helping the Avengers with their scientific needs – which was how you and the doctor had met – was like pouring salt in the wound.

You kept your distance from Avenger-related science projects in an attempt to ease the pain. You didn’t want to be one of those girls that moped around the house in old sweats and a baggy T-shirt, hardly showering and heavily indulging in junk food. You wanted to be strong and productive, working through your breakup healthily by keeping yourself distracted with projects and cleaning.
Your apartment had never sparkled so much.

When the battle of New York came around, you hid inside your apartment, hoping to be far enough from the main battleground that you’d be safe. You could see enough of the fight from your window to know which side was winning – not that you could really tell right now – and every now and then you could see one of the Avengers fly by the window after an enemy.
You could see the Hulk smashing aliens into buildings like a giant hammer. You smiled softly – use your powers for good, Bruce. You knew how much he liked helping people, and this was the best way he could do so under the circumstances.
You were sitting on your couch, imagining how destroyed the city must be by now, when something came crashing through the walls of your building. It flew across the room, landing on the floor with an obnoxiously loud THUD. You let out a shriek as you stood up, looking at the creature that came barreling into your apartment. Upon further inspection you discovered that it was none other than Bruce, slowly shrinking back into his human form.
He groaned, trying to stand. You rushed over and offered him your arms to help pull himself up. He realized who you were and froze on the spot, looking up at you. “Hey, (y/n).”
“Hey, Bruce,” you replied softly. “Working hard out there, huh?”
“Doing what I have to,” he answered, standing fully. Just as you opened your mouth to say… something… he walked towards the door, clenching his fists, ready to change. That was his move. He always clenched his fists before he transformed.
You watched as his body contorted, growing rapidly and changing hue. You looked at the ground as he jumped out of the hole in the wall, back into the field of battle. You missed him. God, did you miss him.

The battle was eventually won, and Tony threw a party in celebration. It was a large-scale Tony Stark party, attending by every Avenger and SHIELD agent and however many random pretty girls Tony decided to invite. Several team mates also brought dates or friends to help celebrate their victory.
Having had worked so much with Bruce and Tony on science projects, of course you were invited. You spend a rather long time debating whether or not you’d actually go. You wanted to support the team and celebrate, tell them how proud you were. But you weren’t sure if you could handle being so close to Bruce.
You finally chose. You would go and continue keeping your distance, socializing with a few friends, whoever decided to talk to you. If Bruce stayed away, you would too. If he approached you, you’d remain calm and friendly.
You dressed in a (f/c) knee-length spaghetti strap dress with a sweetheart neckline. The skirt was made of several layers of thin fabric, ruffling lightly. A rhinestone-studded clasp adorned the space between your breasts. You curled your (h/l) (h/c) locks, pinning a few back away from your face. Light mascara darkened your lashes and a thin layer of lip gloss adorned your lips, while thin (second f/c) bangle bracelets decorated your wrists. Black stilettos with several crisscrossing straps covered your feet.
You arrived at the Tower and rang the doorbell, waiting for JARVIS to recognize you and let you in.
“Welcome back, miss (l/n),” the AI greeted.
“Thank you, JARVIS,” you replied with a smile. “Take me to the celebration, please?”
“Of course.”
You stepped onto the elevator and, within moments, the doors opened and you were greeted by flashing lights, loud music, and hundreds of dancing bodies. You weaved through them, waving hello to the ones that you knew, heading to the bar for a (f/drink). You had no intention of drinking your worries away, like many of your friends – it was just what you did at a party.
Once there, you hopped up onto a bar stool and ordered your drink of choice. The bartender, who was a young man that you didn’t recognize, nodded with a smile, turning to fix it for you. You took that moment to look around, wondering how far away your friends were.
“Hey, (y/n),” Steve’s voice called. You turned in the direction of the voice and smiled as the Captain came into view.
“Hey, Steve,” you replied.
“We were wondering if you’d come,” Steve admitted, taking a seat beside you.
“Why wouldn’t I?” you inquired as your drink arrived.
Steve appeared uncomfortable. “Tony said you and Dr. Banner had broken up. He wasn’t sure you’d want to be around him.”
You breathed a sigh and took a sip of your drink. “Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. You’re Bruce’s friends – he has the right to tell you if he chooses.”
“We’re your friends, too,” Steve reminded.
“Thanks, Steve,” you whispered with a small smile.
And who should join your little party but Bruce Banner himself.
“Dr. Banner,” Steve nodded respectfully. He glanced at you, waiting for your nod of yes, you can handle this situation on your own, before taking his leave.
“Hey, (y/n),” Bruce greeted, claiming the seat that Steve had recently occupied.
You hesitated, unsure of your voice. “Bruce…”
“I’m sorry,” he blurted, looking down at his lap. You turned to face him.
“What?”
“I’m sorry,” he repeated, looking up to meet your eyes.
“Why?” was all you could manage.
“I acted irrationally,” he admitted with a sigh. “I shouldn’t have let you go. You were the best thing that ever happened to me. You were my rock. You were always there whether I was Bruce or… the Other Guy… and you never judged me. And I just let you go because I was scared.”
“What were you scared of?” you whispered, scooting closer to the doctor.
“I was scared – terrified, really – of hurting you. I was afraid that the Other Guy would come out and not recognize you and maybe something would happen where you couldn’t calm him down and… he’d hurt you…”
“Bruce…”
Without a second thought, you leaned forward and pulled the doctor into your arms. His own arms wrapped instinctively around your waist, his face burying itself into your neck. You felt tears prick behind your eyes at the familiarity of the gesture. You ran your thin fingers through his hair, pulling back just enough to press a kiss to his forehead.
“Do you think… you could give me a second chance?” Bruce mumbled into your neck.
“I’m sorry, what?” you questioned, half because you wanted to be sure what he said, and half because you just wanted him to say it again.
He pulled away slightly, looking up and pressing his forehead to yours. “Will you give me a second chance? Will you be my girlfriend again?”
You smiled as the tears returned, threatening to spill over out of happiness. “Of course I will.”
His smile matched yours as he pushed closer, pressing your lips together. His hands tightened on your hips, pulling you closer, while your hands tangled in his hair.
“I love you, (y/n),” he whispered when you broke apart for air.
“I love you, too,” you replied, pulling his lips to yours again.