Way to a Heart

chapter 1

Adjusting her blush colored skirt for the umpteenth time, Kimberly Bordeaux sat patiently in the waiting room of the United Center’s administrative offices. She was there to interview for a position in their food distribution services. It wasn’t her dream job, but she had the training for it after running Williams Bryce stadium for years in South Carolina. She’d needed a change of pace after a particularly bad breakup and decided to move to Chicago on a whim, hoping that the universe would support her decision.

She’d been in the waiting room for 30 minutes before a very angry man with a thick white mustache bombarded the poor mousy looking receptionist with questions.

“Where’s Bill? I’ve called him 20 times today and he hasn’t gotten back to me. I need to know about this event I’m supposed to be hosting.”

“Yes Coach Q, I’ll go ask him.” The young girl said and picked up the phone.

Moments later Coach Q was ushered back into the offices of Bill Griffin, the operations manager for the entire center, and angry, loud, voices came through the closed door.

“What do you mean it’s going to have to be cancelled?! What happened to the caterer? Who the hell fired him?! This is one of the biggest events we sponsor and it happens to be one with MY name on it!” Mr. Quenneville's voice was booming.

Kimberly stood, throwing chocolate colored waves behind her shoulder and gathering her ivory blazer. She buttoned it over her cashmere ivory sweater and took a deep breath.. She had heard enough and calmly walked to the office amid protests from the receptionist. She knocked on the door and didn’t wait for a response.

“Hello Gentlemen,I’m sorry to interrupt, but I’ve been waiting out in the lobby for the last half hour and couldn't help but overhear your conversation. I’m quite sure I could help you out as long as you provide the equipment. I take it, the food has been ordered,yes?”

The two men stared at her blankly, until Bill started digging through a stack of papers on his desk, after reading through the paper he looked up, his skin sallow. “All of it was cancelled.”

Coach Quenneville started swearing under his breath and sank into Bill’s couch.

“No worries.” Kimberly said with a smile. “How do y’all feel about Southern cooking? I suppose though, that this would act as an interview process for me?”

Quenneville looked at the the lady as she looked pointedly at Bill. A small smirk came across the coach’s face as he realized that she basically had just saved his life.

“You’re hired. Give me your contact information and I’ll have someone send you all of the details.” Quenneville said bypassing the bumbling operations manager and taking her under his wing. “And if Bill can’t find you a position after this, then I most certainly can. How do you feel about at-home chefing? I know about 10 guys who are hopelessly dependent on take out and restaurants.”

Kimberly took a moment to consider his proposition. Only a moment. She’d wanted to be a professional chef all of her life, so with a smile she reached out her tiny hand.

“Mr. Quenneville, I’d be perfectly happy to accept your offer, but I ask that you at least give me an opportunity to prove myself first.”

“Of course.” Quenneville smiled and with a handshake their deal was sealed.
♠ ♠ ♠
An introduction, if you will.